Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 03-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #41
519tbarr
Human being with feelings

Hey Danfuerth and Ollie
Once again thanks for your responses. Danfuerth I will try your recommendations over the weekend.
I am still mystified by how a change in OS Win 7 to Win 8 could allow this insanity to happen on one program. But I will keep on keeping on.
There do not seem to be any hotfixes available for Windows 8 for my CPU - AMD FX... I saw all the treads on google for Win 7 performance.
I will say maybe that when I installed the Win 7 hot fixes it did look like i gained maybe 8 percent of my CPU resources back... (that was just what I noticed. I ran a few of my music/tracks and knew reaper was running between 26-30% before and it dropped to about 20% on average)

Thanks again! Keep you both posted. To work for now!
519tbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #42
danfuerth

Thanks for sticking around

I noticed that you are using a Scarlett 2i2 interface

can you unplug it, Run Reaper and set your audio config to "Dummy Audio"
And add like 300 tracks and see what the CPU usage is

Then switch the audio system to "Wave out" and do the same test
then switch the audio system to "Direct Sound" and do the same test

just trying to see if Reaper has some issues with that interface on windows 8.
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #43
519tbarr

Yep i will try those things over the weekend.
Ive got both the focusrite 2i2 and my old internal m-audio 2496 delta.
The internal card will be going as soon as my new 18i20 scarlette arrives.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #44
519tbarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfuerth View Post
Thanks for sticking around

I noticed that you are using a Scarlett 2i2 interface

can you unplug it, Run Reaper and set your audio config to "Dummy Audio"
And add like 300 tracks and see what the CPU usage is

Then switch the audio system to "Wave out" and do the same test
then switch the audio system to "Direct Sound" and do the same test

just trying to see if Reaper has some issues with that interface on windows 8.
Hey Danfuerth

OK - here are the pics with the settings on dummy audio - still spiking about 75% on average - with 300 tracks in and with an actual project with waves in place 225 to be exact.

At this point - I think my best bet is to revert back to Windows 7 Home
and wait until Windows Blue is released and see if there are any changes there going forward.

If you see anything or hear of anything else that makes sense don't hesitate to write or message me.

Thanks again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dummy audio 300 blank tracks.jpg (42.7 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg dummy audio.jpg (61.5 KB, 361 views)
Old 03-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #45
danfuerth

Hi I will keep checking this for you

Here is a screnshot from my test machine( an old AMD dual core athlon with 2 gigs of ram)

On direct sound with 400 tracks added on a clean and empty project

So Something is up between Reaper and your machine

The other 2 Daw's do not have this issue so Clearly it is a Reaper issue.

Premptive FX maybe , set it to on or off

Something is really weird about this issue it looks like a memory leak.

Last edited by danfuerth; 03-30-2013 at 06:22 PM.
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #46
519tbarr

Hey Reaperites/COCKOS

Looks like someone else is having the same problems on a newer AMD 6 Core using Windows 8. This looks to be a REAPER/WINDOWS 8 AMD issue.

Here is his post from another thread.
COCKOS - it's time to look at the WINDOWS 8 coding and CPU Spikes. There is definitely something going on in Reaper under Windows 8 and newer AMD processors!

Default CPU Usage bug!?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi,
i had a problem with my cpu usage in a project, so i did a test:
i created a track with lush-101 on it and some simple midi notes, then i duplicate this track, so my total track numbers are 20.
but there is a problem in cpu usage, here is the links:

http://upcity.ir/images2/47138991997655847531.jpg

http://upcity.ir/images2/06277967097487020421.jpg

CPU usage for plugins are 34%, but for a reason, my total CPU is always 30/40 % more...
and its the same even without plugins!
when there is just rendered wave files playing:
http://upcity.ir/images2/72081338037947632399.jpg

this is crazy! why my CPU usage is 50% for just playing some wave files!?

some notes:
* my CPU is AMD 6-core fx6100, i have 16GB ram ...
* my interface is focusrite saffire pro 24 DSP
* my audio settings: 44.1KHz 32bit WAV / interface buffer size: 64 spls
* reaper 4.32 64bit on windows 8 64bit
* i checked with reaper 4.31 and 4.30, but the same results...
* i checked with studio one and sonar, but they are working fine.
* my windows is up to date, absolutely clean, there is nothing on it except some music softwares, even some unwanted services is disabled, and i don't use internet on this system.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #47
irasekhi

yes, i have the same problem.

u can look at it in details here:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=121189

this is killing me, with this cpu usages reaper is completely useless, please solve this problem cockos...
Old 04-10-2013, 06:16 AM   #48
519tbarr

Another guy on these forums with the same issues Windows 8 Pro and Reaper related.

Time for some real research into the issue COCKO's. There's a problem here and it looks to be on your end!

CPU overload issues
Hi all

I hoping someone can shed some light on why my quadcore 2.8ghz/8gb, win8pro 64bit, scope pro 5.1 system is reaching 90% cpu whilst running even one audio file on the 96 channel surround template available here in resources. Even idling this template erratically chews from 54-72%. Track FX is at 12% (seems normal I guess). Clicks n pops etc

But what's the other 60%? Surely this is something wrong with my setup. When anticipated FX proc was on it was better but still unusable. Went through all the available options in buffer and asio settings. Card latencies etc. I'm pretty experienced with optimising but this one has me beat. I just cant believe that my machines not up to it given reapers rep and what I've run on it before and now in other DAWs

For those of you who havent loaded this template it has many folders and subgroups. But this same machine running Logic in the past with similar sized projects wasnt an issue.

What should I be looking for? Maybe one of you could load the template

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/16107/Reape...d_Template.RPP

and tell me what they are getting with no audio files loaded and idle plus when a few audio files are playing.

I have tested Live and PT running big projects on the new setup with no issues.

Quite often after I've opened firefox or pdf reader in the background, coming back to reaper it wont play.

Cheers
Ben
Old 04-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #49
519tbarr

Ollie
Not cool buddy.
I know who you are refering to - that would be me.
The end user! Yes i have the bulldozer amd chipset.
Should i be upset when i buy a new cpu and my favorite DAW does not seem to work or be compatible with the current windows OS and Reaper. Absolutely.
Is that my problem... well of course you will say it is. I believe you have made those references in other posts out here.
Problem is... i am an end user. And i can make the software work on the same system
With Windows 7. That's what i am running right now.
Sad part about this all is that ive reported this issue out on these forums... you have put your earmuffs on in your own defense...i get it... and i've emailed support @ cockos with no response twice.
I thought i was the only one with these cpu spikes and to a minor degree was made to feel like it was my problem, my computer.
I am no cpu guru. But clearly there is an issue between newer AMD processors Windows 8 Pro and the current versions of reaper.
I have had great member support in the forums trying to get help from the user base.
Thank you to everyone who has helped.
So yeah... thats all i have to say...
I'm currently running Reaper on my Asus CM1831 tower with the AMD FX-8120 processor with Windows 7 and until Cockos fixes the issue with Windows 8 and current AMD processors...im not budging. And i advise the same for anyone using a newer AMD processor.
Maybe Cockos/Reaper would be well advised to put an advisory on their purchase page before someone buys the software with these AMD processors and Windows 8 until they find a solution or fix the bug.

I plan on selling this tower as soon as the new Haswell Intel towers are available later this year. Hopefully Reaper will work with those towers!

Last edited by 519tbarr; 04-13-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #50
519tbarr

From - CPU Spiking in general discussion - related to these processors.

Ollie
Not cool buddy.
The end user! Yes i have the bulldozer amd chipset.
Should i be upset when i buy a new cpu and my favorite DAW does not seem to work or be compatible with the current windows OS and Reaper. Absolutely.
Is that my problem... well of course you will say it is. I believe you have made those references in other posts out here.
Problem is... i am an end user. And i can make the software work on the same system
With Windows 7. That's what i am running right now.
Sad part about this all is that ive reported this issue out on these forums... you have put your earmuffs on in your own defense...i get it... and i've emailed support @ cockos with no response twice.
I thought i was the only one with these cpu spikes and to a minor degree was made to feel like it was my problem, my computer.
I am no cpu guru. But clearly there is an issue between newer AMD processors Windows 8 Pro and the current versions of reaper.
I have had great member support in the forums trying to get help from the user base.
Thank you to everyone who has helped.
So yeah... thats all i have to say...
I'm currently running Reaper on my Asus CM1831 tower with the AMD FX-8120 processor with Windows 7 and until Cockos fixes the issue with Windows 8 and current AMD processors...im not budging. And i advise the same for anyone using a newer AMD processor.
Maybe Cockos/Reaper would be well advised to put an advisory on their purchase page before someone buys the software with these AMD processors and Windows 8 until they find a solution or fix the bug.

