Old 06-03-2020, 06:43 PM   #1
reborn579
Human being with feelings

Default What do you think of the soundtrack I wrote for this game?

Hi guys! Just want to share with you the soundtrack I wrote for 'Beyond Mankind', an upcoming PC video game.
It's a bit different than what I've done so far, especially because it's the first time I've used brass in a song.
What do you guys think of it?
https://soundcloud.com/mihaildoman/sets/beyond-mankind
reborn579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:30 PM   #2
foxAsteria

It's not really striking me as sci-fi music. The orchestration makes it sound way more more fantasy to me.

But I'm put off in general by orchestral music in games because it's way overused, so nothing personal.

If you want an example of how a more original approach can totally make a game, check out Mutazione.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:29 AM   #3
reborn579

thanks for the listen. i'll check out your recommendation.
i understand the thing about orchestral music. it is a matter of personal taste. i think this song still has some sci fi elements to it. it did especially at first, but the people who commissioned the music wanted something more epic and orchestral. i think i would have only gone for a mostly synth and percussion based score.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:27 PM   #4
Mattheas Boelter

I've been meaning to give these a listen for a couple days now. I'm finally getting around to it

This is some cool stuff! I can agree that it sounds a touch more like fantasy, but it's not at all out of place in a SciFi setting. Stylistically, it's pretty similar to Stellaris.

I really like Under Avalon with all the percussion! It's a super nice groove. I really like how you used rolls so fill the space as well.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:45 AM   #5
Naji

The composition is good. My recommendation might be wrong, but I think the brass and also strings are too loud and too dry, way too in your face. To bring them farer away, maybe some huge reverb? And maybe some cut on higher mids... but maybe it's the way it has to be for pc games
Naji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:19 AM   #6
reborn579

Quote:
This is some cool stuff! I can agree that it sounds a touch more like fantasy, but it's not at all out of place in a SciFi setting. Stylistically, it's pretty similar to Stellaris.

I really like Under Avalon with all the percussion! It's a super nice groove. I really like how you used rolls so fill the space as well.
Thanks for the listen, mate. Yeah, I'm pretty happy with that song. I played a lot with this orchestral bass drum sound, which sounds a bit like thunder.

Quote:
The composition is good. My recommendation might be wrong, but I think the brass and also strings are too loud and too dry, way too in your face. To bring them farer away, maybe some huge reverb? And maybe some cut on higher mids... but maybe it's the way it has to be for pc games
You might be right. It does sound a bit harsh, but now it's too late to change it. I'll keep it in mind for next songs

Cheers!