Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 12-02-2010, 08:27 AM   #41
koolkeys
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullshark View Post
Just tried on a 13.3" laptop and the iconography is way, way too big. So, my first impression: unusable on a small laptop
This was my impression as well. The default theme is NOT good for a smaller screen. Now, on my 22" monitor, it looks MUCH better. Still not perfect, but definitely better than on the laptop, and better than the 3.0 theme. I'll likely not stay with the default, and might even test using Rado since you can access vertical meters in there already(but you miss some other views that I like with the default- tough decision).

Brent
koolkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:35 AM   #42
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberience View Post
Why are people talking as if this is all finalized? C'mon guys... we've done this a few times now!! You know how it works.
True. I didn't personally mean it to come across that way. I (and some others I guess) was expecting some of those larger things like area selection out of the gate, that's all. WALTER is HUGE though so two thumbs up.

You're 100% dead right though, as is Jason's earlier suggestion, that because it's not there now doesn't mean it ultimately won't be. I'll go back to lurking and watching what happens over the next two months or whatever.

Great start.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #43
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
I'll go back to lurking and watching what happens over the next two months or whatever.
well that's extreme though, isn't it? no need to go hide in a cave, it's not like your thoughts aren't valuable.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #44
bullshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkeys View Post
This was my impression as well. The default theme is NOT good for a smaller screen. Now, on my 22" monitor, it looks MUCH better. Still not perfect, but definitely better than on the laptop, and better than the 3.0 theme.
Hm, I like the 3.xx theme better. The iconography to text size ratio is way better, and it's easier to navigate on projects with medium to large number of tracks. The 4.0 theme icon to text size ratio is out of wack, so if you scale down the interface to fit a smaller screen, then the transport text (selection, playrate etc)disappears. Also, element placement on the TCP is a bit weird, things that should be together are not(like the track number and track name), and placement doesn't reflect the signal flow(like the panner to the left of the input selection, to name one).
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #45
pc999

FOR NOW

The updates is of litle relevance for me, but I still what to see what is possible to do with WALTER (I cant do themes by myself) and ReaSurround may win me later if I get such setup.

Matrix, notation, Linux, mastering, and others already listed in the FR foruns would be more important IMO.
________
Marijuana Card

Last edited by pc999; 08-22-2011 at 04:57 PM.
pc999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #46
Chris_P_Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
I'm personally very disappointed that proper freeze is not part of v4. It is really the only thing I want right now...
Agreed.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:08 AM   #47
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
well that's extreme though, isn't it? no need to go hide in a cave, it's not like your thoughts aren't valuable.
No... I didn't mean it quite that way. I meant that I've already given my thoughts so the only thing to do going forward is to lurk more, talk less, and see what happens during the pre-release period.

I am going to dive into a "WALTER assistance application" this weekend though. Right up my alley.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #48
RBowlin

I was hoping that the FX Browser and Media Explorer (as well as the other docked windows) would NOT have the basic white Windows background. It's all just so, well, Windows 98ish to me. I use a multi-screen setup with some large monitors and when I click on one of these docked windows it's like I'm turning on a spotlight.
As these are standard "Windows" windows, I'm assuming WALTER will not be able to change this look.

As for functionality improvements, I'm still diggin around, but it all looks very good.

-Rich
RBowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #49
Solar

So far in my side, everything of course is better and nicer then earlier versions and the add-ons tools like WALTER and so on will become very handy for Themes Devs.

Althought there are of course many new and 100 of sub menus added that just again shows how Reaper can Be complex & Complete, still I really can not wait to see what and when Cockos is planning to bring those FRequest that many have been looking and waiting for ever since. In my side like:
- an integrated FREEZE feature
- An amazing in-Built Audio Editor with a kind of Melodyne, C5ish integrated
etc..etc...

But as many said, this is NOT yet R4, these are some Pre's so their can be some big game changer if Cockos is planning that way.

And so far, Pre- V4 looks very nice and i'm loooooooving new Tools, Add-ons, Features, Functions that are soooooooooooo many that I need to dig and get use to all of them slowly as we approach to the big R4 release and feed the Devs of feedbacks to make it a great Version to come.

One last thing, i'm truly hoping that Cockos Dev will listen and deliver at least some major FR.

Great jpob to Justin & Co and all amazing contributors here in this great music forum

Cheers!!!
Old 12-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #50
pc999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
I am going to dive into a "WALTER assistance application" this weekend though. Right up my alley.
Great, let us see what WALTER is capable of.
________
Art On The Hill Condo Pattaya

Last edited by pc999; 08-22-2011 at 04:57 PM.
pc999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #51
hopi

ummm.. I think V4 changes can be looked at in two main departments:
1-functionallity changes
2-GUI changes

sure, I realize they are interelated, but anyway...

so my thoughts just on the gui part:

OK... WALTER... thanks to White Tie's explaination I can almost get the drift... it will be now possible to place gui elements wherever you want them and have them resize as desired, etc. cool.. this adds the underlying ability for reaper to be 'skinned' in totally new ways. I big plus.

