Old 07-08-2020, 11:08 AM   #1
Stimulus
Human being with feelings

Default Swing Grid Vs 909 shuffle

Hi All!

I've been tryna recreate some drums from a track that uses a 909 and it's become obvious that the claps have a swing feel to them. It will be using the shuffle of the 909.

The 909 I'm using doesn't have shuffle. Does anyone know how the shuffle on the 909 works and how I could relate it the swing grid in Reaper if I could suss out what swing setting is used on the track?

Meanwhile I will play around and try and see what I can achieve.

Thanks!
Stimulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:51 AM   #2
zookthespook

Try to set the PPQN to 96 from 996.
That should bring it close enough to the MPC swing.

zook
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:59 AM   #3
mccrabney

you should just pop that reference track into REAPER, line it up to a grid, and see what drum hits stray from the grid. this should make any swing/shuffle/timing inconsistencies applied to your reference track instantly clear and replicable in any sequencer you're using.
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:36 PM   #4
Stimulus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
you should just pop that reference track into REAPER, line it up to a grid, and see what drum hits stray from the grid. this should make any swing/shuffle/timing inconsistencies applied to your reference track instantly clear and replicable in any sequencer you're using.
Great idea. I've already got a reference track in there. Somethings just occurred to me though, the track is audio not midi.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:30 AM   #5
xpander

Seeing this topic, I finally got into converting the old 909 MIDI groove templates made by Logic Pro Help member Krikorola. Add them into the Grooves folder in Reaper resources (Options, Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder). Then they are ready to be used with the SWS/FNG Groove Tool.

Please note, in 32nd shuffle mode the pattern pairs 1&2, 3&4 and 5&6 are the same. So there are actually only four different shuffle patterns for 32s.

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/39989/909%20grooves.zip
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:50 PM   #6
Stimulus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Seeing this topic, I finally got into converting the old 909 MIDI groove templates made by Logic Pro Help member Krikorola. Add them into the Grooves folder in Reaper resources (Options, Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder). Then they are ready to be used with the SWS/FNG Groove Tool.

Please note, in 32nd shuffle mode the pattern pairs 1&2, 3&4 and 5&6 are the same. So there are actually only four different shuffle patterns for 32s.

Excellent. Will look at these tomorrow. Nice one.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:00 AM   #7
Stimulus

Quote:

Would you mind explaining how these work.

I know you open the Groove Tool in the Actions List and you have to do this in the midi editor as it doesn't work otherwise. After that, I'm lost lol! the groove tool doesn't show in the midi editor actions list unless you select Main in the top right. I've managed now to import your grooves, will they stay there for me to use in future now?

EDIT - Think I've done it lol!

EDIT 2 - I don't get why I have to select Main and not Midi Editor though and also, I selected a section of closed hats and an open hi-hat in a 2 bar segment and choose 909 16th Note Shuffle 7 and only 2 closed hats move off the grid slightly. The 2 highlighted in the pic are the ones that have moved. I'm sure it's right but tryna understand it a bit better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 909 16th Shuffle 7.jpg (38.5 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by Stimulus; 08-02-2020 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:40 AM   #8
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimulus View Post
I've managed now to import your grooves, will they stay there for me to use in future now?
If you put them into the Grooves folder, they will stay there for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimulus View Post
EDIT 2 - I don't get why I have to select Main and not Midi Editor though?
Afaik, Groove Tool was made to work only in Main. I have added it to the MIDI Editor as a custom action, assigned to the Misc: Pass through key to main window, so I can still open it while working in the MIDI Editor.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:47 AM   #9
Stimulus

Quote:
If you put them into the Grooves folder, they will stay there for you.

Afaik, Groove Tool was made to work only in Main. I have added it to the MIDI Editor as a custom action, assigned to the Misc: Pass through key to main window, so I can still open it while working in the MIDI Editor.
Yes I've noticed they are there now and I've added the ctrl alt shift G command now for Groove Tool, sweet.

Last edited by Stimulus; 04-12-2023 at 04:35 AM.
Old 04-12-2023, 04:38 AM   #10
Stimulus

Quote:

Just wanted to ask another question, there seems to be 6 16th grooves in there and 6 8th grooves but the 909 had 7 shuffle settings I think didn't it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Logic 909 Groove Patterns.JPG (15.4 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Stimulus; 04-12-2023 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-12-2023, 02:24 PM   #11
xpander

Seven steps of shuffle/flam from Main buttons 1-7, but button 1 was no shuffle, so 6 really.

http://www.synthfool.com/docs/Roland...s%20Manual.pdf
Old 09-06-2023, 06:47 PM   #12
GtrGeorge

cant sync my old MPC drum part to a click in Reaper. Its a similar problem, I feel. Any tips? Is it my project settings? Nothing ever aligns after20 measures..the 1s are off.
There must be a set of rules somewhere that shows the Cause and effect of importing a wav file and the setting nescessary to sync to it,without messing up the wave file.
GtrGeorge

Last edited by GtrGeorge; 09-07-2023 at 07:24 AM.
GtrGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote