Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 07-08-2017, 11:54 AM   #1
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings

Default (old pre-release thread) REAPER for Linux: general discussion/setup/bugs

This thread is for the general discussion of setup, bugs, issues, tips & tricks, etc, regarding REAPER for Linux only. Please refrain from polluting it with other topics or pro/anti-OS discussion.

Please check out: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux for further details.

Use https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=193791 to discuss the use of Linux plug-ins, and https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=193761 for Windows plug-ins
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)

Last edited by Jack Winter; 09-20-2017 at 05:38 AM.
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:02 PM   #2
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
I've created this thread to discuss how to run the developer version on linux. It seems to me that the old huge thread has outlived its usefulness and is probably not the best start for a user seeking information about how to run reaper on linux.

General advice, bugs, issues, tips & tricks, etc are on topic, the usefulness of a linux port not

I'm creating another thread to discuss how to run windows vsts in the linux version, as it appears to me to be a different topic.
Good idea but the thread title gave me hopes of access to the Reaper source code
Old 07-08-2017, 12:09 PM   #3
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddiesel41264 View Post
Good idea but the thread title gave me hopes of access to the Reaper source code
Don't I wish
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 07-08-2017, 08:15 PM   #4
Justin
Administrator

Updated the original post with some more information/etc.

Might post more info here eventually:
(but not today)
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:30 PM   #5
Finnish

IMHO audio optimizations for linux should be gathered here?
Old 07-09-2017, 12:12 AM   #6
swindus

I would add LV2 plugins to the not supported features of Linux Reaper too.
Hint: There are a lot of great LV2 plugins avialable!!! ;-)
swindus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:10 AM   #7
SmajjL

Jack, are you telling me the whole NI Ultimate will work and even RME TotalMix?
Just curious for now.

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:25 AM   #8
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Jack, are you telling me the whole NI Ultimate will work and even RME TotalMix?
Just curious for now.
Not really But fwiw, I have komplete8 (not updated for a few years) installed in a wine prefix and it appears to work in reaper when loaded by linvst. Guitarrig appears to work without xruns at very low latency, but I haven't been able to run any of the vstis when fed with midi at low latency, though 1024/2048 seems to work fine.

As far as totalmix is concerned I doubt that it will be working any day soon. Would probably mean writing rme drivers for the kernel and porting the totalmix app to linux. Though someone wrote a totalmix looking mixer app for some of the older rme hardware.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:16 AM   #9
SmajjL

Had to ask.
Think Uhe stuff will get my money first then.
As for soundcard, my older computer have an Asus Essence ST and it works, minus the software, but i'll survive.
Thanks Jack.

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:02 AM   #10
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by swindus View Post
In the meantime, Carla plugin can be used in Reaper
to host lv2 plugins, so we're not totally deprived.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:16 AM   #11
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Guitarrig appears to work without xruns at very low latency, but I haven't been able to run any of the vstis when fed with midi at low latency, though 1024/2048 seems to work fine.
I use 2 periods 128frames 44100 for keys, and Massive
works great. I can't play fast enough to outrun it. I use an
mAudio 24/96 pci card...oops...wrong forum.
That didn't take long.
Cheers
Old 07-09-2017, 10:30 AM   #12
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
I use 2 periods 128frames 44100 for keys, and Massive
works great. I can't play fast enough to outrun it. I use an
mAudio 24/96 pci card...oops...wrong forum.
That didn't take long.
Cheers
Don't worry about it, bound to happen

FWIW, I tend to be a bit OCD about it all when I test something like this. I normally run hackbench, an utility from the rt-tests package. It puts the system under heavy load, over 200 loadavg on my 8 core system The thought being if it works under such conditions, it won't give me suprises under normal conditions

This tends to shake out any realtime failures quickly.

Last edited by Jack Winter; 07-09-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:43 PM   #13
Finnish

Quote:
+1!!!
Old 07-09-2017, 01:28 PM   #14
brainwreck

Anyone here running without pulse audio? I'm testing the waters on it at the moment in Manjaro. So far, the niggles have been:

Setting my usb audio device as the system default. Had to create ~/.asoundrc and add a couple of lines (the card number can change at boot...something to keep in mind):

defaults.pcm.card 0
defaults.ctl.card 0

But since device order can change at boot (usb can be 0 or 1 and onboard can be 0 or 1), I may need a script to find out which card is which at boot. Done manually, it is:

cat /proc/asound/modules

Which can give me either:

0 snd_usb_audio
1 snd_hda_intel

or

0 snd_hda_intel
1 snd_usb_audio

Saving and loading defaults for alsamixer (because alsamixer doesn't do it automatically):

alsactl --file ~/.config/asound.state store
alsactl --file ~/.config/asound.state restore

I suppose that should be added to a script, too.

Manually loading snd-seq is needed for MIDI with Jack, which isn't automatically loaded at boot. To get that working (as root):

/sbin/modprobe snd-seq
(oops...fixed)

The last one so far is that Firefox has dropped support for alsa (lame!). For now I'm using pale moon browser, but there is something called apulse which is supposed to emulate pulse audio for alsa. I haven't had enough time to tinker with it yet, though.

Also, hopefully reaper support for alsa midi is in the not too distant future.

Last edited by brainwreck; 07-10-2017 at 10:20 AM.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:32 PM   #15
brainwreck

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish View Post
+1!!!
Another +1. In time, I suppose.

Last edited by brainwreck; 07-09-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:40 AM   #16
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Setting my usb audio device as the system default. Had to create ~/.asoundrc and add a couple of lines (the card number can change at boot...something to keep in mind):

defaults.pcm.card 0
defaults.ctl.card 0

But since device order can change at boot (usb can be 0 or 1 and onboard can be 0 or 1), I may need a script to find out which card is which at boot. Done manually, it is:

cat /proc/asound/modules

Which can give me either:

0 snd_usb_audio
1 snd_hda_intel

or

0 snd_hda_intel
1 snd_usb_audio
IMO it's best to lock this down, which can be done by configuring modprobe. What file to edit and where it's placed might vary, but on my system it's in /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf which contains the following:

Code:
options snd-hda-intel model=auto,auto index=0,1 id=Intel,NVidia
options snd-hdsp index=2
options snd-usb-audio index=3
Also if you look at the first column in /proc/asound/cards you get a name for each card. You can often refer to them by name instead of index, like hw:Intel instead of hw:0.

Quote:
Saving and loading defaults for alsamixer (because alsamixer doesn't do it automatically):

I suppose that should be added to a script, too.
This happens automatically on my system.

Quote:
Manually loading snd-seq is needed for MIDI with Jack, which isn't automatically loaded at boot. To get that working (as root):
You can just add snd-seq to modprobe.conf, but this really ought to be automatic on your distro...
Old 07-10-2017, 08:48 AM   #17
brainwreck

Quote:
IMO it's best to lock this down, which can be done by configuring modprobe. What file to edit and where it's placed might vary, but on my system it's in /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf which contains the following:

Code:
options snd-hda-intel model=auto,auto index=0,1 id=Intel,NVidia
options snd-hdsp index=2
options snd-usb-audio index=3
Also if you look at the first column in /proc/asound/cards you get a name for each card. You can often refer to them by name instead of index, like hw:Intel instead of hw:0.

This happens automatically on my system.

You can just add snd-seq to modprobe.conf, but this really ought to be automatic on your distro...
In case I didn't mention it above, for this install I opted out of systemd for openrc using the Manjaro Architect installer, and these issues are likely a result of that. I think that I wouldn't be seeing these issues with a default Manjaro install. But trying to run openrc is a learning endeavor for me. What init system are you running?

