Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-09-2019, 09:24 AM   #1
ovitus
Human being with feelings

Default accidentally copying effects from one track to another

I don't know why this is happening so often or how, but whenever I'm adjusting track VSTs, I always end up somehow copying all effects of one track on to another.. It happens all the damn time and really messes me up when I'm trying to make slight adjustments when all of a sudden I have a stack of 10 active effects copied over. I'm thinking it may be a hotkey I'm pressing by accident. Is there is a way to disable this feature? Or maybe it's a bug with the Linux version... Any help please?
ovitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:58 AM   #2
ovitus

This is still a issue. Seems to happen only if I have multiple FX windows from different tracks open. It will copy all the effects from one track into the other. I have to remember to only have one open at a time, otherwise I risk messing my FX stacks up and potentially overloading my system.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:21 AM   #3
Fabian

There is a switch to only allow a single FX window open at a time. You find that on the Preferences > Plug-ins dialog. Search the preferences for "Only allow one".
Old 08-01-2019, 07:30 AM   #4
ovitus

thanks, that helps
Old 08-20-2019, 07:51 AM   #5
ovitus

Still happens if I open another FX window with one already open. Copies all the VSTs over from that one to the other. Super annoying bug...
Old 08-20-2019, 11:41 PM   #6
technogremlin

I have multiple fx windows open, across tracks, all the time and doing small edits in them during my mixing stage, but I have never seen that problem. 5.70 here (note to self: need to update) running on win10.
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:21 AM   #7
ovitus

I'm on 5.982 now. Must be an issue with the Linux version. Where do I file a bug report?
Old 08-22-2019, 08:26 PM   #8
cutnpaste
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovitus View Post
I'm on 5.982 now. Must be an issue with the Linux version. Where do I file a bug report?

You should expect issues with experimental software, it clearly says experimental on the download screen of the website.
cutnpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:26 AM   #9
schwa
Administrator

Could you please give a simple series of steps to reproduce the problem, starting from an empty project?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:17 AM   #10
ovitus

Understanding Reaper is still in Beta for the Linux version and that's why I'd like to file a bug report.

The issue is intermittent, but it's similar to if you have two tracks open and one has a stack of effects, if you click the FX box on one track and drag it over to another, it will copy those effects over. This happens without dragging though, just switching windows.

If there is a way to disable the above feature in options, maybe I can avoid this bug?
Old 09-27-2019, 08:58 AM   #11
ovitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Could you please give a simple series of steps to reproduce the problem, starting from an empty project?
Bumping this thread, because this is a real issue when working on tracks with multiple VSTs. It's difficult to reproduce, but with a blank slate, having two tracks open with multiple VSTs, if you switch between them using the green 'fx' button, they will sometimes copy the effects from one track to another.

This is really hindering my workflow and sometimes I don't notice it until I hear something off, check the track's fx, and it's copied over the entire stack of VSTs from another track.

Is there a way to just disable copying of FX from one track to another, entirely? Any workaround at all?
Old 09-27-2019, 09:27 AM   #12
domzy

are you using a touchpad rather than a mouse? that might be more likely to inadvertently trigger the copy / drag behaviour

and have you posted in the Linux forum to see if it's a common problem? i've not encountered it on Windows personally
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:51 AM   #13
ovitus

No touchpad, just mouse and keyboard. I tried disabling all the options in "Plug-ins", see if that helps.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:17 AM   #14
poetnprophet

How are you switching windows? Alt/Tab? Or with the mouse only?
are you using any modifier buttons, cntl, alt, shift, etc?
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:22 AM   #15
domzy

and have you tried with a different mouse/keybd to see if it's a hardware problem?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:32 PM   #16
ovitus

99% sure it's not a hardware issue. I don't have anything special configured and I would have noticed if I had a stuck button. I have Reaper installed on a different PC with Linux, I will see if that has the same issue.