Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 07-07-2022, 10:04 AM   #41
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
BTW, I'm currently using LinVST again because an update to Yabridge broke things on my system, and since I still had LinVST installed, I just switched back to it, rather than spend time chasing down what blew Yabridge up for me. I just want my stuff to work!
I had a bunch of stuff stop working recently as well but it turned out to be the newer versions of wine. New yabridge made everything run better tho once I sorted that.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:24 AM   #42
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I had a bunch of stuff stop working recently as well but it turned out to be the newer versions of wine. New yabridge made everything run better tho once I sorted that.
I may try fixing it at some point. It was weird in that I got the WINE update and the Yabridge update at the same time. The first issue was that Yabridge now puts all the .so files in the .vst folder, and doesn't automatically remove the previous ones.

I got that sorted and it looked like all was well, but then I noticed I could no longer load sounds in Kontakt. I could load a track template with a predefined instrument loaded, but if I tried to load a different sample, Yabridge would crash. I still had LinVST so I tried it, and everything worked, so that's where my system sits today.

One thing I think I'm noticing is a project I'm working on currently has a bunch of instances of Guitar Rig, and takes longer to load than I think it was taking Yabridge. Other than that, I can load samples in Kontakt without crashing again using LinVST.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:34 PM   #43
DuX

I use Windows to run plugins I miss in Linux. Just stream them with Reaper's ReaStream into my main Linux machine. Since I have plenty of MIDI controllers, I have one keyboard just for that, connected to it. It's a pretty cool system... no WINE involved except wine... :P
Old 07-14-2022, 11:24 AM   #44
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuX View Post
I use Windows to run plugins I miss in Linux. Just stream them with Reaper's ReaStream into my main Linux machine.
Great idea, never thought of that! Yabridge got all 1200+ plugins (barring iZolok dongle BS) working on my puter, but NI hardware isn't recognized, so I had to dedicate a windows machine for running Komplete and Maschine. Can it also stream MIDI?
Old 07-14-2022, 09:57 PM   #45
mschnell

Quote:
I use Windows to run plugins I miss in Linux. Just stream them with Reaper's ReaStream into my main Linux machine.
An advanced Version of ReaMote would be great for such purpose...

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 11:07 AM   #46
DuX

Quote:
Great idea, never thought of that! Yabridge got all 1200+ plugins (barring iZolok dongle BS) working on my puter, but NI hardware isn't recognized, so I had to dedicate a windows machine for running Komplete and Maschine. Can it also stream MIDI?
Yes!

Regarding ReaMote, I absolutely agree. A version of ReaMote that doesn't need plugins to be installed on both computers, just on the server one. That would be really awesome!
Old 07-17-2022, 05:24 AM   #47
7thresonance

Need to game lmao
7thresonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 12:15 AM   #48
mschnell

Quote:
Yes!

Regarding ReaMote, I absolutely agree. A version of ReaMote that doesn't need plugins to be installed on both computers, just on the server one. That would be really awesome!
There have been several discussions on that during the recent years.
-Michael
Old 07-18-2022, 01:25 AM   #49
norbury brook

Quote:
Yes!

you need this

https://audiogridder.com/

works fantastic when you get it set up properly.

M
Old 07-18-2022, 01:57 PM   #50
mschnell

Exactly !

Theoretically you could use Windows in a virtual machine on the Linux box instead of using Wine.

Someone might want to compare the performance....

-Michael
Old 07-24-2022, 05:35 PM   #51
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Exactly !

Theoretically you could use Windows in a virtual machine on the Linux box instead of using Wine.

Someone might want to compare the performance....

-Michael
It's not comparable in terms of performance. I guess because "Wine Is Not an Emulator." If one were going to go that route, it would be better to just dual boot, rather than incurring the overhead of running two full OS's.
Old 07-24-2022, 07:29 PM   #52
michael diemer

Not only a significant performance issue: if you run windows virtually, you still have all the security risks as "real" windows. you still need AV, updates, etc. Definitely not worth wasting your time over that.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:42 AM   #53
carbon

Reminds me of an old "What Video Game System Should I Own" flow chart.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:52 AM   #54
Glennbo

I had Windows 10 on my new Asus laptop for almost five minutes!

When I first took it out of the box, I powered it up to make sure that it would power up okay. When it got to the "Lets setup Windows" screen, I held down the power button until it cycled off.

Essentially, I used Windows to verify the hardware was ready to install Linux.

Then I booted from a freshly made Manjaro flash drive, told it to erase all partitions on the SSD and to install Manjaro.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:28 AM   #55
fabio77

As I said earlier, I just need Windows now to render some tracks I create on the Steinberg Halion Symphonic Orchestra.

I needed Windows also some times to flash a bootable Ubuntu USB-Stick via rufus, since unetbootin does not work anymore on my Ubuntu, and the Ubuntu USB creator never did. But now I found a new tool called etcher, that is working fine on linux. And almost at the same time I heard about the tool ventoy, that is working on linux too.
It's a tool to create a multiboot USB-Stick easily. I had to flash the ventoy-image to the stick once, and than I could copy the needed Linux and Windows images on the stick. And it's easy to change images by deleting and copy new ones to it.

I tested it by installing a new Windows an three versions of manjaro on my laptop. And because I need Windows less than before, it's partition size shrink a lot
fabio77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:52 AM   #56
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabio77 View Post
I needed Windows also some times to flash a bootable Ubuntu USB-Stick via rufus, since unetbootin does not work anymore on my Ubuntu, and the Ubuntu USB creator never did. But now I found a new tool called etcher, that is working fine on linux.
When I made my Manjaro flash boot drive, I just entered this command in a terminal window. I had just downloaded a Manjaro .iso image that was in my Downloads folder. Worked perfectly first try. SDA was the flash drive on my system, which I determined using Gparted.

Code:
sudo dd bs=4M if=~/Downloads/manjaro-xfce-21.3.5-220721-linux515.iso of=/dev/sda status=progress oflag=sync
Old 08-01-2022, 09:06 AM   #57
fabio77

Quote:
When I made my Manjaro flash boot drive, I just entered this command in a terminal window. I had just downloaded a Manjaro .iso image that was in my Downloads folder. Worked perfectly first try. SDA was the flash drive on my system, which I determined using Gparted.

Code:
sudo dd bs=4M if=~/Downloads/manjaro-xfce-21.3.5-220721-linux515.iso of=/dev/sda status=progress oflag=sync
I found this option with dd too, on the same site etcher was introduced. I copied the dd command and saved it into a text-file to try it. But than one or two days later I found the ventoy tool. And I often thought about a multiboot-stick, but I didn't want to spend much time in learning to create one.
But now it is so easy I bought a 64GB stick for it. And with the ventoy I created a 50GB partition on it just for images and a little partition for post-install files
Old 08-01-2022, 09:25 AM   #58
Glennbo

Quote:
I found this option with dd too, on the same site etcher was introduced. I copied the dd command and saved it into a text-file to try it. But than one or two days later I found the ventoy tool. And I often thought about a multiboot-stick, but I didn't want to spend much time in learning to create one.
But now it is so easy I bought a 64GB stick for it. And with the ventoy I created a 50GB partition on it just for images and a little partition for post-install files
I do like the idea of multi-boot options . . . so, I just installed ventoy! I'll have to download some .iso files and give it a try.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:54 AM   #59
fabio77

Quote:
I do like the idea of multi-boot options . . . so, I just installed ventoy! I'll have to download some .iso files and give it a try.
Yes, I thought exact the same
Old 08-01-2022, 10:53 AM   #60
Glennbo

Quote:
Yes, I thought exact the same
I just made up a Manjaro / Xubuntu dual boot flash. In my boot drives menu, I see the flash drive listed twice with identical text.

The first entry did not boot, but the second one listed booted to a Ventoy menu with Manjaro and Xubuntu as choices.
Old 08-01-2022, 11:05 AM   #61
fabio77

Quote:
I just made up a Manjaro / Xubuntu dual boot flash. In my boot drives menu, I see the flash drive listed twice with identical text.

The first entry did not boot, but the second one listed booted to a Ventoy menu with Manjaro and Xubuntu as choices.
Maybe the two listed USB devices are one starting on MBR and the other on EFI. I think I had two listed devices also. But I have them too, if I start a normal bootable stick with a linux distro on it.

But it's cool I have several distros on it + windows. So If anywhere needs to be made an installation, I'm prepared

And with the ventoy tool you can choose in the options (if you use the UI - otherwise you can tell by the right command) to make a separate partition on the stick, where you can put some files on it.
Old 08-01-2022, 11:39 AM   #62
Glennbo

Quote:
Maybe the two listed USB devices are one starting on MBR and the other on EFI. I think I had two listed devices also. But I have them too, if I start a normal bootable stick with a linux distro on it.
Prolly something like that.

Quote:
But it's cool I have several distros on it + windows. So If anywhere needs to be made an installation, I'm prepared

And with the ventoy tool you can choose in the options (if you use the UI - otherwise you can tell by the right command) to make a separate partition on the stick, where you can put some files on it.
I used a 64GB flash drive to try it out, so I could eventually have a lot of .iso images on it.
Old 08-01-2022, 02:33 PM   #63
fabio77

Quote:
Prolly something like that.

I used a 64GB flash drive to try it out, so I could eventually have a lot of .iso images on it.
The good thing is, the images are, like every linux image I know, useable without installation too. So this stick is really good for testing. Yesterday I tried Manjaro on my PC without installation, to see if my second monitor would be recognized correctly and if I could switch it off.

I now even have a Kali Linux image on the stick. Never heard about it before I was searching for iso-files, but know I can be a Hacker and I like the dragon logo.
Old 08-01-2022, 04:43 PM   #64
Glennbo

Quote:
The good thing is, the images are, like every linux image I know, useable without installation too. So this stick is really good for testing. Yesterday I tried Manjaro on my PC without installation, to see if my second monitor would be recognized correctly and if I could switch it off.

I now even have a Kali Linux image on the stick. Never heard about it before I was searching for iso-files, but know I can be a Hacker and I like the dragon logo.
I use a little HDTV as my second monitor when I need to throw something over there to it, and I setup a profile in Manjaro's advanced video setup so it recognizes that monitor by its hardware ID and knows to set it as the extended 2nd monitor.