And thanks. Creating /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf and adding these lines to it seems to take care of the sound device order issue:

Code:
options snd_usb_audio index=0
options snd_hda_intel index=1
After taking a closer look, snd_seq_device is being loaded by default, but the complaint from jack is:

Code:
03:50:05.109 Could not open ALSA sequencer as a client. ALSA MIDI patchbay will be not available.
ALSA lib seq_hw.c:466:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such file or directory
connect(2) call to /dev/shm/jack-1000/default/jack_0 failed (err=No such file or directory)
attempt to connect to server failed
But for whatever reason, this takes care of it manually:

Code:
/etc/modprobe snd-seq
Old 07-10-2017, 09:50 AM   #18
Jack Winter

Quote:
In case I didn't mention it above, for this install I opted out of systemd for openrc using the Manjaro Architect installer, and these issues are likely a result of that. I think that I wouldn't be seeing these issues with a default Manjaro install. But trying to run openrc is a learning endeavor for me. What init system are you running?
Since I'm running archlinux I use systemd. I dislike it in general and much preferred the old bsd style init, but don't think it's a good idea to fight the distro on such a low level...

Quote:
After taking a closer look, snd_seq_device is being loaded by default, but the complaint from jack is:

Code:
03:50:05.109 Could not open ALSA sequencer as a client. ALSA MIDI patchbay will be not available.
ALSA lib seq_hw.c:466:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such file or directory
connect(2) call to /dev/shm/jack-1000/default/jack_0 failed (err=No such file or directory)
attempt to connect to server failed
But for whatever reason, this takes care of it manually:

Code:
/etc/modprobe snd-seq
No idea about this, but I suppose another problem related to your distro hacking
Old 07-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #19
brainwreck

In years of off/on use of linux, I never came across a down to earth guide on configuring and tinkering with alsa. Anyone come across anything? I haven't seen alsa covered in admin books; the few articles on it are indecipherable; lot's of broken up bits and pieces around the net on it.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:24 AM   #20
brainwreck

On storing alsa mixer settings, I'ma ditz. Settings are automatically recalled after a reboot after doing this:

Code:
alsactl store
Rather than manually doing this after each reboot:

Code:
Although, I'm not sure yet where alsactl stores settings when not specifying a file (edit: man says it is at /var/lib/alsa/asound.state). But the latter would be a good idea for backing up alsa mixer settings. It sucks when you are tinkering around with alsa drivers and have to manually reconfigure alsa mixer settings. By the way, the asound.state could be saved anywhere and probably renamed to whatever you like.

Last edited by brainwreck; 07-10-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:52 AM   #21
Jack Winter

Quote:
In years of off/on use of linux, I never came across a down to earth guide on configuring and tinkering with alsa. Anyone come across anything? I haven't seen alsa covered in admin books; the few articles on it are indecipherable; lot's of broken up bits and pieces around the net on it.
Regarding configuration of the hardware, that's a pretty sad story..

For instance Intel HDA is a specification, and manufacturers are free to implement devices in many different ways. What is supposed to happen is that the BIOS puts this information into the ACPI tables, so that the OS knows where to route audio, where the opamps are, what to name inputs/outputs, etc. Of course the BIOS hardly ever does this, in fact it often lies, so things go wrong. On windows the driver is mostly composed of this info and not much else

There are ALSA configuration tools to manipulate the routing and name things properly, etc. Once the problems have been fixed for a specific hardware implementation (motherboard/chipset/soundcard), then a so called "quirk" can be added to ALSA, so that it knows what to do with that specific Intel HDA in the future. But this is a moving target

On USB we are more or less stuck with audio class 2.0 compliant soundcards, no onboard DSP, etc.

There are a smattering of devices that do have a driver that actually works well, and from what I understand firewire interfaces work very well (low latency) when they work. There seems to also be a new trend of putting networking into highend cards, so possibly we'll gain access to more advanced features through a browser.

