Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 06-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #81
run, megalodon
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
I know it's not exactly the same thing, but I often choose 'view source beats' when I want to edit a loop, any use to you?
Yes, thank you!
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #82
heda

I would love some presets for MIDI editor lanes.. a menu on the lane to load and save presets of lanes... So with a click you can open Lane 1 with Velocity, Lane 2 with Sustain, and Lane 3 with controller 1 for example.

Also an option to open all lanes that already have controllers inside (the ones with the dot on the list of controllers)
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #83
SpecialRich

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
I would love some presets for MIDI editor lanes.. a menu on the lane to load and save presets of lanes... So with a click you can open Lane 1 with Velocity, Lane 2 with Sustain, and Lane 3 with controller 1 for example.

Also an option to open all lanes that already have controllers inside (the ones with the dot on the list of controllers)

I like the sound of that.
SpecialRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:46 AM   #84
Mak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitpat View Post
Man, i totally agree! This option would be really great. The current keyboard layout takes up valuable space on my laptop screen. Even an option to totally hide the keyboard would help!

Is there a FR for this?
Very good suggestion.

I would suggest than the ways to increase midi workspace should by a specific topic.

There are more ways to increase the midi workspace. What do you think about use transparency to increase the workspace ? The midi workspace (when i am talking about midi workspace, it's just the screen where i put the note on) can be divided in layers. The midi workpace layer, the editing options layers..

For example, Just by keep keyb ctrl on, a floating menu may appear to edit midi. By relax the ctrl, the full workspace goes back.

Using floating menu / dynamic workspace divided by layers could a complete new visual experience in reaper. It would preserve a maximum workspace. It could be visualy revolutionary.

What do you think about ?

(sorry for my bad english guys)
Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #85
Zeigarnik22

Default Expand/Compress CC Dynamics

I would find it useful to be able to select a range of CCs and change their relative dynamics. There is partially some functionality built in for doing this to velocity, but it doesn't quite work with other CCs.

I'm borrowing the idea from this thread:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...ompress+expand

Zeigarnik22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:40 AM   #86
SpecialRich

Aside from the, mandatory IMO, need to edit multiple tracks at one.

It would also be cool to be able to draw curves and wavefoms (sine / saw etc) for CC data, or maybe a pallet of CC / automation shapes and presets.

Ability to size the keyboard (I always like to have it open regardless but being able to save some space would be nice).

Presets for lane setup / editor window would be interesting too.

the ability to overlay a midi editor over a ghosted imaged of a wave form could be handy for alignment too, but i guess this would be part and parcel of multiple track editing? (the default option when audio and midi tracks are selected at once maybe?)

Last edited by SpecialRich; 07-17-2012 at 12:55 AM.
SpecialRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:16 AM   #87
ivansc

Quote:
the ability to overlay a midi editor over a ghosted imaged of a wave form could be handy for alignment too, but i guess this would be part and parcel of multiple track editing? (the default option when audio and midi tracks are selected at once maybe?)

Not sure if I have mentioned this before but I use a block or measure based Arrange page in BPP which makes seeing and manipulating the various parts of a song dead easy.

Basically a rectangular matrix with individual tracks along the Up/Down axis and bars along the horizontal.
Select either one track or any combination in the usual way and you can cut copy drag and drop etc.
Also a facility to mark and name sections, so you can just name intro verse chorus bridge outro and shuffle as required.

Come to think of it, this would be ideal if you could also include the audio tracks in at the same time.
I suppose this doesnt need to be exclusively MIDI but damn it would revolutionise MY workflow.

(cue long drawn out arcane workaround suggestions) ((grin))
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:56 PM   #88
Sound asleep

solo current track button, from within midi editor.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:24 AM   #89
mikeroephonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
solo current track button, from within midi editor.
I would love if the MIDI Filter Box was essentially like a mini track Control Panel. If would show the rec-arm, solo, mute, FX & send buttons, I wouldn't need to spend any time in the Arrange View when working on MIDI-based songs (which is over 99% of how I create my music.)

A lot of people would hate seeing this, so a means to show/hide each of these elements within the MIDI Filter Box would keep the addition from getting in the way of taking up user's screen space.

I made a half-assed GUI mockup of this request a while ago. I'll upload it at some point and make the FR to go along with it.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #90
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroephonics View Post
I would love if the MIDI Filter Box was essentially like a mini track Control Panel. If would show the rec-arm, solo, mute, FX & send buttons, I wouldn't need to spend any time in the Arrange View when working on MIDI-based songs (which is over 99% of how I create my music.)

A lot of people would hate seeing this, so a means to show/hide each of these elements within the MIDI Filter Box would keep the addition from getting in the way of taking up user's screen space.

I made a half-assed GUI mockup of this request a while ago. I'll upload it at some point and make the FR to go along with it.
Heres a post that shows how it's done in Sonar that works great.

