Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
CaptainHook
Human being with feelings

Default [Solved] Help with 'Trim Content Behind Media Items'

Hey guys, i've searched a bit for an answer on this but had no luck, hoping some kind soul can help with me this:

"Trim content behind media items when editing" - how do i enable this for every project by default? 90% of the time i want this on except for special cases, it confuses me that by default it's off. Who does normal editing with this off??

Also, when having more than one item selected and trimming that item, all selected items are trimmed. Can i turn this off? Again, except for special (very rare) occasions that i would want to do this, it just annoys the hell out of me.

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Last edited by CaptainHook; 11-27-2012 at 01:46 AM.
CaptainHook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Peter Richan

hi, I haven't tried this for your issue specifically, but usually set your prefs with an empty song, then save as default/template.

I think you can find both of these in the Actions list, and you could makle them a toolbar for quick access, too.

I have my "x" key do the action "trim media behind selected item(s)". Otherwise, if there happens to small pieces of items with multiple takes, I might lose them.
Peter Richan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
CaptainHook

Just to make sure i understand, i have to create a session template and always open that first before starting a session? Doesn't seem any easier/faster than remembering to enable that option for every project? Seems odd you can't set this 'globally' for all projects... or is that just me?

Anyone got any ideas about the trimming selected items thing?

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
planetnine

Nope!

You save as default template and then that automatically comes upwhen you start REAPER. I use it for having a basic set of tracks come up with certain plugins.

I use track templates more though, I can add mono or stereo tracks as I wish.

>
Old 11-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
run, megalodon

turn it on>alt+enter>save as default project settings

This will save a lot things such as horizontal zoom level, tempo track size, options, and probably more stuff. It's best to do it with a new blank project so that you don't end up saving something you don't want.

It's a sneaky feature.
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:26 AM   #6
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post

Also, when having more than one item selected and trimming that item, all selected items are trimmed. Can i turn this off? Again, except for special (very rare) occasions that i would want to do this, it just annoys the hell out of me.

Thanks to anyone that can help!
For me that only happens if I hold shift while dragging an edge.

In mouse modifiers in Media item edge Left Drag I have default set to Move Edge>Just Move
Old 11-27-2012, 01:46 AM   #7
CaptainHook

Quote:
Originally Posted by run, megalodon View Post
This will save a lot things such as horizontal zoom level, tempo track size, options, and probably more stuff. It's best to do it with a new blank project so that you don't end up saving something you don't want.
Ah! I though "Save as Project Defaults" only applied to what was shown in the tab in the dialog window (cause that's how those things normally work outside of reaper world.. hehe). Sneaky indeed! Thank you!! Thanks planetnine also!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
In mouse modifiers in Media item edge Left Drag I have default set to Move Edge>Just Move
Thank you!!!!