The little HDTV has an HDMI switch so it's either my second monitor or it's setup to use with a Roku stick. When I hit the switch to make it the second monitor for my DAW, it always configures correctly, and is ready to go. When I flip the switch to the Roku, Manjaro instantly sees the second monitor is no longer there, and re-configures for single monitor use.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:16 PM   #65
fabio77

Quote:
I use a little HDTV as my second monitor when I need to throw something over there to it, and I setup a profile in Manjaro's advanced video setup so it recognizes that monitor by its hardware ID and knows to set it as the extended 2nd monitor.

The little HDTV has an HDMI switch so it's either my second monitor or it's setup to use with a Roku stick. When I hit the switch to make it the second monitor for my DAW, it always configures correctly, and is ready to go. When I flip the switch to the Roku, Manjaro instantly sees the second monitor is no longer there, and re-configures for single monitor use.
Ooh, this sounds great I will get back to you for this when I do the manjaro installation on my desktop, if I don't can figure it out myself But good to know what I could search for.

But I have to finish at least one project before I can set up new.
Old 08-05-2022, 11:59 AM   #66
foxAsteria

Quote:
I setup a profile in Manjaro's advanced video setup so it recognizes that monitor by its hardware ID and knows to set it as the extended 2nd monitor.
Can I ask how? Sometimes if I start my monitors in the wrong order or one goes to sleep, it messes up all my widgets trying to display them on the wrong screen.
Old 08-05-2022, 01:30 PM   #67
Glennbo

Quote:
Can I ask how? Sometimes if I start my monitors in the wrong order or one goes to sleep, it messes up all my widgets trying to display them on the wrong screen.
Go to Settings, Display and click the Advanced tab. There, you can create a new monitor profile. Mine is set to detect when I hit the HDMI switch on the small HDTV monitor, and to always assign it as the right and secondary monitor.

Lastly, I have the "Configure new displays when connected", and "Automatically enable profiles when new display is connected" options enabled. "Show popup windows to identify displays" is disabled.

Basically, get your monitors the way you want them, and then create a profile, which will be the current setup. When the system sees all the monitors for that profile, it will set them like you had them when you created the profile.
Old 08-07-2022, 04:34 PM   #68
foxAsteria

Quote:
Basically, get your monitors the way you want them, and then create a profile, which will be the current setup. When the system sees all the monitors for that profile, it will set them like you had them when you created the profile.
So easy! Nice, thanks!
Old 08-07-2022, 04:49 PM   #69
fabio77

@Glennbo and @foxAsteria:
Is this "Manjaro's advanced video setup" a xfce related profile or manjaro in general? I am on kde now and could not find an advanced tab.
Old 08-07-2022, 06:32 PM   #70
Glennbo

Quote:
@Glennbo and @foxAsteria:
Is this "Manjaro's advanced video setup" a xfce related profile or manjaro in general? I am on kde now and could not find an advanced tab.
I'm on Manjaro XFCE and see a panel like this.

Old 08-07-2022, 06:44 PM   #71
Glennbo

Quote:
So easy! Nice, thanks!
Glad that worked for you. I haven't tried using multiple profiles since I only have two monitors, but you can have more than one profile if you have a lot of monitors connected so they will configure to whatever monitors are powered up and connected.
Old 08-07-2022, 06:45 PM   #72
fabio77

Quote:
I'm on Manjaro XFCE and see a panel like this.

Ok, settings like that I can't find here. Thank you.
Old 08-07-2022, 06:57 PM   #73
Glennbo

Quote:
Ok, settings like that I can't find here. Thank you.
I think it must be an XFCE thing.
Old 08-08-2022, 03:07 AM   #74
gauderbock

It seems to be XFCE in general, I've got the same setup running with Ubuntu.
gauderbock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 06:10 AM   #75
lucas_LCS

Quote:
I think it must be an XFCE thing.
Just to confirm, I also run Manjaro XCFE and I see that panel.

::
Old 08-08-2022, 07:27 AM   #76
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
Just to confirm, I also run Manjaro XCFE and I see that panel.

::
I find monitor profiles to be very handy. Normally the 10.5" HDTV on the side of my desk has a Roku connected, but when I hit the HDMI switch I put on the back of it, so it switches to become a second 1080p HDMI monitor for my DAW, it always configures properly now.

Before I knew about monitor profiles, if I booted my machine up it would sometimes have the monitors reversed and I'd have to manually move the desktops to their correct monitor.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:58 AM   #77
CDS

Today I decided to be rid of windows and all there demands that they put on users of their poorly designed software.

Cds
Old 08-16-2022, 06:19 AM   #78
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDS View Post
Today I decided to be rid of windows and all there demands that they put on users of their poorly designed software.
Welcome to the club! I wouldn't say Windows or most audio software written for Windows is "poorly designed" but often completely disrespectful of users' privacy coupled with extremely frustrating protection mechanisms (dongles be gone!). Install a firewall like simplewall on Windows 11 and watch how many times the OS tries to call home Crazy...