Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 07-06-2020, 06:52 AM   #1
Meo-Ada Mespotine
Human being with feelings

Default Volume-Envelope-Management as in Hindenburg

Recently we were asked, if volume-editing is possible, as it is possible in the audio-software "Hindenburg" and we got sent this gif, which shows how it's done and how convenient and "cleaned up" it looks.

So I would share this gif and make some requests, that could allow doing this.

First, here's the gif:

What you can see are three things basically:
1) It shows the peaks underneath the volume-envelope.
2) You can add new draggable envelope-points quite easily within a time-selection.
3) It allows adding a new "drag-envelope point", which allows dragging the volume between a two envelope-points.

Let's go into more detail:

1) Showing the peaks underneath the volume-envelope is really awesome. Especially if mostly edit items and work with volume, it looks real cleaned-up. You can immediately see, where the volume-envelope is at a given point, just because it is displayed underneath it.
This would be awesome to have in Reaper too, even if it's probably only feasible for volume and not other envelopes and probably only for rectified peaks.
It makes the whole thing readable much better, which is very helpful for those, who work with a lot of audio with high dynamics, who are controlled by volumne-env.
Podcasts, Audiobooks, stuff with loud and silent voices, which needs partial volume-control, would benefit from it.
I think it should be only with item-volume-envelopes, so dragging, copying and pasting around the item with all it's volume-envelopepoints wouldn't be a problem.

2) You can see in the gif, that there's a way of easily adding two envelope-points within a time-selection, who act like a "fadein" and "fadeout"-envelope-point. This would be cool to have as a mouse-modifier, so be able to click into a time-selection and it creates these fadein/fadeout-envelope-points in relation to the time-selection start and end.
An option in the prefs would be neccessary to set these default fadein/fadeouts, as they probably differ from the lengths of item fadein/fadeout.

3) The dragging these fadein/fadeout-envelope-points could be easily done with another dragging mousemodifier. You put it at, let's say, CMD+Leftdrag and, when you click inbetween two envelope-points with CMD+Leftdrag, you can move the next envelopepoint left and right from the clickpoint in unison. it would make controlling the volume-envelope much faster without having to actively select two envelope-points time and again.

This would make a lot of editing and volume-control much easier.

I hope I could explain, what I see as benefits in this gif. When I first saw it, I felt like "Yeah, this is so obviously easier for quick editing, why didn't I think about that before?"
Hindenburg in general is known to be the best and quickest audio-editor used by many radio-broadcasters and radio-journalists worldwide and they try to make these editing workflows for features, iinterviews, etc as fast as possible, so journalists can make their interviewedits done for a show done in thirty minutes.

And the stuff in the gif is one of the things that makes it a workhorse for editing.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:52 AM   #2
Meo-Ada Mespotine

@others

If you know, if some of the stuff is already possible without using bad and stumbling hacks, I would be glad to know about it

Old 07-06-2020, 09:04 AM   #3
rstockm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meo-Ada Mespotine View Post
@others

If you know, if some of the stuff is already possible without using bad and stumbling hacks, I would be glad to know about it
This may be an "minimal effort" approach to this:

- use the "set 2 envelope points at time selection" action 2-times
- then use the `shift`+`cmd` Modifier to move the middle segment without selecting any points

Nevertheless, I agree that a more "out of the box" way would be highly appreciated.

Last edited by rstockm; 07-06-2020 at 10:29 AM.
rstockm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:57 AM   #4
bFooz

Some is possible.

Mouse modifiers - Envelope segment - left drag - Move segment (default is Move segment ignoring time selection)

Options - Envelope display - Transition time...

bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:59 AM   #5
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Oooohhh...nice

Does this work on take-envelopes as well and can the fadein/fadeout-points be added within the time-selection as well?

Setting them to negative values didn't work in the dialog.

But it's a very good start. Thanks

Edit: according to rstockm, this works on take-envelopes as well.

Last edited by Meo-Ada Mespotine; 07-07-2020 at 05:40 AM.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:52 PM   #6
rstockm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
Some is possible.
Mouse modifiers - Envelope segment - left drag - Move segment (default is Move segment ignoring time selection)
Options - Envelope display - Transition time...
Heavens. This is 90% of what I dreamt of - thank you so much!
rstockm is offline   Reply With Quote