Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 09-07-2018, 08:56 PM   #1
SpaceGoose
Human being with feelings

Default Crowdfunding features option. Vote with money to fast track features.

+1 Vote for a way to crowd fund features.

I love Reaper. But, sometimes the other DAWs come out with really great new features. I realize that Cockos has limitations on budgets and how many programmers can be hired to work on any given project.

I want Reaper to always be ahead of the curve. If the Reaper community really wants a feature it would be great if they could vote by contributing to the funding for its development. A way to donate money to help fast track a feature would be a powerful tool to get that feature you are desperate for. Sometimes you love a program so much but there is this one little thing that is a deal breaker.

Also, so it's not such a risk, money would only be collected if a programmer decides to take on that project. And, people could contribute in more ways than just money. Community programmers could send code to the Cockos programmer as a way to help. A great case study is Blender, amazing 3D opensource software. They have a powerful programmer community. I realize that Reaper isn't open source, but the Reaper ethos feels like it. It is run by an amazing group of people. I want Reaper to be the best DAW in the world in all aspects.

I do realize scripts and extensions allow features to be added, but it would be nice if some of these features could be baked in. For example, Eugen2777 has done a great job with retrospective recording, but it would be nice if that was officially integrated into Reaper without the need for hidden tracks, etc. Ableton Live has a nice little button for that, and an easy automation record button too.
SpaceGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:31 PM   #2
mschnell

We all know that Cockos is not interested in consuming funds. (Happily, the Universe is not completely filled with greed.) This is one of the main reasons why Reaper is as great as it is: The Devs can thrive for consistency, instead of being pushed by funders one day in this direction and the other day in some other.

But it does make a lot of sense to crowdfund Reaper extension. Doing such extensions is possible due to the many deeply versatile APIs Reaper provides.

In fact by that it would be even possible to completely ignore the Reaper GUI and just use the internal audio engine to build up a completely new thing. (A friend of mine, being a consultant, in fact did this for a customer.)

But in most cases just adding or modifying some original features to do a payed or cowdfunded "special xyz distribution" containing Reaper as an OEM part, will suffice.

In fact the critical issue with such things is not the software itself, but the documentation and the enduring customer support necessary to be done by the funded party, as in the end this consumes a lot more "funds" than the initial act of creation, as without that your funds will soon go down a into a black hole. And this (not the question of doability) is why I am highly skeptical about the idea, myself.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 09-08-2018 at 09:28 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:26 PM   #3
SpaceGoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
The Devs can thrive for consistency, instead of being pushed by funders one day in this direction and the other day in some other.

But it does make a lot of sense to crowdfund Reaper extension. Doing such extensions is possible due to the many deeply versatile APIs Reaper provides.
Great points. Thanks for the reply.
SpaceGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:20 AM   #4
X-Raym

Quote:
We all know that Cockos is not interested in consuming funds. (Happily, the Universe is not completely filled with greed.) This is one of the main reasons why Reaper is as great as it is: The Devs can thrive for consistency, instead of being pushed by funders one day in this direction and the other day in some other.
100% true.

Quote:
But it does make a lot of sense to crowdfund Reaper extension.
Oh yes definitely, extension makers definitely deserve some attention

SWS, Reapack, ReaLearn, PlayTime, Scripts... Here are some projects to sponsor :P

Of course, the multi collaborators nature of SWS make it a perfect candidate for such support.

But, maintaining such funding system isn't that simple, it takes time etc... As there isn't that many collaborators on SWS, it would be better spent on dev time only.

Donations are still open though :P

Last edited by X-Raym; 09-09-2018 at 02:31 AM.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:52 AM   #5
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Is there a list of donation-opportunities for 3rd-party coders/scripters/themedevs/etc ?
Amazon wishlists, paypal, etc?
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:58 AM   #6
X-Raym

@mespotine
Once again, the close thing I can think of about that is Reapack.

The website has links to lots of repo, (which often have donation links on their readme,
and right inside the extension there is donation link for repository if one have been provided.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote