Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 05-08-2023, 02:53 AM   #1
ChristophGlibber
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper ARM version crashing with some non-ARM plugins

Posting this in the MacOS category hoping there is a setting I am missing, but possibly a bugreport.

I'm running the Reaper ARM version on a Macbook pro M1. I use a couple of plugins a lot that are not yet M1 native (Arousor LT, Lindell 902 de-esser, and Neural DSP Nolly).
If I add the plugins (in VST3 format) to an FX chain they usually load fine (takes a bit longer to load than native plugins but no worries). However, if I drag a chain with one or more non-native plugins from one track onto another (command drag in arrangement view), I almost always get the beachball and I have to force-quit Reaper. It's confusing because the (bridged) plugins load fine sometimes, but crash Reaper in other situations.
Because of this issue, I keep switching between Rossetta mode on and off (most plugins run better in ARM mode), but the crashing is just such a buzzkill.
Is there any setting I am missing that would prevent these crashes? Or am I stuck on Rosetta mode until all plugins are updated?

Thanks in advance for any feedback/tips.

P.S.: Some of these plugins work without crashing if I use their AU versions (ex. arousor lt), for others there is no difference with the VST3 versions. I'd also like to stick to using the VST3 versions for futureproofing/comptatibility reasons.

Last edited by ChristophGlibber; 05-08-2023 at 03:10 AM.
ChristophGlibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 02:46 PM   #2
mlprod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophGlibber View Post
Posting this in the MacOS category hoping there is a setting I am missing, but possibly a bugreport.

I'm running the Reaper ARM version on a Macbook pro M1. I use a couple of plugins a lot that are not yet M1 native (Arousor LT, Lindell 902 de-esser, and Neural DSP Nolly).
If I add the plugins (in VST3 format) to an FX chain they usually load fine (takes a bit longer to load than native plugins but no worries). However, if I drag a chain with one or more non-native plugins from one track onto another (command drag in arrangement view), I almost always get the beachball and I have to force-quit Reaper. It's confusing because the (bridged) plugins load fine sometimes, but crash Reaper in other situations.
Because of this issue, I keep switching between Rossetta mode on and off (most plugins run better in ARM mode), but the crashing is just such a buzzkill.
Is there any setting I am missing that would prevent these crashes? Or am I stuck on Rosetta mode until all plugins are updated?

Thanks in advance for any feedback/tips.

P.S.: Some of these plugins work without crashing if I use their AU versions (ex. arousor lt), for others there is no difference with the VST3 versions. I'd also like to stick to using the VST3 versions for futureproofing/comptatibility reasons.
I recognise this from when Soothe was still not native. I think you have to live with it until they get updated. Or just use other plugins for now.
Old 05-10-2023, 12:15 AM   #3
ChristophGlibber

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was afraid of I guess, but I'll be more patient.

I've been reading about running specific plugins as dedicated processes. I'm gonna try that with these plugins this week. To see if it will prevent the entire reaper projects from crashing.
ChristophGlibber is offline   Reply With Quote