Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 05-12-2020, 01:58 AM   #1
planetnine
Human being with feelings

Default Item Ruler -Source time with timecode offset

<<Feature added in v6.19>>

Could we have an Item Ruler option: “Source time with source offset”, “Source time with timecode offset” or “Source time -source preferred time” where the time is offset in the ruler according to “samples since midnight” value from wav source file metadata please?

We already have “Source time” and “Source time H:M:S:F” in the Media Items Ruler Settings dialogue and action list. Could this be complemented with “Source time (source offset)” and “Source time H:M:S:F (source offset)”.

If required, these latter two could be greyed out when there is no or zero offset, or offset not supported in the source file type.

Many thanks.

>

Last edited by planetnine; 12-18-2020 at 04:43 PM.
planetnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:42 AM   #2
planetnine

Wouldn’t this be useful to anyone else...?

It almost seems wrong to have a local, audio-based ruler without this option Recording notes will use recorder display time, which often will have a offset if the recorder has been paused and restarted, or following LTC.

>
Old 07-07-2020, 01:03 PM   #3
planetnine

Nobody..?

We’ve added so much related to metadata lately, seems a shame not to use it

This would be really useful where the audio is sections from location audio and the timecode doesn’t start at zero -or for any small part taken from a longer recorded wav.

Notes are always in the audio’s timeline, the timecode offset item/take ruler would be so helpful and make initial editing so much easier...

>
Old 12-12-2020, 01:40 AM   #4
musicbynumbers

I would love this too.

Devs, please add this!

It would be very helpful for media work. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2020, 09:01 AM   #5
Klangfarben

This used to be available in the dev versions when the feature first came out and I loved it. Justin decided to take it out because it wasn't the intended use. Would love to have it back. Since he already coded it originally, I'm guessing it would be quite easy.

EDIT: Here is what it looked like. You could label an item with the timecode of where it was in the session, create a "timecode" track which allowed you to view a timecode range independent of bars/beats (something the secondary ruler doesn't currently allow), etc. Extremely useful.

Last edited by Klangfarben; 12-12-2020 at 09:08 AM.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #6
planetnine

What is the intended use please Klangfarben? have I got the wrong end of the stick? I do not think I was about when this feature was developed or I may have understood and maybe been vocal on its direction.

For me it is to locally see a ruler related to the media item or its source rather than the project's timeline.

This requested feature would be useful if recording or editing notes use an offset time (eg video timecode) as there would be a direct indication of the timebase on the media itself. I'm struggling to see what might invalidate this as a good workflow addition.

Thanks for your input, KF, I was not aware this had been considered and dropped. Do you know what dev version this was in?

>
Old 12-17-2020, 02:04 PM   #7
planetnine

Worked out this was v5.980, I wasn’t following development in summer 2019, I don’t think the dev versions for this are still available -do you have them still, KF?

>
Old 12-18-2020, 04:45 PM   #8
planetnine

Hey up guys, this feature was added in v6.19

Thanks Devs, very much appreciated.
I have got an issue with it ignoring the offset in certain files, but I think it’s a peculiarity of these files from a certain recorder brand, I’ll raise a bug report if not.

>
Old 02-02-2021, 02:17 PM   #9

Default Thank you

Many thanks for this feature. It saves me a lot postproduction time.
722 is offline   Reply With Quote