Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-07-2020, 06:10 AM   #41
toleolu
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
All the best to you, too. Here's to talking about the awesome music you're going to record!
I was in Pipelines studio tonight. Had a drummer, a bass player, and three female vocalists. Really great session for a first time together. We are just messing around with a couple of covers for now, just kind of as a meet and greet, get comfortable with each other. The plan is to start working on some original stuff once we get a groove going. No plans to do gigs, just record.

I'm really pumped because I have been trying to put something like this together for quit awhile now. The bass player and drummer are awesome, they've been playing together for years and the singers just blew me away, I see some really sweet harmonies coming from them.

Then of course there's Pipeline with his resume. Can't wait to see what we come up with.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:12 AM   #42
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
I was in Pipelines studio tonight. Had a drummer, a bass player, and three female vocalists. Really great session for a first time together. We are just messing around with a couple of covers for now, just kind of as a meet and greet, get comfortable with each other. The plan is to start working on some original stuff once we get a groove going. No plans to do gigs, just record.

I'm really pumped because I have been trying to put something like this together for quit awhile now. The bass player and drummer are awesome, they've been playing together for years and the singers just blew me away, I see some really sweet harmonies coming from them.

Then of course there's Pipeline with his resume. Can't wait to see what we come up with.
Sounds great, I'm happy you got something together, I look forward to hearing what you come up with.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:16 AM   #43
BenK-msx

Telling how everyone just accepts the bizarre turn of events without even basic questions..

Why has a well used multi topic sub forum been (basically) bleach bitted?

Any information?

Main forum is mostly people asking for slick video tutorials these days, opportunities for experienced users to assist other users is way down..

maybe those who make the slick video tutorials are happy.

Smells like a woke move. And what follows woke?
Old 02-07-2020, 06:22 AM   #44
bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
Telling how everyone just accepts the bizarre turn of events without even basic questions..

Any information?

Main forum is mostly people asking for slick video tutorials these days, opportunities for experienced users to assist other users is way down..

maybe those who make the slick video tutorials are happy.

Yes why wwas it 🔐 closed?
Old 02-07-2020, 06:24 AM   #45
Judders

Quote:
Telling how everyone just accepts the bizarre turn of events without even basic questions.
What does it tell you?

Quote:
Global communist revolution?
Old 02-07-2020, 06:35 AM   #46
BobF

Quote:
It's been far busier and fractious years back.

It existed fine for ever.

Mechanisms exist to warn suspend or ban bad actors.

Guys here since 2007 2008 - no problem. Content is tame.

Has a mod become a dictator... A king...
The responsible person should be impeached
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:52 AM   #47
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
The responsible person should be impeached
Well, nntp://cakewalk.coffeehouse is still open.

No one is there though.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:00 AM   #48
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
I'm definitely going to miss the DIY electronics thread! Was just coming to post, too...
I had asked (no reply) years back if it could be moved to general discussion, tips and tricks or similar - I don't think it was denied, I just don't think they saw my request and I didn't push - regardless I'm not sure it would be that out of line to ask that it be moved out, or create a new one ("The 2020 DIY Electronics Thread"), so long as we include reaper in the mix (which we often did in the other thread). At least worth discussing me thinks - I had also wanted it moved because it is unsearchable with google due to the PWD requirement - with ~2.5k posts, it was a nightmare to find old posts sometimes.

Had it not been for that thread, there would be a lot of stuff, I simply would not know and could not do today. I also hope it doesn't get deleted, I used it as my primary documentation of project builds for 5 years and I don't feel like writing code to scrape it!

Last edited by karbomusic; 02-07-2020 at 08:08 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:56 AM   #49
BenK-msx

Quote:
What does it tell you?

Global communist revolution?
Exaggerated:

"We've imprisoned your family"

"Oh, shame, I liked them, anyway I will carry on conforming and not questioning..."

You seem overly fine with it? U seem to enjoy a bit of discourse or no?

Anyway I doubt it's a coincidence that on 'not Impeached day', a mod with a tendency to think orange man bad, and with prior declarations of wanting to shut down the lounge cos politics talk distresses them, decided that 9months of election chat was too much to handle.

And In closing it down became that which they despised, a tyrant.

Its a mentally weak move. Moderating 10 or so largely self moderating users is not a big chore.

If annoying then quit the job, get someone else in.

the overall forum is weakened for it, where do any off topic chats go? Verboten??

my own personal affinity with forum, mods and devs and reaper generally centred in respecting users enough to let them talk freely without censure, like the respect users to pay without crippling the software.

Anyway this is not a reaper specific discussion - maybe we should take it to the Lou... Oh.

Last edited by BenK-msx; 02-07-2020 at 09:05 AM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:08 AM   #50
tls11823

Quote:
Anyway I doubt it's a coincidence that on 'not Impeached day', a mod with a tendency to think orange man bad, and with prior declarations of wanting to shut down the lounge cos politics talk distresses them, decided that 9months of election chat was too much to handle.
Yeah, I'm sure that's it.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:11 AM   #51
BenK-msx

Sarcasm rating?

Would lounge have been shut down the day the first POTUS was removed from office via Impeachment? Big news
And talking point

What do you think?
Old 02-07-2020, 09:57 AM   #52
tls11823

Quote:
What do you think?
I think there may be some things in life that aren't tied to political nonsense and conspiracy theories. But you do you.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:57 AM   #53
karbomusic

@BenK-msx

I'll participate in this once and only once...

I think you are now in the entirely wrong subforum for such convos - and likely a matter of time before such threads get locked and or people refusing to stop suddenly no longer being able to post - not my call, but my expectation of the future.

That said and this is my personal opinion as well... this is a music forum for a DAW and my IMHO suggestion is to stay within that realm.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:12 AM   #54
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I had asked (no reply) years back if it could be moved to general discussion, tips and tricks or similar - I don't think it was denied, I just don't think they saw my request and I didn't push - regardless I'm not sure it would be that out of line to ask that it be moved out, or create a new one ("The 2020 DIY Electronics Thread"), so long as we include reaper in the mix (which we often did in the other thread). At least worth discussing me thinks - I had also wanted it moved because it is unsearchable with google due to the PWD requirement - with ~2.5k posts, it was a nightmare to find old posts sometimes.

Had it not been for that thread, there would be a lot of stuff, I simply would not know and could not do today. I also hope it doesn't get deleted, I used it as my primary documentation of project builds for 5 years and I don't feel like writing code to scrape it!
I think I posted in the Lounge maybe 3 times and just recently. Felt unproductive... I never saw your DIY electronics thread. That would be a great thing to have around here!
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:26 AM   #55
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
I never saw your DIY electronics thread. That would be a great thing to have around here!
Yea, wish we could get it back out with just under 3k posts: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=133420
Old 02-07-2020, 11:00 AM   #56
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Boke, if you're lucky.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:01 PM   #57
clepsydrae

Quote:
I'm not sure it would be that out of line to ask that it be moved out, or create a new one ("The 2020 DIY Electronics Thread"), so long as we include reaper in the mix (which we often did in the other thread).
I'd pile on that request for sure. It's tangential but not unrelated to reaper.

Quote:
Here are the .html files (one per page)... didn't have the patience to figure out how to scrape the images as well... maybe these will be useful as a starting place for that for someone.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:26 PM   #58
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
I'd pile on that request for sure. It's tangential but not unrelated to reaper.

Here are the .html files (one per page)... didn't have the patience to figure out how to scrape the images as well... maybe these will be useful as a starting place for that for someone.
Thanks for that, I grabbed! I probably have some old code here somewhere from when I found a site with thousands of schematics, which meant loading the DOM, finding every link with PDF and downloading - turned out to be like 15GB but worth the effort - could probably modify for this but well be some time before I could get to it to modify, walk the threads and download images which would probably be a bit of a pain to accomplish without losing where the images should go in the thread post download.

Remotely possible though to take what you have, and I just scrape the images and match the img src.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:34 PM   #59
Glennbo

When you don't see political shit, it no longer exists!

Well, until it is found to still exist and surprises you later coz you weren't cognizant of reality.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:48 PM   #60
clepsydrae

Quote:
Remotely possible though to take what you have, and I just scrape the images and match the img src.
Yeah i was imagining parsing through to find image URLs inside the posts, downloading them, then modifying the .html to point to the local file...

Edit: though of course sometimes it's img urls and sometimes the images are inserted other ways (CSS, etc).

I looked around for scraping software and there seem to be a lot but not a lot of free stuff and I didn't see anything obviously easy to use...
Old 02-07-2020, 01:12 PM   #61
CrimsonFlak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Lounge was all paid crisis actors anyway
Quote:
Its 9 months to election, the shills who occupied the lounge need to be sent to other parts of the internet... you know... ones with more than 7 people... is that the number that kept being repeated?

The prophecy is coming to light, the closing of the lounge says 2nd term.

Also, the prophecy stays crunchy in milk.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #62
RokkD

Glad to see the lounge threads still intact via my cp. Lotta good speeches in there over the years from all sides. Thought for a minute they'd been 'ripped up'.

Quote:
It's been far busier and fractious years back.

It existed fine for ever.
The Obama years.. expected to be followed by "We came we saw he died haa haa"

-
Old 02-07-2020, 01:41 PM   #63
Jae.Thomas

theres no reason non-political stuff thats tangential can't go in gendis
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:44 PM   #64
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
theres no reason non-political stuff thats tangential can't go in gendis
I noticed that the "and life" tag was (recently?) removed from the General Discussion forum description. (Unless that was on the "spam trap" one and I'm misremembering, although that forum seems to be gone now too...)

Edit: as of last March 9th ", and life." was still there. As of this Feb 2 it was gone.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:54 PM   #65
karbomusic

I agree with JBM and because a thread with 2900+ posts, civil, respectful and academic from beginning to end is likely no harm, not to mention academic as it is. I always thought it could have been twice that many threads if it weren't hidden from public view.

So, maybe let's wait a few days, the weekend, whathaveyou and if the mods don't ask us not to (hint), and/or don't move the other one out for us (hint hint) maybe we can test the waters with a new one -emphasis on being respectful to the idea of course. It may be better to just start a new one for various reasons though.

It also probably would have remained more music related had I not gone on my IoT binge LOL oops Then again some of that was music realated... tempometer, midi controllers etc.

Last edited by karbomusic; 02-07-2020 at 02:01 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:04 PM   #66
clepsydrae

Quote:
maybe we can test the waters with a new one -emphasis on being respectful to the idea of course. It may be better to just start a new one for various reasons though.
I'm in. One li'l basically-on-topic thread can't do any harm.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:08 PM   #67
karbomusic

Thumbs up - I'll wait few days to give the mods time to put their blessing or kibosh on the idea. I'm sure they'll see this thread. Will also check my backlog for something to post in it.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:02 PM   #68
Judders

Quote:
Sarcasm rating?

Would lounge have been shut down the day the first POTUS was removed from office via Impeachment? Big news
And talking point

What do you think?
Honestly, I think that is silly.

My guess would be that Justin and Schwa don't look at the lounge, and don't care what's happening there, as long as it's not illegal (which is why I think I may have killed it by bringing that to their attention). Kenny popped in from time to time to lay down the law or stir the pot, but was always open about the fact he thought it shouldn't exist in the first place.

Even if we were to entertain your conspiracy theory, the senate vote was a foregone conclusion so your postulation does not seem credible to me, to say the least.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:06 PM   #69
Jae.Thomas

so much yikes in this thread.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:07 PM   #70
Jae.Thomas

I think a general discussion for audio/music would be good, and a lounge replacement that disallows political-centered topics would be good too.

we don't need politics here.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:17 PM   #71
toleolu

^^ JBM, your profile says you're from Northeastern Pa. If that's correct, where abouts?

My family's a bunch of coal crackers from the Pottsville St. Clair area.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:23 PM   #72
jinotsuh

Quote:
Honestly, I think that is silly.

My guess would be that Justin and Schwa don't look at the lounge, . . .

Even if we were to entertain your conspiracy theory, the senate vote was a foregone conclusion so your postulation does not seem credible to me, to say the least.
If the theory were correct, just imagine what will happen when Mr Trump inevitably wins a second term? , it's going to happen. I almost wish I lived in the US so I could vote for him, best thing since George Dubya, both an absolute hoot!!!
jinotsuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:26 PM   #73
Judders

And lockdown in 3, 2, 1...
Old 02-07-2020, 03:36 PM   #74
RokkD

Quote:
this is a music forum for a DAW and my IMHO suggestion is to stay within that realm.
Where musicians and song writers gather and who traditionally write songs about society, including warfare waged with soft spoken eloquence and class, religion, oppression, sex, drugs and rock n roll, and politicians with softer gentler machine gun hands.

You should join an embroidery forum, all good clean fun... is that what your song is about in your avatar pic... stitch-ups and yarns ?

-

Last edited by RokkD; 02-11-2020 at 07:48 AM.
RokkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:54 PM   #75
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokkD View Post
Where musicians and song writers gather and who traditionally write songs about society, including warfare with soft spoken eloquence and class, religion, oppression, sex, drugs and rock n roll, and politicians with softer gentler machine gun hands.

You should join an embroidery forum, all good clean fun... is that what your song is about in your avatar pic... stitch-ups and yarns ?

-
No-one is stopping you from sharing your political music.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:59 PM   #76
karbomusic

Quote:
And lockdown in 3, 2, 1...
I noticed they put a sign up at the zoo about feeding the bears, just sayin'
Old 02-07-2020, 04:00 PM   #77
Judders

Quote:
I noticed they put a sign up at the zoo about feeding the bears, just sayin'
Heh
Old 02-07-2020, 04:08 PM   #78
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Yea, wish we could get it back out with just under 3k posts: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=133420
Don't understand what you mean .... it's in GD .. your own link takes you there!
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:09 PM   #79
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Don't understand what you mean .... it's in GD .. your own link takes you there!
I don't now how I missed that my friend. Thank you, really, you just made my day and week.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:10 PM   #80
clepsydrae

Nice, thanks. Can't wait to post more questions about overheating LEDs. :-)