Regarding configuring the higher ALSA layer, the best I found are the actual ALSA docs like: http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Asoundrc and http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc...m_plugins.html

Last edited by Jack Winter; 07-10-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:57 AM   #22
Jack Winter

Quote:
On storing alsa mixer settings, I'ma ditz. Settings are automatically recalled after a reboot after doing this:

Code:
alsactl store
Rather than manually doing this after each reboot:

Code:
IIRC, systemd runs "/usr/bin/alsactl store" when shutting down and "ExecStop=-/usr/bin/alsactl restore" on startup, my old init used to do the same.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:08 AM   #23
brainwreck

Quote:
IIRC, systemd runs "/usr/bin/alsactl store" when shutting down and "ExecStop=-/usr/bin/alsactl restore" on startup, my old init used to do the same.
Good to know. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:17 PM   #24
David Else

I just formatted by drive to install Fedora 26. I must be a masochist, could have just hit the update button but have an OCD tendency to like formatting things... clean! (make the dirty bad out of date files go away

Anyway, have Reaper back sans working settings. I have my old $HOME dir, but no idea where to dig things out from.

Latest real time LinVST seems to be fantastic, much faster start and stop.

The way I got JACK and MIDI to work before was to configure it in Qjackctl, then it just magically worked when I ran Reaper... even after I deleted Qjackctl.

There is an option to enter commands in the Reaper Prefs for JACK, is there something I can enter to just make it work again? Do i need to install/run Qjackctl again? Maybe there will be my original config file inside my old $HOME directory?

A nice little control panel for Jack inside Reaper would be very handy
Old 07-12-2017, 01:36 PM   #25
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Else View Post
Anyway, have Reaper back sans working settings. I have my old $HOME dir, but no idea where to dig things out from.
Look in $OLDHOME/.REAPER? Personally I've kept the same home for 10-15 years now, with me on many linux installs

Quote:
There is an option to enter commands in the Reaper Prefs for JACK, is there something I can enter to just make it work again? Do i need to install/run Qjackctl again? Maybe there will be my original config file inside my old $HOME directory?
Try cat $OLDHOME/.jackdrc

You could cut and paste that into the reaper settings to make reaper start the jack server.

Unless you need midi you could also just use the alsa driver.

Last edited by Jack Winter; 07-12-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #26
David Else

I found the .jackdrc, which contains:

jackd -dalsa -dhw:USB -r48000 -p128 -n3 -Xseq

if i paste that into 'auto-start...' in prefs i get:

there was an error opening the audio hardware
JACK:error creating client

same if i miss out 'jackd' from the string... any idea?
Old 07-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #27
Jack Winter

Quote:
I found the .jackdrc, which contains:

if i paste that into 'auto-start...' in prefs i get:

there was an error opening the audio hardware
JACK:error creating client

same if i miss out 'jackd' from the string... any idea?
Try to run it from the command line and see what kind of error you get?
Old 07-12-2017, 01:54 PM   #28
David Else

Quote:
Try to run it from the command line and see what kind of error you get?
A ha! I run from the terminal and it works fine... open Reaper and it's no error and works... but as soon as I ctrl-c in the terminal and quit, it DOES NOT work in Reaper any more. Back to the same error?

jackdmp 1.9.10
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2014 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
no message buffer overruns
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 20
self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
audio_reservation_init
Acquire audio card Audio1
creating alsa driver ... hw:USB|hw:USB|128|3|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 128 frames (2.7 ms), buffer = 3 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 3 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 3 periods for playback
Using port names patch v0.1 (07.04.2010)
Trying to load portnames from /home/david/.config/jack/cards/Scarlett 6i6 USB.ss.ports.in
Trying to load portnames from /home/david/.config/jack/cards/Scarlett 6i6 USB.ports.in
Trying to load portnames from /etc/jack/cards/Scarlett 6i6 USB.ss.ports.in
Trying to load portnames from /etc/jack/cards/Scarlett 6i6 USB.ports.in
Trying to load portnames from /home/david/.config/jack/cards/Scarlett 6i6 USB.ss.ports.out
Trying to load portnames from /home/david/.config/jack/cards/Scarlett 6i6 USB.ports.out
Trying to load portnames from /etc/jack/cards/Scarlett 6i6 USB.ss.ports.out
Trying to load portnames from /etc/jack/cards/Scarlett 6i6 USB.ports.out
port created: Midi-Through:midi/playback_1
port created: Midi-Through:midi/capture_1
port created: Scarlett-6i6-USB:midi/playback_1
port created: Scarlett-6i6-USB:midi/capture_1
Old 07-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #29
Jack Winter

