Old 08-30-2021, 05:41 AM   #1
fHumble fHingaz
Human being with feelings

Default Bare Knuckled Rocker: "Special"

Here's a track I just completed mixing called "Special" - 7/10 songs from a forthcoming album. Thanks for taking a listen. Please drop a comment if you feel so inclined - Interested to get your thoughts! Thanks.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kdr...ew?usp=sharing
Old 08-30-2021, 08:52 AM   #2
swingset

Quote:
Originally Posted by fHumble fHingaz View Post
Here's a track I just completed mixing called "Special" - 7/10 songs from a forthcoming album. Thanks for taking a listen. Please drop a comment if you feel so inclined - Interested to get your thoughts! Thanks.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kdr...ew?usp=sharing
Great tune, love the mix and groove on this. Ya know I keep throwing references when I hear your stuff, but it's weird I don't always get this but I hear a ton of stuff in your writing that's familiar to me. Not in a "hey, this guy's ripping off AC/DC" kinda way or something, but just that your stuff has a "cool stuff in a blender" feel to it.

The arrangement feels like some of those great early Baby Animals riffs (guitar tone, especially), and there's some ELO and Extreme and Queen all kind of oozing out...definitely hear some of that cool late 70's/early 80's rock in there.

This one kept me singing the chorus afterwards, which is the hallmark of a hook...so well done.

BTW, dunno if you know Pluto Jonze or not (fellow Aussie), but I was listening to your track and thinking that your arrangement and harmonies, applied his song "Hispedangongonajelanguiro" would have made that song awesome.

Last edited by swingset; 08-30-2021 at 04:36 PM.
swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 03:55 PM   #3
westie07

How good was that! No need for comments. Radio ready as it is.

I admit I'm old school, but vocals, bass, guitar, drums, piano and hammond and a good groove. That's all you need.

BrisVegas FTW

rob
westie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:24 PM   #4
fHumble fHingaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Great tune, love the mix and groove on this. Ya know I keep throwing references when I hear your stuff, but it's weird I don't always get this but I hear a ton of stuff in your writing that's familiar to me. Not in a "hey, this guy's ripping off AC/DC" kinda way or something, but just that your stuff has a "cool stuff in a blender" feel to it.

The arrangement feels like some of those great early Baby Animals riffs (guitar tone, especially), and there's some ELO and Extreme and Queen all kind of oozing out...definitely hear some of that cool late 70's/early 80's rock in there.

This one kept me singing the chorus afterwards, which is the hallmark of a hook...so well done.

BTW, dunno if you know Pluto Jonze or not (fellow Aussie), but I was listening to your track and thinking that your arrangement and harmonies, applied his song "Hispedangongonajelanguiro" would have made that song awesome.
Hey Craig, that's great to hear! Baby Animals! - One of my favorite bands! That's really encouraging - thanks!

The chorus on this song is WEIRD! I only realized after I recorded it that the main notes in the chorus are a descending chromatic line... I don't know of many (if any) songs that have a chromatic melody in the chorus. I wondered if that would be strange, but most people who hear think it is catchy, so I guess that is all that matters!

I hadn't heard of Pluto Jonze to be honest, but I had a listen to some of his stuff, and it's pretty cool! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westie07 View Post
How good was that! No need for comments. Radio ready as it is.

I admit I'm old school, but vocals, bass, guitar, drums, piano and hammond and a good groove. That's all you need.

BrisVegas FTW

rob
Hey Rob - Awesome to hear from another Brisbanite! Thank you for listening, and for the kind compliment!
Old 08-31-2021, 06:42 AM   #5
swingset

Quote:
Originally Posted by fHumble fHingaz View Post
Hey Craig, that's great to hear! Baby Animals! - One of my favorite bands! That's really encouraging - thanks!

The chorus on this song is WEIRD! I only realized after I recorded it that the main notes in the chorus are a descending chromatic line... I don't know of many (if any) songs that have a chromatic melody in the chorus. I wondered if that would be strange, but most people who hear think it is catchy, so I guess that is all that matters!

I hadn't heard of Pluto Jonze to be honest, but I had a listen to some of his stuff, and it's pretty cool! Thanks.
I didn't catch that about the chorus, but you're right that's freaky. Works tho, so kudos.

Always fun to realize you were a sly genius without knowing it, lol.