Old 02-11-2015, 02:51 PM   #321
Banned
Human being with feelings

You're missing planet9's point: folders *do* mix their child tracks. Hence the analogy with folder tracks isn't appropriate.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:10 PM   #322
paulheu

Try and understand the concept of VCA please. A VCA master has nothing, nada, zip to do with anything but setting the maximum control voltage for the channels assigned to it.

It has no reference to the actual volume or any other value on those channels so it _can't_ reference an overall waveform.

Why is there so many people here who seem to want to make a VCA fader into a group fader (or folder) when it's not. It does not control the overall volume of it's member channels, it controls _each individual_ one. As mentioned before, it is a controller, not a channel/group/folder fader which is a _very_ different thing.
paulheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:18 PM   #323
timboid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
You're missing planet9's point: folders *do* mix their child tracks. Hence the analogy with folder tracks isn't appropriate.
No, I understand.
But the graphic waveform on a folder root is not the representation on audio being mixed, but only visual overlay of waveforms of tracks in folders. You can defeat the master output of a track in a folder (does not really make sense but who knows) and yet the waveform would still be drawn. And it doesn't follow the volume.
And what would you loose if you have such graph?
timboid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:23 PM   #324
timboid

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulheu View Post
Try and understand the concept of VCA please. A VCA master has nothing, nada, zip to do with anything but setting the maximum control voltage for the channels assigned to it.

It has no reference to the actual volume or any other value on those channels so it _can't_ reference an overall waveform.

Why is there so many people here who seem to want to make a VCA fader into a group fader (or folder) when it's not. It does not control the overall volume of it's member channels, it controls _each individual_ one. As mentioned before, it is a controller, not a channel/group/folder fader which is a _very_ different thing.
Why do you think I don;t understand?
There are lot of things which have no direct relation to the physical playback yet they are there (waveforms themselves being prime example).
The goal is simple -- navigation.
Say I have 8 VCA on top of my project and one of them for back vox which is down at the bottom of my project. I want to select few words and trim them down. To find the location I would need to scroll down and then back up. If the graphic was there at the top it would save me some time.
So, what's being broken by my idea?
Old 02-12-2015, 02:23 PM   #325
airon

It's likely possible, though not in a accurate way, just like it isn't accurate for the folders.

Not a bad idea as a general indicator. If you want an accurate representation, you can scratch that idea since it would cost too much DSP at all times to keep it up to date. There are more important things than that level of visual detail, and it's likely just about everything else.

But a general indicator, I'm all for that. That's all folder-track waveform backgrounds are, and all vertical scrolling waveforms are for Harrison and Euphonix consoles, and now Cubase 8.

Btw, Protools displays the largest peak of its slaves in the peak meter of the VCA master. Reaper doesn't work that way as its track type is universal. It would require a new WALTER layout that might use such a feature, not that I have a clue who needs this. I never look at meters unless there's something wrong or I need to check for general loudness.

Right now, the backend of the VCA functionality has not been announced as being complete, so the user interface won't get attention from the developers just yet.

Hold on to that idea.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:29 PM   #326
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Btw, Protools displays the largest peak of its slaves in the peak meter of the VCA master.
Correct. The PT VCA meters have specific conditions:

Level Meter

On VCA Master tracks, level meters indicate the
highest level occurring on any of its individual
tracks, not a summed level of all slave tracks.

The channel format of level meters on the VCA
Master is set according to the channel formats of
its slave tracks, as follows:

• If all slave tracks are the same channel format
(mono, stereo or a multichannel format), the
number of level meters on the VCA Master track
is identical to that of the slave tracks.

• If the slave tracks are different formats, the num-
ber of level meters on the VCA Master track is
set to one.

Shane

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:20 AM   #327
timboid

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
It's likely possible, though not in a accurate way, just like it isn't accurate for the folders.

Not a bad idea as a general indicator. If you want an accurate representation, you can scratch that idea since it would cost too much DSP at all times to keep it up to date. There are more important things than that level of visual detail, and it's likely just about everything else.

But a general indicator, I'm all for that. That's all folder-track waveform backgrounds are, and all vertical scrolling waveforms are for Harrison and Euphonix consoles, and now Cubase 8.
Indeed that's all I ever implied, that's why I always mentioned folder-track waveforms as reference.