Old 09-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
RaNk
Human being with feelings

Default Waves plugins crash Reaper.

Hi,

First post. I've been reading and learning on this forum alot, but I couldn't find a solution to my problem so I decided to post it.

After working 32 bit for a long time, I decided to upgrade to a 64 bit DAW. Everything went fine, until I loaded a project and tried to open a Waves plugin GUI (Waves V9). It crashed after that. The project on itsself runs fine though (when restarted), and I can play/render with no problem. It only crashes after opening one of the plugins.

Info:

Naam van toepassing met fout: reaper.exe, versie: 4.2.6.1, tijdstempel: 0x5033f357
Naam van module met fout: WaveShell-VST 9.1_x64.dll, versie: 9.1.0.9, tijdstempel: 0x4fec3581
Uitzonderingscode: 0xc0000005
Foutoffset: 0x00000000000042f4
Id van proces met fout: 0x1798
Starttijd van toepassing met fout: 0x01cd8ea739a90323

I googled on the error code, (access violation), and found some general thing I could try. I tried extensively testing the memory, new GPU drivers, but all these tricks didn't help.

After some more research it seemed that if I removed Waves plugins from another buss, I could open them again.

With this info, I started a totally clean project and started adding Waves plugins on a track. No matter which plugin I added, after *exactly* 32 instances it crashes. Very reproducible. I tried this with other plugins (Slate VCC) and could add hundreds of them without a problem, up until a point where they start making noise on themselves. But the project didn't crash.

What's also interesting, is that if I use the option to display the standard GUI (with the sliders only) it doesn't crash. It only happens when the Waves GUI is selected.

I also tried using the 32bit (in bridged mode) plugins. Same problem. Also tried some settings like "buggy plugin support" and others, to no avail. It only happens with Waves plugins. I uninstalled/reinstalled the pack a few times too.

I hope someone has a few ideas about this, thanks in advance.

System info:
Windows 7 64bit
Intel i7 2600 cpu
8GB memory
Using internal mobo GFX card
Reaper 64bit
All other plugins 64 bit only
RaNk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:22 AM   #2
miche

Random thought, just to see if this is not due to some weird configuration in the reaper ini file:

Did you try doing a portable install somewhere on your drive, configure the VST path of your x64 plugins (and if you can, only these), and do your tests again?
miche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #3
bradleyfilms

Adding to Miche's post, try separating the waveshells.
I have the 32bit one in C:\VST32 and the 64bit one in C:\VST64 Note that these folders are outside of the Program folders, and I also renamed the 64bit version so it has the same name as the 32bit one (just deleted _x64 from the name) which stops the bridged versions from appearing.
Reaper x64 scans the 32bit folder before the 64bit one (set in Preferences->VST)
I do get a crash when I've bought new Waves plugins, but this is probably due to the way Waveshells work, and firing up Reaper again resolves it.
Another thing, be very very careful about deleting old Waveshells, I have them going back a few versions ('cos WUP is expensive), but if you have say a v9 plugin and the same as v8 (i.e. still on you iLOK) you may get a crash.
Steve
Old 09-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
RaNk

Thanks miche and bradleyfilms for your kind help. I tried all of your suggestions, but it's still the same. Also tried an older version of Reaper and the newest (Beta) one. Also tried the 32bit version again. It doesn't help.

One thing I didn't mention is that I used a Radeon GPU in my previous configuration. Right now I'm using the onboard GPU. It's a change of course. I don't know if the GPU can be an issue here, but I'm gonna try this and see what happens. Will post the results here.

Thanks again, really appreciate it.

*edit*

Ok, so with the Radeon GPU it seems to work ok. Strange how a GPU can limit the amount of Waves plugins allowed... Well I tried other (BIOS) settings and drivers with the onboard GPU, but nothing worked ok. So I guess I'm gonna keep the Radeon in for the time being. ;-)

I'd also like to add which motherboard I'm using. It's an Asus P7Z68-V.

Last edited by RaNk; 09-10-2012 at 11:51 AM.
RaNk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
miche

It's always good news when a bug crash can be avoided. Yet I'm a bit confused about the solution. Has anyone a clue how changing GPU can affect the way Reaper handles Waves plugins?? Shouldn't devs be warned about this issue? If I remember well, Waves GUI gave them a hard time. And obviously, there is still some issue with these.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
miche

Just wondering if someone with Rank's onboard gpu, the intel hd graphics 4000, can load more than 31 wave plugins without a gui crash?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #7
Alex K

I can confirm the same problem at exactly 32 plugins (both Waves and Cockos). Using standard GUI for Waves plugins prevents crashing.

Reaper 4.31/x64 rev 7d61bf
Windows 7 64bit
Waves 9
Alex K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #8
airon

Waves plugins use OpenGL. That may be a clue that I hope can fix your issue.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:37 AM   #9
nafrosounds

Default Waves 9 Crashes

Hi there, I had a similar problem with waves plug ins crashing, they will open fine but when I close them using the little cross it crashes everything. I'm using ableton and have been searching for a way to solve this. I read about the open gl before but not really knowing about graphics cards it didn't really mean much to me till last night. I decided to investigate the properties of my display. Right click desktop, graphics properties. Now this took me to the software installed that runs my graphics card in this case its Intel graphics media accelerator driver for mobile, I'm using a sony vaio vgn-nw20sf laptop with 4gig ram. Now I went to the 3d settings and low and behold on that page it says open gl. So without much idea about the settings I turned everything on like triple buffering set the colour texture depth to 32 bit, depth buffer bit depth to 16 bit etc. etc... just basically messed about with the 3d settings. Then I loaded Ableton loaded the first waves plugin and to my amazement no crashing. I couldn't tell you if this works for Reaper but I'm guessing it is the open gl and the graphics card that cause the problems not the software so mess with these settings and maybe it could sort it out. I'm just about to try the same thing on my studio computer now so fingers crossed.
nafrosounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:57 AM   #10
xadovitch

I have the same problem with Waves v9(reaper crash when a 32th 64 bit plugin is open). I use an intel I5 PCU with integrated GPU, an intel HD 4600.

I resolved the problem by switching to 16 bit color instead of 32 bit color on my GPU configuration panel.

As I have to buy a new graphic card for adding a second screen, does anybody know if there is some issue with the AMD RADEON HD6450 1GB DDR3 and waves plugins (in 32 bit color mode)? Thats the GPU I plan to buy.

(Ha... it's my first post on the forum, I'm evaluating Reaper for 5 days. Great DAW so far!)
xadovitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #11
fwd0120

Tried shell2vst?
fwd0120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:36 AM   #12
xadovitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
Tried shell2vst?
Not yet. I'll give it a try if a new GPU doesn't resolve the problem. Thx
xadovitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #13
studioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafrosounds View Post
Hi there, I had a similar problem with waves plug ins crashing, they will open fine but when I close them using the little cross it crashes everything. I'm using ableton and have been searching for a way to solve this. I read about the open gl before but not really knowing about graphics cards it didn't really mean much to me till last night. I decided to investigate the properties of my display. Right click desktop, graphics properties. Now this took me to the software installed that runs my graphics card in this case its Intel graphics media accelerator driver for mobile, I'm using a sony vaio vgn-nw20sf laptop with 4gig ram. Now I went to the 3d settings and low and behold on that page it says open gl. So without much idea about the settings I turned everything on like triple buffering set the colour texture depth to 32 bit, depth buffer bit depth to 16 bit etc. etc... just basically messed about with the 3d settings. Then I loaded Ableton loaded the first waves plugin and to my amazement no crashing. I couldn't tell you if this works for Reaper but I'm guessing it is the open gl and the graphics card that cause the problems not the software so mess with these settings and maybe it could sort it out. I'm just about to try the same thing on my studio computer now so fingers crossed.

Thanks a lot man. this solves my problem!!
studioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:54 AM   #14
Fekadusa

Default Crash on Waves PlugIn

Hey all,

just found this article on the search for potential root causes for my Reaper crashes...

The only thing I knew is that with just a few Waves PlugIns open, whenever I want to add or even just look at a plugin, then Reaper crashes.
This is valid, when a certain amount of totally used plugins is reached (is my feeling).

Now I saw this thread, switched the Graphics driver from 32bit to 16bit in the Graphics Properties and:
YEAH!!!
It seems to have solved the problem. I can add 20 new plugins, no issue found. I do crazy stupid plugin stuff, no crash!!!

Lets hope this really helps in the long run.
Great that I found this thread.
Thank you for the hints.
Fekadusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #15
donchilcott

Default Waves 9 Plugins

I have used the Waves plugins with 64 Bit Reaper, works. I see someone already helped you, what a great resource we have with this friendly forum
Cheers and Happy 4th...
donchilcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:39 PM   #16
sonata

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafrosounds View Post
Bro, you've just saved my life...
sonata is offline   Reply With Quote