Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 09-13-2021, 07:32 AM   #1
DarrenH
Human being with feelings

Default Using The Same Reaper Install on Two Different Machines...vstplugins64.ini Question

I access one portable reaper install on DropBox from two different workstations. I use the -cfgfile switch to use different reaper.ini files for each install.

I've got everything set up so that all VSTs are accessible by both machines. Any changes I make to Reaper are reflected on Dropbox and by extension on the other machine. Everything works fine.

However: one thing that happens is that plugins get re-scanned each time I switch to the other machine. So reaper-vstplugins64.ini keeps updating, back and forth.

I compared the two versions and most plugins are identical. But some are different. Example screencap here: https://imgur.com/a/m16Erxj

My questions are:

What do the differences mean?

Does anyone know a way to use two different versions of reaper-vstplugins64.ini the way I'm using two different reaper.ini files?

Thanks for your time

Last edited by DarrenH; 09-13-2021 at 09:39 AM.
DarrenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:43 AM   #2
DarrenH
Human being with feelings

Found an easy solution: I simply tell DropBox to not update reaper-vstplugins64.ini, so that each workstation keeps its' own copy.

https://help.dropbox.com/files-folde.../ignored-files

It's a file that just recreates itself if missing, and this way one workstation won't force a change on the other.

This could presumably apply to any .ini file in the Reaper app folder that doesn't need to be shared across both workstations.

Will leave this up for someone else's reference.
DarrenH is offline   Reply With Quote