But on the con's side of it... it's not so fast and easy to work with [IMHO]

WALTER needs a little brother: GEOFFRY

Graphical Entry Options For Freakin' Retarded You'Sirs

[I know, dream on, but hey, dreaming is what it is about]

What I'm saying is a developemnt tool for GUI's that would let you drag and drop element into place, resize them and then it would 'compile' the text code for what you see. The acuall icons could be made or altered as ever.

But perhaps I'm just fearful of WALTER [don't fear the WALTER?]
Old 12-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #52
NoiseMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl View Post
Am I to assume that vertical meters are just a concept that someone heard about but yet to be implemented anywhere?
No Sir. I can positively confirm that vertical TCP meters are not, I repeat, ARE NOT just wet dreams of some REAPER users (including me):

Quickly fumbled together with:

Code:
set tcp.meter [286 33 22 50 1 0.5 1 1]
Hell, this is so friggin' cool, it's not funny anymore...

*off changing pants*
NoiseMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #53
maxdis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
- an integrated FREEZE feature
+1 for that!
maxdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #54
yhertogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagonnawantthatcowbell View Post
...like plug in control via mackie control... ...for mac...
any additional functionality for control surfaces would have been a great addition to R4. I am rather disappointed that this is'nt going to be the focus of R4, and within the same context , the lack of new automation features also rubs me the wrong way.

Yves
yhertogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #55
plamuk

Quote:
But on the con's side of it... it's not so fast and easy to work with [IMHO]

WALTER needs a little brother: GEOFFRY

Graphical Entry Options For Freakin' Retarded You'Sirs

[I know, dream on, but hey, dreaming is what it is about]
word. luckily the option is there to wait and let the theme wizards have at it. odds are, someone will create/upload the panel types that you want over the course of the next couple months.

it'd be nice if a 3rd party developer could build GEOFFRY, allowing devs to focus on larger matters. any volunteers?
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #56
yagonnawantthatcowbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhertogh View Post
any additional functionality for control surfaces would have been a great addition to R4. I am rather disappointed that this is'nt going to be the focus of R4, and within the same context , the lack of new automation features also rubs me the wrong way.

Yves
My impression so far with R4 is that they are so far focused too much on Graphics and shortcuts, the new take lanes are nice, as is the new panner, but not much has been done to take it to the next level, ie: control room section, better control surface support, omf support, better video support, integrated wave form editor, etc.

So far doesn't seem like a version that warrants a new number.
yagonnawantthatcowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #57
BenK-msx

damn all those "UI is top priority" threads!!

you blew it up! - damn you all to hell!! (ala a famous film)

-
not really. part 1 of many on the voyage to v4 final...
Old 12-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #58
Glennbo

Quote:
Just tried on a 13.3" laptop and the iconography is way, way too big. So, my first impression: unusable on a small laptop
Why not go to Options, Preferences, General, Advanced UI/System Tweaks, and put a checkmark on "Scale UI Elements", setting it to something like 75%?

I used to use that on a 7" Eee PC with Reaper 2.x
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #59
bullshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Why not go to Options, Preferences, General, Advanced UI/System Tweaks, and put a checkmark on "Scale UI Elements", setting it to something like 75%?
because:

Quote:
The 4.0 theme icon to text size ratio is out of wack, so if you scale down the interface to fit a smaller screen, then the transport text (selection, playrate etc) disappears.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #60
Jae.Thomas

Quote:

that's why.... its NOT. It is an alpha - I am sure things are going to change rapidly. However, even right now, there are enough game changing features to warrant a new version number - and also, keep in mind that the development of reaper is not like most software.

Quote:
My impression so far with R4 is that they are so far focused too much on Graphics and shortcuts, the new take lanes are nice, as is the new panner, but not much has been done to take it to the next level, ie: control room section, better control surface support, omf support, better video support, integrated wave form editor, etc.
they did so something with video support.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #61
koolkeys

Quote:

I disagree. I think it's worthy of a new number, no doubt about it. I DO think there are some major features, as you mentioned, that still need added at some point. I've got my own list of features.

But what is added is absolutely enough for a full new release, IMO. It just doesn't happen to do what you might want, which is going to happen. Not everyone can be pleased, or should expect everything they need put in all at once(this coming from somebody who has been openly critical of Reaper to a fault at times).

Brent
koolkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #62
bullshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
- and also, keep in mind that the development of reaper is not like most software.
Yeah, personally it's pretty much what I expected, an incremental release with a new GUI.

Would have been nice if at least one of the little things I want would have made it in there, but the fact that it contains nothing that I wanted, and that I prefer the older GUI, is a personal thing.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #63
Glennbo

Quote:
because:
Hmmm, at .75% I'm not seeing that. I do see the selection stuff moves over to the far right, rather than right below the counters though.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #64
bullshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Hmmm, at .75% I'm not seeing that. I do see the selection stuff moves over to the far right, rather than right below the counters though.
"disappear" as in 'get too freaking small to read'.

Also, just noticed it screw up item placement(faders and button).
Old 12-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #65
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Yeah, personally it's pretty much what I expected, an incremental release with a new GUI.
that's NOT really what it is. There are some major features added besides the GUI. But true, it is still not as flashy as other version number increases by other companies who don't update their software on as regular of a basis as cockos. This is just the beginning, really.