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=130
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #91
Sound asleep

Quote:

i'm interested in this.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #92
Sound asleep

another thing i find would be cool, is simply to make all actions available in every other view available in piano roll. so that you can control tcp view things from directly within piano roll. i guess, the bindings would still need to be different though, but to be able to bind one action to one key in tcp, and then also to the same key, or a different one, if you are so inclined, in piano roll.

i know i said simply, but i don't expect that is super likely to be something simple, but i do think it would be super cool, and would open up many possibilities. for example, if i could that, then i'd already have a mute current track button in my piano roll toolbar. i'm pretty sure anyways, unless some unforeseen behaviour exists.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #93
mikeroephonics

I'd like to have one of those so-called "record buttons" in the MIDI Editor's transport when I'm... recording MIDI.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #94
Tod

Quote:
another thing i find would be cool, is simply to make all actions available in every other view available in piano roll. so that you can control tcp view things from directly within piano roll. i guess, the bindings would still need to be different though, but to be able to bind one action to one key in tcp, and then also to the same key, or a different one, if you are so inclined, in piano roll.

i know i said simply, but i don't expect that is super likely to be something simple, but i do think it would be super cool, and would open up many possibilities. for example, if i could that, then i'd already have a mute current track button in my piano roll toolbar. i'm pretty sure anyways, unless some unforeseen behaviour exists.
Actually there is a "Pass through key to main window" action in the Midi Action list that works for all the shortcut keys I've given it.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #95
Tod

Quote:
I'd like to have one of those so-called "record buttons" in the MIDI Editor's transport when I'm... recording MIDI.
I've got "R" set up in the main window for record and it works using the "Pass through key to main window" action I mention above.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #96
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Actually there is a "Pass through key to main window" action in the Midi Action list that works for all the shortcut keys I've given it.
interesting. i'm so going to try this. the thing is though, i seem to recall, that for some reason i couldn't add a non midi action to a toolbar button in piano roll. not sure if this will solve that or not. can't quite remember what the problem was, but i seem to recall that i couldn't even access the actions i wanted.

if my recollection is correct though, i think i will still be bale to find use for that pass through action.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #97
mikeroephonics

Quote:
I've got "R" set up in the main window for record and it works using the "Pass through key to main window" action I mention above.
I just tried this and it works! Thanks a LOT, Tod!
Old 08-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #98
Tod

Quote:
I just tried this and it works! Thanks a LOT, Tod!
You're welcome, the only things I haven't been able to use the "Pass through key to main window" action for are with the Toolbars. They require a special script in order to work. gofer has made a few for me and I use them all the time.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #99
Sound asleep

Quote:
You're welcome, the only things I haven't been able to use the "Pass through key to main window" action for are with the Toolbars. They require a special script in order to work. gofer has made a few for me and I use them all the time.
oh ok, i see, that's a pretty cool feature i wasn't aware of. in that case then, i would like to change my request for allowing actions to contain ascii information. i.e. rather than needing to put a specific action into your action list for your macro, you could enter a keystroke.

this could lead to many problems if you don't use this feature wisely, say, you use it to stick 3 of your commands together easily and then one day change one of them, but it would solve the toolbar issue. the problem with a toolbar button and the midi pass through feature, is that you performed no keystroke to pass through. but if you could put a keystroke into the action list, that would be solved.

what do gofer's scripts look like?

Last edited by Sound asleep; 08-20-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:49 AM   #100
gofer
-blänk-

They are super easy for inbuilt Reaper actions. Transport: Record has the ID 1013 in the main section of the action list. You just write a script that triggers the action with that ID.

The short version:
Code:
RPR_Main_OnCommand(1013, 0)
the slightly longer version I use, because it's clearer what it does without looking up the number:
Code:
TRANSPORT_RECORD = 1013
RPR_Main_OnCommand(TRANSPORT_RECORD, 0)
That's all there is to it. Save that as *.py file, enable ReaScript in Reaper and import the script in the MIDI editor section of the action window. Assign a toolbar button - done.

One downer to it: The toolbar button won't change its state visibly.

SWS or other extension actions afford a line more to work reliably. Example:
"SWS/FNG MIDI: show only used CC lanes" has the Custom ID "_FNG_SHOW_USED_CC_LANES". The script needs to use that instead of the Cmd ID number to work reliably across systems. The script looks like this:
Code:
Used_CC =  RPR_NamedCommandLookup('_FNG_SHOW_USED_CC_LANES')
RPR_Main_OnCommand(Used_CC, 0)

Last edited by gofer; 08-21-2012 at 02:56 AM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:54 AM   #101
Sound asleep

link midi items.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #102
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
link midi items.
are called "pooled MIDI items" in Reaper or do I miss something?
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #103
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
are called "pooled MIDI items" in Reaper or do I miss something?
holy shit. i think you're right. how long have we had that for? i'm going to try and build the command so that it colours items to the same colour as they are copied poole style. i'm not sure if i'll be able to do that though. i think i would need 2 actions for that.

sweet, this will instantly make my life alot easier.

Last edited by Sound asleep; 08-21-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #104
Sound asleep

ok, haven't tried pooled midi items yet, but that seems very much like what i was looking for, so i have a new request then.

upon searching for a way to do it, i don't think this is in the realm of actions, and requires more advanced programming.

what would really help me out a lot and without which pooled midi items would be quite difficult to use.

all pooled midi items that share same source share same random color

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=4321
Old 08-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #105
EvilDragon

Quote:
how long have we had that for?
Since v4.0, IIRC.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #106
Sound asleep

Still, for some reason, having issues with item colors, but i noticed that a button lights up on a pooled item, and all of the items that are pooled with it atthe same time when you select it, which i find at least makes pooled midi items useable, item colors would still be nice, wouldn't be so bad if i had to do that manually. but right now, i have no color functionality for items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Since v4.0, IIRC.
good lord, all this time, i could have been using that. sonofabitch.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #107
EvilDragon

Quote:
good lord, all this time, i could have been using that. sonofabitch.
Ain't it?
Old 08-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #108
mikeroephonics

What are pooled MIDI Items used for? I haven't used this feature yet, but I've heard about it.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #109
EvilDragon

It's simply linked clips - any edits made in any of the pooled clips propagate through all clips in the pool.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #110
mikeroephonics

Thanks, ED. Although I don't write loop-based music, this sounds very useful. It reminds me of FL Studio's Pattern Editor in a way.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #111
EvilDragon

Yep, kinda, except in FL patterns can have more than one track running different VSTs, for example. Well, a MIDI item can hold 16 MIDI channels. But that's kinda limiting in this regard.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #112
hamish

Default MIDI people,

a Reafinement that has come recently is MIDI busses. Anyone using these? Where and how are you use them?
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:07 AM   #113
mawi

In the midi-editor I would like an action to go to start and go to end of item. For my shortcuts.
mawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:47 PM   #114
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buoya View Post
As far as I can see the big ones that stand out for me are..

- MIDI notes snap to visible grid option.
- Resizable Piano Roll
- Removing the piano role from inline editing(You cant add in the first note of the bar because the pianos there..)
- Having each key occupy a seperate grid lane for clarity. I think if your drawing things in a grid in MIDI theres absolutley no need to represent the overlap of the black keys it just makes it a bit confusing to matchup what note you are drawing in.
your last one, i think would be an easy fix in a image editor, for like 5 minutes. especially if that image editore is illustrator, and photoshop would be quite fast also.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #115
TimU

Per take pitch envelopes should control midi pitch imo
TimU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #116
quantic

Default Notation

Notation viewer please!!!
quantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #117
jnif

Quote:
holy shit. i think you're right. how long have we had that for? i'm going to try and build the command so that it colours items to the same colour as they are copied poole style. i'm not sure if i'll be able to do that though. i think i would need 2 actions for that.

sweet, this will instantly make my life alot easier.
Looks like you have a bit short memory
You were enthusiastic about this 'Pooled MIDI items' feature already 9 months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnif View Post
Pooled MIDI items are similar to what you are describing as linked items.
Sometimes pooled items are also called "ghost copies".
Just search for "pool" in Reaper's action list and preferences.
Quote:
ok, well that sounds quite awesome, i'll check it out. thx.
jnif
jnif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:08 PM   #118
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnif View Post
Looks like you have a bit short memory
You were enthusiastic about this 'Pooled MIDI items' feature already 9 months ago.

jnif
lol, seriously? ooooops. your memory on the other hand, i guess is quite awesome. are you sure it was me? how many months ago did reaper 4 come out?
Old 09-14-2012, 04:54 AM   #119
ivansc

Bump to make it look like this thread is still alive.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #120
Sound asleep

the shorter it lives the better the sign.

i forget if i put it up there. but an action for keystroke would be cool. that way you could put an action to a key that you have set as a midi editor pass through key, and make a toolbar icon for that.

i remember mentioning it before, and maybe it was this thread... idk, but i'll mention it again.

it would be cool if we could have a midi improvements feature request group, with all midi feature requests, and on which we could vote. or even if someone is kind enough to formulate a thread in relation to this, with all suggestions, and someone could vote for their favourite? idk if that would solve much, but it would be cool if we could have a all the midi stuff together, and you could just go through and select " would use" or "would not use"

maybe just one thread where the op, lists all the midi suggestions proposed here, with all FR threads corresponding to them, and with links to them, and one could go through the list +1ing the features they would like to see implemented. then we could have a priority list that could help devs know at least which are more in demand.

FR does that, but not as efficiently as sticking a bunch of midi together in one place i find.