I plan on selling this tower as soon as the new Haswell Intel towers are available later this year. Hopefully Reaper will work with those towers!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #51
Win Conway

So you are the only person who has this issue ?
And you think you are the only person that has that AMD CPU running in Windows 8

Seems to me that it is most likely YOU have something wrong with YOUR system in Windows 8, because unless a whole slew of people with the same CPU in Windows 8 (There will be a metric f**k bunch) actually step up and say they have the same issue, it is an issue with YOUR system and nothing more.
(the infinite possibilities of what could be causing the issue before you even look at installed software is massive)

Bitching about the support (Especially Ollie) is funny nay hilarious, Ollie is one of the most helpful people you will ever find, he was before he joined Cockos and i am sure he always will be (And i am no Cockos Fanboy, in fact apparently i am the negative one)
Old 04-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #52
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 519tbarr View Post
Ollie
Not cool buddy.
Yeah that would be you, sorry if I offended you. Alas you're so convinced that this must be a REAPER issue that you

- posted that multiple times in the forums
- created 2 premature bug reports in the tracker I had to clean out
- piggyback on other threads about an "high CPU" issue and add confusion, the other one was actually about an old Intel Q6600

despite all the indications and replies to you about how unclear is what the culprit is. Spreading your still very unfounded and overgeneralizing theory anywhere is just adding noise and confusion. I think I tried to explain why this is not going to help you or anyone else in your thread.

Quote:
Should i be upset when i buy a new cpu and my favorite DAW does not seem to work or be compatible with the current windows OS. Absolutely.
Did you read my reply in your own thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
However if you want to play music instead of playing with the OS, consider staying with Win 7 since Win 8 doesn't really win you anything for that application. On production systems, the objective is usually creating a stable platform for your application, not "having the latest" at all (setup, research, testing) costs.
For any DAW software, there are combinations of hardware, drivers and OS that turn out worse than other configurations or slight variations of it. It's not possible to give a warranty on how it performs on an individual configuration.

Alas you're not very computer savvy so it turned out to be very hard to help you or get meaningful responses to find out more closely what's going on, and it's very important to rule out the various issues causing "high CPU usage".

"High CPU usage" is an absolutely universal problem occurring with all kinds of software, operating systems and computer configurations and can't be easily pinpointed to the currently running software most times, there are just too many variables.

Quote:
I believe you have made those references in other posts out here.

Quote:
you have put your earmuffs on in your own defense...i get it...
I'm afraid you don't. I'm currently trying to find out more about the issue again in this thread, because the OP seems to be less interested in yelling blue murder and more interested in finding out what's wrong and apt to help ruling out the usual suspects and finding out what substantial information to pass to the devs, or what Preferences tweak makes the problem go away.

So may I ask you to stay with Windows 7 (which is an option for you after all) for the time being and participate only passively in this and other troubleshooting threads so we can try to pinpoint what the issue is in a more targeted way? It may help you faster than adding confusion and insisting on your theory. Thank you.

Quote:
ive emailed support @ cockos with no response.
Thank you for your email and complaint about me, it couldn't be processed for a few days due to illness, sorry.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #53
519tbarr

As these threads are getting way out of line now...
I dont know Ollie at all. I am not angry with Ollie...just frustrated that i simply cant get my current computer up and running with Reaper in windows 8 on my system.

Ollie...because i am a bigger man...
Understand i have absolutely nothing against you.
I picked up on other forum users cpu issues because clearly some people were struggling with similar issues as i was.
There is absolutely no question you and I will ever see eye to eye on this issue.

So the final chapter of this issue is simply this...
Im going to remain silent for a while and watch the forums.
If a fix comes down the pipe i will gladly receive it.
All the info regarding my issues with cpu max amd and windows 8 are in the wild for the devs to see.
I will take a private message if one is received.

All the best to those who are struggling with the same thing as I.
And i must say... Its great to be Canadian!!!

Oh and by the way Ollie... if i complained about you directly you directly my apologies...
Good customer support is the kind where you arent aknowledged by the company you put an email in to...

Last edited by 519tbarr; 04-14-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #54
Justin
Administrator

For the 8-thread Bulldozers, should try setting the thread count in Preferences/Buffering to 4 rather than 8 (it autodetects 8, unfortunately). Please let us know if that helps!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #55
519tbarr

Justin
Thanks for the recent msg. Just out recovering from surgury.
I will try this when im back in the land of the living and get back to you.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #56
Haniel

Default Same problem

I am having the same problem, with the same MoBo, but I am using W7, and I am not getting any CPU spikes. I am just getting choppy, stuttering audio; the red light indicator flickers on after about 30 seconds, and then the program crashes.

I am just as lost as you are, so if you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.
Haniel is offline   Reply With Quote