Old 04-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
mschuster
Human being with feelings

Default Guitar Instrumental - Hard Rock

more guitar wanking...

feedback on the mix would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

mark

https://soundcloud.com/markbschuster...-and-light-the
mschuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
mschuster

50 views and no comments... that's no good.

does the mix suck? song suck? any feedback would be appreciated.

thanks.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
Kearley

I think it sounds good.

If ONLY stuff sounded this good back in the Shrapnel days.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:07 AM   #4
OpIvy

Yeah, it seems no-one is interested in leaving comments these days. I wouldn't judge the mix on views vs comments. People just lazy.

Mix sound real good imo. There's some nice lead guitar tones....
and you're a bit of a gun aren't ya! Tight playing

Bass may be a touch low, but it's mixed very well.
OpIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
mschuster

thanks guys! guitar instrumentals have never been too popular..
Old 04-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
morgon

Its great. Full blown guitar hero stuff still cuts it in my world.

[sometimes im download restricted so i dont get to check out all the links that i want to, just topped up plan]
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
mschuster

thanks!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
pbattersby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschuster View Post
50 views and no comments... that's no good.
It can sometimes take days before comments begin to roll in. Patience. It looks looks you only waited about 9 hours.

However, guitar shreddage like this deserves attention. Wish I could play like that but I could never get myself to put in the necessary practice time.

Very good stuff.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #9
mschuster

patience has never been one of my strong suits, but one has to find it mildly suspicious, or even troubling, when 50 or more people view a post and not one person replies. granted, not everyone will reply, but 50?? even "this sucks so horribly, my dog could do better" would have been somewhat explainable. but i digress..

thank you. very kind words. to be honest, i don't practice much anymore either, i just record a thousand takes until i get one that doesn't totally suck...lol. the joys, and benefits, of home recording.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #10
kindafishy

Yeah, dude, lots to like here. Great riffing. I think it's gotta be hard to write a guitar focused instrumental. I've never done it. I don't think I could.

I especially like the groove that starts around 1:07. Rocks my world. I love a tight, locked in groove like that. Wicked riff there. See... what I would do is write a whole song around that one riff.

Nice job man. Dig it.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #11
mschuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
Yeah, dude, lots to like here. Great riffing. I think it's gotta be hard to write a guitar focused instrumental. I've never done it. I don't think I could.

I especially like the groove that starts around 1:07. Rocks my world. I love a tight, locked in groove like that. Wicked riff there. See... what I would do is write a whole song around that one riff.

Nice job man. Dig it.
thanks man, always appreciate your comments and willingness to listen.

i do think writing guitar instrumentals are tougher than people think. Satch and others make it look (sound) easy. it's not. you have to keep someone's attention with a lot less. i use to try to subscribe to some 'formula' for this stuff - but decided (when that didn't pan out so well) that the best music is simply written for yourself. not to sound corny, but really - at the end of the day - it's YOU that has to love it. other than the listens here and a few other places - that's about it.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:45 AM   #12
VikingGuitar

I know how frustrating it is to not get replies, but lots of views. Just leaves you going "WELL!?!?!?"

As far as the song goes, it's definitely well done, but not as much my thing. I really like guitar instrumentals and hard rock and stuff, but this has a certain "kickin' ass and drinkin' beer" vibe that I never really got into :-P I really DO like the 2;38 to about 2:52 section (has a bit more chordal difference than the rest of the song.) It's definitely well arranged and the performance is spot on.

If you're looking for more critical advice, I could point out a few things, but feel free to ignore them if you like. I'm not an expert at this by any means.

- The bass level sounds inconsistent throughout the mix. There are times where I'm not sure if it's playing, and then times where it totally overpowers the rhythm guitar. Bass is f'ing HARD to mix properly, since it tends to be such a dynamic instrument. I usually use a few very soft compressors, as well as a multiband comp to target some specific problem areas.
- The rhythm guitar tone (and to a lesser extent, the whole song) seems a little hollow to me. If this is what you're going for, no worries. It seems like it has bass but not much power behind it. Feels a little muddy, but not really warm, if that makes sense. Meh. I can't describe it better than that.

Like I said, these are my only real nitpicks with it. Otherwise, killer job!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #13
mschuster

yea, those views and no comments is definitely a bit of a 'head scratcher'.. i won't belabor the topic anymore.. eat is what eat is...

thanks for the comments! "kickin' ass and drinkin' beer"... lol.. hmmm. well, i suppose this genre has its place in the world too.. although deep down i suspect i would rather be known as a musician's musician who occasionally writes something you can drink beer too and, should the occasion arise, kick someone's ass.

i think some of your critiques are spot on. i've never felt i have a "warm" sound either - and i suspect it boils down to the cheap bass i play. hate to use "that old card", but when it comes to bass, the quality really matters. i'd love to have a fender P or Jazz, just cash strapped. always cash strapped. probably goes for the guitar too. i used a cheap ESP 256 with humbuckers - and impulses. impulses are great - and even though i'm using RECAB and it's new "cab air" feature - it never completely replaces the warmth of a well placed mic on an old v30 or alike.

as for the bass, i use ReaCOMP into a brick wall limiter to try to even things out, but it probably could use a little more work. i pull ReaXCcomp into action in the mastering phase to filter midlows/lows, or what i call mastering.. perhaps it would make sense to push that piece back to the 'mixing' stage and just on the bass. perhaps it's filter too much on the master ch! ??

thanks again!