Old 09-09-2021, 02:19 PM   #1
Dars
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI not working

Hi please help!

I want to start using MIDI. I've downloaded some MIDI sounds, loaded them up into reaper. I've set the virtual instruments in "FX". And when I hit play, no sound is coming out. I followed a couple tutorials on YT as best I could. And still nothing. I have set the right output device. No idea what's not working. Any ideas out there?

Thanks
D
Dars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:37 PM   #2
b2001

The primary issue that i have run into most of the time is the vsti is set up to receive midi notes on a specific midi channel and the midi files are set up with the midi notes on another midi channel.

Inspect what channel the midi notes are set up for and what the vsti is set up for.
b2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:42 PM   #3
Pink Wool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dars View Post
Hi please help!

I want to start using MIDI. I've downloaded some MIDI sounds, loaded them up into reaper. I've set the virtual instruments in "FX". And when I hit play, no sound is coming out. I followed a couple tutorials on YT as best I could. And still nothing. I have set the right output device. No idea what's not working. Any ideas out there?

Thanks
D
MIDI in and of itself doesn't make any sound. It only sends data. So I'm assuming you mean you downloaded some MIDI files?

Have you put the vst in the input fx perhaps (that in the default theme is located next to the inputs for the channel)? That won't work. It needs to be in the track FX one. If you hover over each, a tooltip will tell you which is which.

Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:18 AM   #4
Captain Chu

Also adding to the others, Have you routed the track input to receive midi from your device? And have you armed the track?

You should look at the track meter and see if there's any midi signal going through (red color on the meter when you send the midi signal).

if it still doesn't work, you should try and record some midi, if recording the midi works, then check the FXs
Captain Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:15 AM   #5
shanabit

1. MIDI is NOT turned on by default in Reaper. You have to go to the Preferences and under MIDI you have to ENABLE that midi port. That goes for Input and Output ports.

2. What is your MIDI interface you are using?

3. What MIDI Controller are you using?

4. Once you have the midi to receive in the prefs then you can just Right click on the track and select MIDI then the port you are using
shanabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:59 AM   #6
beingmf

And not to forget: activate the monitoring switch (the little loudspeaker signal on the track panel)!
Old 09-10-2021, 01:34 PM   #7
Dars

Default MIDI not working

Thanks for the replies. I tried. I really did. After many attempts and frustration I've concluded that MIDI or reaper, or both are not for me. It seems way too complicated, like I'm not trying to fly a Jumbo Jet here! I just wanna make music. Just in case: is there a basic tutorial video you could recommend?
Dars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 02:26 PM   #8
b2001

I wish i could recommend a video but i have been doing midi so long i just don’t use any references, video or otherwise other than to google when i have specific problems.

It’s hard to help you troubleshoot based on lack of details you have provided. That is ok if you don’t want to. It’s not really that hard but can be difficult getting over the hump of initial setup. Same situation as new midi equipment or vstis are added, possibly.

What vsti/instrument are you using? Looking thru its GUI can you determine what midi channel it is set up to receive on? Some will receive on all, some are set up to receive on a specific midi channel only, such as channel 1.

Have you tried a different vsti; there are some i ditched because i could not get them to work. Knowing what one you are using should get a response from someone who has used it.

On that track can you insert some midi notes thru reapers midi editor. When track is armed for recording and play button is pushed do they make sound? Can selecting keys on the midi keyboard make sound?

After importing the midi file, right click on one of the notes, what midi channel does the note property have?

And what is the output device setup? I assume you can hear audio?

Sorry for all the questions; the more details that you can provide the better help you will get. You did get some good advice above except i don’t think you are using a controller associated with your issue; it appears to me you are just adding a vsti to a track, importing a midi file and trying to get it to play.
b2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:59 PM   #9
Pink Wool

Well, Kenny Gioia has complete series on MIDI in Reaper:

Learning a new skill takes time. But there are other daws out there you could check out. Something like flstudio seems to be popular among people just starting out.
Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote