Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-09-2020, 09:32 AM   #1
redddog
Human being with feelings

Default Why have (x86) at all anymore? VSTi install issues..

I know this is a bigger question than just Reaper but I'm interested in the general Reaper guys opinion.

It seems like I'm having to search around to find VSTis after installation and find them in that (x86) folder all the time. Then you have to move them around and the whole process gets screwed around and then you're deleting and reinstalling. It's incredibly frustrating.

I'm dumber than most but it seems extremely counter-intuitive geting VSTs installed.

Am I doing something wrong? Should every file in the zip live in the

program files >>VSTi

or just the .dll

What is the (x86) file for if you're running everything @ 64?

Thanks all
redddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:40 AM   #2
Coachz

I have C:\vsts\32 and also see:\vsts\64 and of course vst3 is going their own directory. I let the apps install to the directory of their choice usually but when it has a prompt for the VST I point it to the correct directory either 32 or 64
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:14 AM   #3
redddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
I have C:\vsts\32 and also see:\vsts\64 and of course vst3 is going their own directory. I let the apps install to the directory of their choice usually but when it has a prompt for the VST I point it to the correct directory either 32 or 64
Thanks for the response. I have taken that approach as well but invariably, whenever it loads from (x86), it'll tell me there is a more up-to-date version that needs to be installed.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:42 PM   #4
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by redddog View Post
Thanks for the response. I have taken that approach as well but invariably, whenever it loads from (x86), it'll tell me there is a more up-to-date version that needs to be installed.
Is this for installers that don't give you the option for a path for the VST and you're just moving it into your own directory? If so you could always set up a symbolic link to it and your own VST directory. Then just have Reaper scan the symbolic link. That should work if I'm understanding the problem.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:50 PM   #5
StewartD

Quote:
Originally Posted by redddog View Post

Am I doing something wrong? Should every file in the zip live in the

program files >>VSTi

or just the .dll
When prompted by an installer (Korg, Arturia, Izotope, ect),I let the program install to it's proper Start Menu folder, but guide the VST itself to C:\Vstplugins.

You can place the .dll's wherever you like, just make sure Reaper can find them. Though, some .dll's require files to be with the .dll. Rare, but it can happen.

Both 32 and 64 Bit (Windows)VST's reside in my 64 bit directory as one.

I've never run into any problems with x86 and x64 .dll's in the same directory, even the same folder.

I let VST3 remain in Common Files (Windows).

When default is Steinberg, I simply move the VST to C:\VstPlugins after install.

Unzip and install your VST's program files to their default location, then manually move or use the installer prompts to direct the .dll to your desired location (Windows).
StewartD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:51 PM   #6
redddog

Quote:
Is this for installers that don't give you the option for a path for the VST and you're just moving it into your own directory? If so you could always set up a symbolic link to it and your own VST directory. Then just have Reaper scan the symbolic link. That should work if I'm understanding the problem.
I think it should work as well.

I did have a question about what exactly should be in the folder that I direct Reaper to and the exact process....

From what I understand, I install the VSTi into the regular VSTPlugins folder (Not x86). the I direct Reaper to that folder path in the plugin setup in preferences. Do I rescan? Rescan and clear cache? apply?

What goes in that VST Plugin folder? Just the .dll or all the other files that download with the vsti (in this case, I'm using ezdrummer, VB3 and Amplitube Custom shop). There are a bunch of samples, install files, manuals etc that come with those downloads. Is it that all those can go in that folder as long as the .dll is in there as well?

Thanks so much for your help.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:05 PM   #7
Coachz

Normally the apps install to somewhere under program files or program files x86 and then just put the dll files and any preset files with it in the VST plugins folder. If that path is already in Reaper then Reaper should just pick up the new effect when you restart Reaper and you shouldn't have to scann or clear cache. Those are more for when you're adding a new path or when you just want Reaper to create its database from scratch on what plugins are installed.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:13 PM   #8
redddog

Quote:
Normally the apps install to somewhere under program files or program files x86 and then just put the dll files and any preset files with it in the VST plugins folder. If that path is already in Reaper then Reaper should just pick up the new effect when you restart Reaper and you shouldn't have to scann or clear cache. Those are more for when you're adding a new path or when you just want Reaper to create its database from scratch on what plugins are installed.
Perfect.

Thanks Coach! I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!!