Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-22-2021, 11:53 AM   #1
MixR
Human being with feelings

Default Dude, where are my shortcuts? Long time Mac user going PC

I am a long time Mac user trying out a PC based setup with my new travel rig. So far I have spent insane amounts of time setting everything up and installing software and plug-ins. Now my biggest problem is the fact that for all my Mac Reaper shortcuts using Option there is no Reaper equivalent. Reaper maps option to WIN but unfortunately that key is not available for shortcuts on Windows. Would love to know if there is a possible workaround (don't think there is)
MixR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:33 PM   #2
Held

The option key is also called 'alt' on most Mac keyboards. There's an Alt key on Windows keyboards. Have you tried using that?
Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 02:59 PM   #3
MixR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held View Post
The option key is also called 'alt' on most Mac keyboards. There's an Alt key on Windows keyboards. Have you tried using that?
Reaper maps the key bindings thus:
  1. Command [Mac] to CTRL[Windows]
  2. Option [Mac] to ALT [Windows]
  3. CTRL [Mac] to WIN [PC]
3. is the problematic one:WIN is tied into the OS and cannot be assigned to anything other than system shortcuts. The result is that a load of my shortcuts no longer work - even though Reaper shows them correctly mapped to the WIN key. The question is whether I can somehow override Windows' bindings but I don't see how.

Essentially, on the PC I am down one modifier key I have been using for years on the Mac. On top of that my Mac keyboard has 19 F-keys which I am using, too.

Maybe it is time for me to embrace Reaper as the PC program it is and start again with keyboard shortcuts. At the moment though I have mapped the keys on Windows to my Mac keyboard in a way that allows me to carry on using my muscle memory - even though that may be counter productive in the long run.
Old 06-22-2021, 03:46 PM   #4
Held

Right, I was wondering about that because you said option mapped to Win which is strange.

In that case, I don't have an answer for you since I'm using Linux and can use the Win key which is call "Logo" here
Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:15 AM   #5
MixR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held View Post
Right, I was wondering about that because you said option mapped to Win which is strange.

In that case, I don't have an answer for you since I'm using Linux and can use the Win key which is call "Logo" here
Thank you for trying to help. I wish I could have a Linux system for audio. I started moving to Debian during lockdown for anything but music and I am loving it. Alas, with DAWs and plug-ins it's a chicken and egg situation and impossible for me to consider moving.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:54 AM   #6
EpicSounds

it is so hard to go from Mac keyboard to windows and not constantly hit the Win key by accident.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:09 AM   #7
MixR

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
it is so hard to go from Mac keyboard to windows and not constantly hit the Win key by accident.
Yeah...I have mapped the Windows keys to correspond to the layout of my Mac keyboard so that most of my shortcuts stay the same. That means WIN is now where Mac Ctrl is.

It's fine and at least I now have my 19 F-Keys working (never sen a PC keyboard with more than 12). But...this is a band aid I think. I am undecided whether to keep it this way or bite the bullet and go fully PC. I actually quite like the WIN key and what it does on Windows.