Old 08-28-2019, 06:19 AM   #1
hopi
Human being with feelings

Default Remote Help Comments, and...

If this is in the wrong area, I trust a mod will move it.

For many years I have used the free version of Team Viewer to remotely control the computer of friends and family and thereby assist them with various things, and this often involves some tweak in Reaper or some task in Reaper.

Recently the Team Viewer people have put some silly algorithm into their newest version that flags what they think is 'suspected commercial use' and that makes it stop working after about a minute of use.
I don't use it commercially... just friends and family and not for pay.
It's not just me... there have been thousands of TV users affected.
IF you get flagged that way, they have a whole tedious email event to request your use be un-flagged... but users report the process can take months [or more] to resolve.
Clearly they are trying to force users to buy in and they are quite expensive.

OK well I tried their process to get un-flagged and IMHO it just sux... so I went looking for alternatives. Tested a few and thankfully found one that works great.

I do want to thank the Team Viewer people for having in the past given us a great free solution, that is cross platform, to provide remote help.
At the same time, IMHO what they have recently done leaves a very bad tastes in my cyber mouth.

The good news for me and friends is there is an even better solution.
It has a cross platform solution that is easy to use and has a free version.
And even if you want to buy in, it is reasonably affordable.

It is called Anydesk. See more about it at Anydesk.com

One thing that is great for reaper people is that it allows the remote person to hear the audio of the other computer. In the case of Reaper we have found that it will not work with ASIO... but will work with most of the other audio drivers. So that can be a temporary audio pref's change IF you want to hear the sound.
Also, in my experience it is faster and smoother than Team Viewer as regards remote control.

TV? goodbye... and thanks for all the fish.