Old 05-10-2020, 10:28 AM   #1
gigaday
Human being with feelings

Default problem with saved midi clip

A midi clip that I recorded and the exported to hard disk seems to be scrambled.

I recorded three tracks (Korg M1 Ch10/Ch11/Ch09) from a hardware drum machine via midi/usb cable interface.

I then made a few edits to trim the midi in my Reaper project, which seem to have been successful. And then, from the Reaper Midi Editor I Exported the midi files to hard disk calling them 127A.mid 127B.mid and 127S.mid.

Two of them Previewed correctly in the Media Explorer but 127S.mid was incorrect. The length of the clip has changed and extra notes have been added at the start of the clip. I then made a new track called 127S by dragging the clip from Media Explorer into the track.

I have repeated the identical steps at least three times, always with the same result.

And ideas anyone, please?
Attached Files
File Type: rpp first zoom drum_6.RPP (177.3 KB, 114 views)
gigaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:18 AM   #2
valy

Hmmm, it seems it's exporting the original MIDI file, before you trimmed it. Because I dragged the edge out left and you can see the notch where the original start of it was:

However, if I right-click the original edited MIDI item and glue it, then repeat your steps, the newly imported MIDI item is of the correct length:

valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:21 AM   #3
gigaday

valy: Thanks for this insight. I can see that the notches on the 3 recorded tracks after I have edited them do not line up. Quite how this happened or what it means is a little beyond me at the moment, as I have not used Reaper for long in this context.

I need to read up some more on Loops and Gluing to get a better understanding.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:22 AM   #4
valy

I'm not well-versed in gluing, but I'm pretty sure it makes a new file (at least in the case of audio items). So whatever sections of an item that were hidden due to a trim will get permanently removed when you glue.

For some reason, exporting the MIDI via the MIDI editor window wasn't respecting the item boundaries that you created through your edits. I don't know why, maybe that's just how it works when you use that option through the editor. But by gluing the item, you essentially transform it into a new one that doesn't even have those extraneous portions that you edited out. So when you export it, it is of the length that you see in the timeline.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:02 AM   #5
gigaday

valy: yes, there is a lot that I don't properly understand as yet. When I extend an item by dragging the mouse, a little notch appears and it is possible to keep on repeating the clip. But them if I Glue it, the notches disappear - so I get a new single item (?). And if I extend again on the new item more notches appear - it's repeating the item as I keep on extending it.

I think that Trimming an Item works on a part of the Item; Cutting and Pasting an Item works on a complete Item; right dragging the mouse extends and duplicates the Item (creating the notches); and Gluing Items removes the notches making the Item a single entity.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:46 AM   #6
valy

Well, you can turn looping off (the thing that's creating the extended, duplicated items with notches in them). I don't like it, so I have it off.

You can turn it off in Preferences > Project > Media Item Defaults. Just uncheck all those loop boxes.

You can also turn it off on an item-by-item basis by right-clicking the item, going to Item properties, then unchecking "Loop source" near the upper right.

As long as these looping options are turned on, Reaper is going to duplicate the items as you drag them out. The notches just show you where the original ends of the item are.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:16 AM   #7
gigaday

valy: thanks for that it looks useful, I'll give it a try.