Old 09-09-2020, 02:14 PM   #1
Weston Minissali
Human being with feelings

Default Rerouting MIDI Takes

Greetings,

After a few days of trouble shooting I figure it's time to ask the community for help. Thanks in advance for any advice.

What I'd like to do is use my MIDI keyboard to record a MIDI take and then send that MIDI take to a variety of different hardware synthesizers.

For example, I record a MIDI take for a bass line and then send it to Synth A. If I decide later that I want to change the synth I use, I take that original MIDI take and route it out to Synth B.

I currently am successfully recording all Audio and MIDI channels fine. But I can't figure out how to re route the MIDI signal. After recording a MIDI take, I click on the routing and click "add new send" and select the synth B, I see that the MIDI signal is arriving on the the track for Synth B, but no audio is being triggered.

Notes about my setup:

I am using a 2 MIDI interface which have several midi controllers connected to the INs and several rack synths connected to the Outs.

I am also using MIDIOX to monitor my PC. Currently, MIDIOX is recognizing all MIDI ins and outs of my hardware, but it is not recognizing MIDI being played back by a Reaper MIDI track.

Thank you and I really look forward to some feedback.

best
-Weston
Weston Minissali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:06 PM   #2
mschnell

Welcome to the reaper forums !

I don't see why your Midi stream from Reaper is not seen outside, This definitively should work id MidOX or a hardware device is enabled in Reaper. /Did you check "Enable outrput" in the Reaper Midi Device configuration ? )

If you want to record the audio from the hardware synths, I suppose you best use ReaInsert to send Midi and receive audio and handle latency.
-Michael.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:22 AM   #3
Dark Fader

Do the channels on the MIDI out of your tracks match the MIDI receive channels of your synths?
Dark Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:58 AM   #4
Weston Minissali

To mschnell: What do I enable as the MIDI out for the Reaper DAW? What's the name?

You might be on to something, I know I enabled all the ins and outs of the MIDI interfaces (attached to various instruments) but do I need to enable Reaper itself?

to Dark Fader,

Yes the MIDI channels are all coordinated.

Thanks everyone
-Weston
Old 09-10-2020, 10:20 AM   #5
Weston Minissali

Default SOLVED

What I failed to see/do is open up the routing on the MIDI track channel and select the MIDI Hardware Out as well as the output channel.

Thanks for the feedback, it was helpful.

-Weston