Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 07-08-2020, 10:11 AM   #1
DarkStar
Human being with feelings

Default FX lists and parameter knobs (MCP and TCP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
And still separate section for FX parameters is not reinstated as it used to be. I would really appreciate a statement regarding this - will it come back and if not, why? Because things are not looking very useful as they are now IMHO.

There is a very real organizational benefit in having a separate section for FX parameters - for starters, you can make sure that FX parameters start at exactly the same position vertically on all tracks, regardless of how many FX are actually loaded on a track. The way it is currently, when grouping FX params with FX slots is disabled, FX parameters can start at any random position vertically depending on how many FX a track has. Not good for overview, not good for wokflow. In fact, terrible.

I cannot understand why J&S don't see it as important to retain this workflow as it used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I was just about to do this.

Here you go. This is how it was before:

So if you assigned the same parameters from a particular effect in a particular order (say, EQ gains, low to high), they all get shown at exactly the same level, regardless of where the EQ actually is on the track (first, second, whatever slot).

This is how it is now:

Now tell me how this makes any organizational sense and improves workflow? It doesn't.

All of this could've been done without images, as the words were clear enough. And anyone who actually worked this way before would immediately notice the impediment (Joe90 did, for one).

And yes, I used the word impediment. Because it is, it's slowing down overview and workflow instead of speeding it up. If devs don't understand or see this as impediment, they sorely need to employ a good UX designer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
I concur, visually the large separation makes it faster.
Just a wild idea: how about being able to drag each item (FX or param knob) into any slot? Both in the MCP and TCP. Of course the FX order would be the processing order. As a bonus, that would
-- let you line up the same FX and its parameters across the tracks,
-- avoid the problem of having to add the parameter knobs in the order you want to see them,
-- avoid the problem of forgetting one param and wanting to add it between the other,
-- make it easier to find FX or param in the TCP.

In the TCP the items would NOT move if you increase the track height, And only the param knobs would move if you increase the TXP width. In the MCP I have left empty slots after the FX and between each FX's parameter knobs.

Or, for the TCP, you could put the FX at the top of each column with the parameter knobs for each FX arranged beneath them.

Last edited by DarkStar; 07-08-2020 at 10:18 AM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:48 AM   #2
vsthem
Human being with feelings

Was there any movement on this? I'd love to be able to access some parameters of FX on the TCP, but only when I expand the track. In other words, in a minimized state, I'd only see inserts and sends, but when I enlarge the track vertically, I'd be able to see the parameters.

Is this currently possible?
vsthem is offline   Reply With Quote