Quote:
A ha! I run from the terminal and it works fine... open Reaper and it's no error and works... but as soon as I ctrl-c in the terminal and quit, it DOES NOT work in Reaper any more. Back to the same error?
Screenshot of your settings?
Old 07-12-2017, 01:58 PM   #30
David Else

http://www.learndigitalaudio.com/wp-...2-21-56-42.png

is this what you wanted?
Old 07-12-2017, 02:05 PM   #31
Jack Winter

Add "/usr/bin/jackd" in front

You could also put a script there, if you want to do more fancy stuff!
Old 07-12-2017, 02:13 PM   #32
David Else

Quote:
Add "/usr/bin/jackd" in front

You could also put a script there, if you want to do more fancy stuff!
THANKS!
Old 07-13-2017, 08:39 PM   #33
joelsampson

Somewhat off topic, but thought I would post this in this thread.

I have been using Ubuntu Studio for years. I really like the LXCE window interface. This also has a low latency kernel. I was not doing much music production with it. I mostly write Python on Linux plus some general business and graphics. However, Ubuntu 16.04 seems to be very "quirky" if not plain buggy. I was having major issues with Wine and much more.

I switched to Mint LXCE which easily installed on three PC's (an older desktop, HP x360 Convertible laptop and a Toshiba laptop) and seems to be very stable. I wrote a little BASH script to install all the apps I needed.

Anyway, thought my experience might help someone else. I'm looking to try Reaper. I have quite a few U-he plugins, which should work. The U-he plugins sound great, work great and have a license similar to Reaper.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:10 PM   #34
4duhwinnn

I'm using Mint 18, also with U-he plugins,
and not having any serious issues. Other than
needing more time on the clock to use them!
Do you know Texstar? I also use his pclinuxos distro
with good times prevailing. He's in Spring Texas,
according to his profile.
Cheers
Old 07-15-2017, 05:03 AM   #35
MusicMan74

Quote:

The stock build should run (hopefully) on any modern Linux system, it requires libstdc++.so.5, and by default requires GTK+ v3 to be installed, though if you recompile libSwell.so (todo: link), you can also target GTK+ v2.
Is installing a low-latency kernel and configuring an audio group 'required' as described by Ted Felix here? http://tedfelix.com/linux/linux-midi...latency-kernel
MusicMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:30 AM   #36
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsampson View Post
Somewhat off topic, but thought I would post this in this thread.

I have been using Ubuntu Studio for years. I really like the LXCE window interface. This also has a low latency kernel. I was not doing much music production with it. I mostly write Python on Linux plus some general business and graphics. However, Ubuntu 16.04 seems to be very "quirky" if not plain buggy. I was having major issues with Wine and much more.

I switched to Mint LXCE which easily installed on three PC's (an older desktop, HP x360 Convertible laptop and a Toshiba laptop) and seems to be very stable. I wrote a little BASH script to install all the apps I needed.

Anyway, thought my experience might help someone else. I'm looking to try Reaper. I have quite a few U-he plugins, which should work. The U-he plugins sound great, work great and have a license similar to Reaper.
There's a mint LXCE? I've heard of LXDE and XFCE, but not LXCE. Which one do you mean? They're both light desktop enviros, both probably good for Reaper Linux. I think you made a typo (sorry, hate to be a stickler, but this matters as they are two different DE's).
michael diemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:55 AM   #37
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan74 View Post
Is installing a low-latency kernel and configuring an audio group 'required' as described by Ted Felix here? http://tedfelix.com/linux/linux-midi...latency-kernel
You'll want the audio group, with your user as a member.
The low latency kernel is optional, but will yield better
performance for cpu-intensive music-making.
If you don't notice performance issues, follow your normal
workflow regarding such changes/upgrades. And the old adage,
'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', should be on page 1 of
the manual.

Your cpufreq settings are also a factor, If they are not
set to scale on demand, or to run at maximum speed,
you won't get your monies worth, when the system is under
heavy load.
Cheers
Old 07-15-2017, 11:29 AM   #38
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
'if it ain't broke, don't fix it',
A bad idea regarding performance issues, as the next urgent project will be more demanding.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:28 PM   #39
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan74 View Post
AFAIK, nothing of that is required for reaper to run, but one can take a few steps to get lower latency without audio dropouts.

I'll try to explain in a simplified manner, but I'll probably ramble and get long winded. I might edit this post again later to make it more comprehensible

Linux low latency audio is based on POSIX real time threads. A thread of a higher priority will preempt threads of lower priority and will run until it's finished. The idea is to order the priority of the threads, so that the soundcard IRQ has the highest, then the audio threads, and below that the threads dealing with hardware like the screen, disk io, etc, and lowest of all the other programs running on the computer.

Kernels:

Kernels can be of several different types types of scheduling models, the ones we are interested in are capable of preempting a running thread to run one of a higher priority. If the kernel can't do this, you can still run reaper but you will have to use bigger buffers and you risk dropouts.

The kernels of interest are referred to as lowlatency and realtime. A lowlatency kernel can preempt threads. The realtime kernel in addition tries to maximize the surface of the kernel itself that can be preempted, so it can achieve a lower kernel scheduling latency (the maximum time it takes the kernel to start running a thread).

If you have a deadline of 1.4ms, and it takes the kernel 10ms to schedule your audio, you get a dropout.

The only relevant difference is that the realtime kernel can achieve a lower scheduling latency than the lowlatency kernel.

To see what kernel you have, if the output of "uname -a" contains "PREEMPT" then it's a lowlatency kernel, and if it contains "PREEMPT RT" then it's a realtime kernel.

Computer hardware can cause problems in scheduling, as can software drivers. Things like NMI/SMI hardware interrupts or wifi, bt, video, or other software drivers.

User privileges:

To be able to schedule threads real time, the user running reaper (or a group he belongs to) has to be able to use "rtprio". The max value is 99, but there are some kernel threads running there, so I'd suggest setting rtprio to 98.

It would also be bad for low latency if the system discarded or swapped RAM containing reaper/plugin code/data to disk, thus the reason to give the user the capability to set "memlock". My suggestion is to set it to unlimited, but you can set a smaller size if you want to.

Normally there are very few programs using memlock on linux, basically only your audio programs, so it seems wise to make sure that it all stays in RAM, but if you go too far you can swap out the entire OS (user space) and might have to do a hard reset.

To check what your user capabilities are run "ulimit -a".

Soundcard IRQ priorities:

The realtime kernel exports most of the interrupt handlers to run as threads in user space, as does the lowlatency kernel when booted with the "threadirq" boot flag.

The IRQ handlers will run at priority 50, with some kernel house keeping threads at 99 and some software timers at 1.

Setting the thread handling the soundcard or the usb hub IRQ to a high priority will make sure that it runs before most of the other interrupt handlers.

Reccomended priorities:

99 kernel threads
95 sound card interrupt handler
80 jackd/or reaper (ALSA)
50 hardware interrupt handlers
1 software timers
0 most threads

This pretty much covers the configuration of low latency audio on Linux. Hope it's useful and that I didn't ramble too much

Last edited by Jack Winter; 07-15-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:59 PM   #40
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
A bad idea regarding performance issues, as the next urgent project will be more demanding.

-Michael
I'd tend to agree. My modus operandi is to pound the system as hard as I can, if it's xrun free, then I know that a lighter project won't cause problem.