Quote:
Would have been nice if at least one of the little things I want would have made it in there, but the fact that it contains nothing that I wanted, and that I prefer the older GUI, is a personal thing.
well this is what it really comes down to, innit? All into the realm of subjectivity, when a person doesn't get what THEY personally want, they don't see anything except a new GUI staring them in the face
Old 12-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #66
IXix

My impressions are that it's bloody fantastic. It's ALPHA 2! It's probably a couple of months away from being BETA and a couple more months from actual release. As a programmer myself I can appreciate that the amount of work that has already gone into this thing is astonishing. Similarly astonishing amounts of work will undoubtedly go into it before it goes 'official'.

Can we have less whining and more constructive criticism? Even better, do some actual testing and report some bugs. If you aren't prepared to do that then you shouldn't be playing with an ALPHA version of the product.

End rant.
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #67
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXix View Post
My impressions are that it's bloody fantastic. It's ALPHA 2! It's probably a couple of months away from being BETA and a couple more months from actual release. As a programmer myself I can appreciate that the amount of work that has already gone into this thing is astonishing. Similarly astonishing amounts of work will undoubtedly go into it before it goes 'official'.

Can we have less whining and more constructive criticism? Even better, do some actual testing and report some bugs. If you aren't prepared to do that then you shouldn't be playing with an ALPHA version of the product.

End rant.
Well, I'm totally bummed coz I wanted Reaper 4 to write my music for me, and I don't see that or the "Talent" plugin I requested either!!! <G>
Old 12-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #68
bullshark

There's 14 threads for "constructive criticism". This one is called impressions, started by a user.

What, you want people to lie? Ok then, Reaper 4 is the best lay I've ever had, and the coffee it made in the morning isn't too shabby either.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #69
l0calh05t

Still has the same old, totally wrong pan and fader. But WALTER seems like a great new addition.

Stereo panning as pan+width is not a good choice, if you ask me.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:57 AM   #70
karl

Quote:
Reaper 4 is the best lay I've ever had, and the coffee it made in the morning isn't too shabby either.
I dunno - For me, I thought it could have taken the initiative a bit more. And a bit too much sugar in my coffee for my liking. Still, it's only an Alpha!
karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:52 PM   #71
fuseburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuseburn View Post
Anyway, so much stuff going on, I think I'll have to dive deeper into what's actually possible with the new toys (mouse zone editor ftw !) before I start crying for my personal age-old feature request (edit grouping) - and probably everyone who's feeling the same should do that ;-)
Already dived, it's safe to cry, don't worry. I've got enough tissues here for the both of us!
Already dived ? Why ? Where ? NOBODY wants my eternal love ? I feel rejected ! boooohoooo...
Old 12-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #72
habsi

Have not tried it too deeply. WALTER seems to be very nice. I also like to be able to save comps. I am very happy with the take lanes. But I have to try it further.

Mostly I am veeeery curious what will happen next. Of course I hope for some MIDI Love. Schwa said they are working on something big in that department. Hmmmmmm.
habsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:06 PM   #73
run, megalodon

Walter is awesome. I wonder who will be the first to make a pixel for pixel copy of the protools or logic gui? Well, we need a bit more to accomplish that, but we can come close.
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #74
dub3000

Quote:

End rant.
strongly agree. couldn't have put it better myself.
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:38 PM   #75
stuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000 View Post
strongly agree. couldn't have put it better myself.
Totally agree here as well. As a software developer myself, I'm amazed at the amount of work that went into V4 and look forward to the upcoming improvements. V4 kicks ass!

Last edited by stuman; 12-02-2010 at 09:41 PM. Reason: saved
stuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:44 AM   #76
jens

Quote:

To me it does - absolutely. I for one am glad that they focus on the workflow for now.

There is so much great new stuff in there which makes working quicker and easier.

The media-bay, the comps, the mouse-modifiers, the track-manager, WALTER - all this is great big useful stuff already.

Personally I also hope thaat they do not add many additional features for 4.0 but instead rather spend their time on improving this new stuff.

Then, after that, they can introduce other new features in 4.x.
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:46 AM   #77
jens

Quote:
If you aren't prepared to do that then you shouldn't be playing with an ALPHA version of the product.
Absolutely and totally!
Old 12-03-2010, 04:32 AM   #78
fladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc999 View Post
... Linux ... and others already listed in the FR foruns would be more important IMO.
Agreed!

fladd
Old 12-03-2010, 05:19 AM   #79
jens

Why is Linux important? You can run it Reaper on any Windows, you can run it on any Mac, so you can run it on any machine!

There is absolutely no reasonable need for a Linux version.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:29 AM   #80
Evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post
There is absolutely no reasonable need for a Linux version.
Assuming legitimate software is used at all times, a Linux version would make it cheaper to build a basic DAW, and even allow Reaper-based hardware devices (ala Receptor) of all sorts. With customizable Linux versions, and now customizable Reaper UI (WALTER), this is not too far off.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote