Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 02-10-2020, 08:14 PM   #1
knadles
Human being with feelings

Default Logic sees it, Reaper doesn't: MCU Pro not recognized on Mac

My setup:

Pretty new Mac Mini 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 w/ Catalina. MCU Pro that I've had for a few years. I had the MCU Pro working on my old Mac Mini, but I stopped using it when the fading display issue got too annoying. Recently repaired the display and I'd like to get the surface working on my new computer.

Reaper doesn't find it. At all. With or without Reaper running, the display just reads MCU PRO | by LOUD Technologies, Inc. v4.0.3. I've tried the standard Mackie surface setup built into Reaper, the Wadd driver from 2012, and something called DrivenByMoss4Reaper-v8.70. I've also tried setting it to Mackie Ctrl mode, Logic Ctrl mode, and even HUI mode.

It would be easy to assume that something is wrong with the MCU Pro, the cable, a connector, whatever. EXCEPT: I have Logic on this machine as well. When I fire up Logic, the MCU Pro reacts, the faders move, the display shows the tracks in the mix. Basically it does everything it should. Even without going into Logic mode.

I'm *sure* someone has run into this and it's probably even answered on another thread. But for some reason the search doesn't seem to be working on the forum here, at least for me. I search Mackie, MCU, even the word "the," and the forum tells me it can't find the search term. Bah.

So I apologize in advance, but if anyone has even a guess as to my next step, I'm willing to listen. I'm generally comfortable fixing things, but this has me stumped. If it just can't work, I suppose I can sell an MCU Pro with a brand new LCD display that should outlast the OEM part by about 15 years easily enough, but I'd really rather use the control surface myself. HELP!

Thanks,
Pete
knadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:03 PM   #2
mschnell

Reaper does not "see" Control Surface devices, but there are several ways to configure Reaper to work with those - and there is an infinite number of workflow variants you might want to have them work for you.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:13 AM   #3
knadles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Reaper does not "see" Control Surface devices, but there are several ways to configure Reaper to work with those - and there is an infinite number of workflow variants you might want to have them work for you.

-Michael
Um... Reaper and the control surface are not interacting with each other. My workflow is that I don’t have one, beyond controlling Reaper with the mouse and using the Mackie to keep my desk from floating away.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:09 AM   #4
Funkybot

Does Reaper see Mackie MIDI ports? Which specific model do you have? You can try CSI, which allows you to use a bunch of different control surfaces.

A quick search brings up this old thread, which may be another option (made by the same guy who built Eucon for Reaper and CSI):

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=87265
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:52 AM   #5
knadles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Does Reaper see Mackie MIDI ports? Which specific model do you have? You can try CSI, which allows you to use a bunch of different control surfaces.

A quick search brings up this old thread, which may be another option (made by the same guy who built Eucon for Reaper and CSI):

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=87265
Thanks, Funkybot. I don't do much with MIDI, but yes, I did notice the ports showed in Reaper when I was digging through the menus.

That old driver is the Wadd driver, which was the second thing I tried. Great minds and all that. ha

I gave CSI a shot late last night right before I went to bed and after I posted. I wasn't even sure it was appropriate to try, but I was reaching. It did move the faders on the MCU Pro, which is something, but no impact on the display/scribble strip, and all the v-pots displayed hard-left settings, although the pans were still centered in Reaper. But I understand CSI is alpha software, so I wouldn't expect it to work without quirks.

Thanks,
Pete
Old 02-11-2020, 09:21 AM   #6
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by knadles View Post
Thanks, Funkybot. I don't do much with MIDI, but yes, I did notice the ports showed in Reaper when I was digging through the menus.

That old driver is the Wadd driver, which was the second thing I tried. Great minds and all that. ha

I gave CSI a shot late last night right before I went to bed and after I posted. I wasn't even sure it was appropriate to try, but I was reaching. It did move the faders on the MCU Pro, which is something, but no impact on the display/scribble strip, and all the v-pots displayed hard-left settings, although the pans were still centered in Reaper. But I understand CSI is alpha software, so I wouldn't expect it to work without quirks.

Thanks,
Pete
When it works, it works great. But there's definitely things in flight. Like there are some initialization bugs with Eucon and the previous build of CSI just didn't work at all here, while the current one does, as did prior builds.

It sounds like you made some progress with CSI, but there may be some things in the .mst and .zon files that may need some tweaking. If you want to continue to try, post over in the CSI thread and we'll see if we can get you sorted.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote