Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 08-19-2021, 05:08 AM   #1
Mcgiver69
Human being with feelings

Default Harrison 32c Channel plugin for $49

Hi guys,

Harrison Mixbus is now selling their console channel strip as a plugin, it is on sale at the moment for $49.

Here's the Blurb:

The new Harrison 32C Channel provides a "greatest hits" collection of features from Harrison's analog console heritage and our Mixbus workstation.

Features:
Legendary Harrison 32C four-band parametric equalizer with proportional Q... bell and shelving curves on the high and low bands... and musical overlapping midrange bands.
32C High Pass and Low Pass filters … with a BUMP button that recreates the slight resonance of the classic console ... providing low end punch.
Harrison's innovative compressor with three different characters: classic compression; vocal leveling; and fast limiting. Those 3 quick presets help you to recreate the most sought-after signature compression effects with minimal effort.
The signal path through the 32C Channel Plugin can be arranged via the routing section, providing the optimum signal flow for your project. You can quickly audition any processor, or combination of processors, in the chain.
Input and output level controls are provided along with a VU style output meter for critical level management throughout.

Here's the link to download the demo
https://harrisonconsolesstore.onfast...nnel-installer

Here's the link to buy the plugin
https://harrisonconsolesstore.onfast...hannel-license

I think this is a great one for us who don't have many options of this type in Linux.
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:23 AM   #2
Glennbo

I've never gotten the draw to plugins like these where they put multiple FX in one VST. Even way back when I was still running Windows and could buy lots of different "Channel" plugins, I never bought or thought I wanted one. Each plugin I add is added to address some specific thing, so I've always just added plugins as I actually needed them.

That said, Harrison does make some nice plugins. I use their AVA Mastering EQ on my sub-master all the time.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 11:01 AM   #3
Mcgiver69

It all comes from the console days, lots of people still love the SSL & API style channel strips so there's a market for them. The theory is that's the old school of mixing and that one plugin that provides multiple functions consumes less resources.

Having said that this channel strip sounds great, I use it in Mixbus.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:31 AM   #4
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgiver69 View Post
It all comes from the console days, lots of people still love the SSL & API style channel strips so there's a market for them. The theory is that's the old school of mixing and that one plugin that provides multiple functions consumes less resources.

Having said that this channel strip sounds great, I use it in Mixbus.
If it uses less resources, that's a big plus.

If you put an instance of it by itself on a track, then look at REAPER's Performance Meter, how much PDC does it show? That would be a real important one for me.

Last edited by Glennbo; 08-22-2021 at 06:33 AM.
Old 08-21-2021, 07:28 AM   #5
Tobbe

Any of you guys install 32c Channel plugin? It doesn't go well on Manjaro. It ends up in the "Plugins that failed to scan". I emailed Harrison but no answer yet. The install.sh doesn't work either. I copied the .so file into /home/me/.vst no luck. Then to /usr/lib/lxvst as it says in the textfile. No luck.
Old 08-21-2021, 10:09 AM   #6
JamesPeters

You might be missing a dependency. Try ldd (filename) in the directory of the file, to see what dependencies it requires and if you have them installed.

If this is a VST3 or LV2 plugin, you're required to leave the directory structure of the plugin as it is. For instance there would be a folder named Plugin.lv2 and inside there would be the .so file and some .ttl files. For VST3 (other than legacy VST3) there would be a folder named Plugin.vst3 and inside it a folder named Contents, in that a folder named x86_64-linux, and then in that the .so file. Leave these directory structures as they are; don't just take out the .so files and put them in your LV2 and VST3 directories.

Also be sure you have your LV2 and VST3 directories separate (don't mix plugin types), and point Reaper to each directory in the preferences dialog.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 08-21-2021 at 10:15 AM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 11:14 AM   #7
Tobbe

Missing: libcurl-gnutls

Thanks alot. You're a champ
Old 08-21-2021, 11:29 AM   #8
Glennbo

Appears to be a VST2, and just copying it to my .vst/harrison folder made it work.

Oh, and in answer to my own question earlier about PDC, it rings in at ZERO on track three, the vocal sub.

Last edited by Glennbo; 08-21-2021 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:39 AM   #9
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
Missing: libcurl-gnutls

Thanks alot. You're a champ
Glad to help. I think that was missing in my default Manjaro install too, and I needed to install it for another plugin.
Old 08-21-2021, 04:56 PM   #10
grinder

So what do you think of the plugin good guy's?

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:38 AM   #11
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
So what do you think of the plugin good guy's?

Grinder
It does what it's supposed to do. I removed three FX from my vocal bus and was able to quickly arrive at the same sound I had before using the Harrison channel plugin. That said, using ReaEQ and ReaComp like I normally do isn't much different for me, but if you like channel plugins, this one is decent.
Old 08-22-2021, 12:03 PM   #12
grinder

Thanks Glennbo!

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:20 PM   #13
JamesPeters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9eySYxwDXI

lol
Old 09-13-2021, 08:27 AM   #14
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Interesting video. It confirms the "meh" feeling I got when trying the plugin out to see how it would do replacing ReaEQ and Reacomp on one of my projects.

For native Linux compression and tone shaping, U-He's Presswerk is the coolest thing available. Takes a good bit of time to understand how to make it do some of the really slick things, but that's due to the different paradigm of its controls. Things like making a high pass version of the signal expand as the full range signal compresses.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:01 AM   #15
Mcgiver69

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
LOL indeed :P
Having said that, it seems to be very common this days with very expensive plugins that offer that "Analog" sound.