Old 06-11-2016, 04:41 PM   #1
michaeltonight
Human being with feelings

Default "Force selected notes into key signature" not working

For some reason, the action "Force selected notes into key signature" doesn't seem to do anything. For example, I enter "E, F, G, A B, and C" into the notation editor in E major, select all the notes, and run "Force selected notes...", but nothing happens. same result if I only select one note, such as G natural, it doesn't become G#. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the purpose of this action? Or is it a bug?
michaeltonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:46 AM   #2
slipstick

It works for me so I guess it depends what you're expecting.

If I enter notes in Notation view with a key signature set then they're already in key i.e. key of A, enter G you get a G#.

The only time I see you needing to use that action is after a key signature change. That doesn't automatically change existing notes but "force selected..." will move them into key.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:11 AM   #3
michaeltonight

How are you entering notes, slipstick? What I'm trying to do is basically mimic Sibelius, by making a custom action such as

Edit: Unselected all
Insert note at nearest G

Which, in A major, will insert a G natural, so I added "force selected notes into key signature", which I would expect to transform the still-selected G to G#, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
michaeltonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:03 PM   #4
slipstick

Never used Sibelius so no idea what it does.

But I'm just using it like I use MuseScore by clicking on the score to enter notes. Set key to A and click on the second line up I get a note on the G line. If I look at it in piano roll it correctly turns out to be a G#.

If I deliberately put in an accidental e.g. G natural then selecting it and "Force selected..." converts it into G#. It always seems to convert up, so A# will be forced up to a B etc.

There are probably some options involved but I'm just using the defaults (in 5.201).

Of course it does all hinge on you actually having the key set up and ticked at the bottom of the editor. Just having the key sig showing on the score doesn't necessarily mean it's "active".

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote