Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 02-21-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
jopatius
Human being with feelings

Default A recording done with just the mic cable, without a mic

I have too much noise in my signal path. While examining the causes for it, I confronted a strange phenomenon:

I plug the mic cable to the mic preamp, but do not connect a mic to the cable. Then I turn the amplification in my mic preamp up as far as it goes.
Then I tap the end of the cable (the female-end of the XLR cable) with my index finger, rather gently. It sounds like this when recording it in Reaper:

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/802291/cabletest.mp3

I can hear my finger tapping the cable very clearly!

Different cables behave differently, some I need to tap quite hard in order to hear anything. It does not seem to matter if I tap the very end of the cable, or the metal surrounding the end of the cable.

Did I just invent "poor man's ultra-fast cable tester" or what is this phenomenon? Can I say that "the less there is tapping noise, the better quality the cable is"?

(OK I have some reverb in this recording too :-) but don't let it distract you)
jopatius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
toyhouse

Funny you'd bring that up.
I have one cheaper guitar cable that I'm sometimes forced to use. It's a noisey thing.

If I step on it I can clearly hear it. lol.
When I pick it up to move it I can hear many sounds, not just the one you describe. The gain is very high of course.
Could I shout at it and hear myself? I wouldn't be supprised. Lol.
So yes, I've heard the effect before many times.

You can hear your fingernail plinking against the glass of a preamplifier tube in a highgain circuit too.
In that case, the filiments vibrate and act like a mic.
As for the cable;
I guess we're generating a current by squeezing the atoms in the cable? And generating a current.
Similar to piezo element? Can't imagine what else it'd be.
A good test for bad cables? Maybe? Not sure.

Jim P.

Last edited by toyhouse; 02-21-2010 at 08:31 AM.
toyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
Captain Damage

Someone smarter than me may correct me, but as I understand it it's not a piezo effect, but rather an capacitance effect (not that I understand it much further than that). As it was explained to me, that's why more expensive low-capacitance cables are worth the extra money. I've had cheap guitar cables that did this (including lot of diy cables), but my Mogami cables do not.
Captain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
toyhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Damage View Post
Someone smarter than me may correct me, but as I understand it it's not a piezo effect, but rather an capacitance effect (not that I understand it much further than that). As it was explained to me, that's why more expensive low-capacitance cables are worth the extra money. I've had cheap guitar cables that did this (including lot of diy cables), but my Mogami cables do not.
Ahh, yes, - I've heard that too now that you've jogged my memory.
Perhaps the insulator of the center conductor is a cheap vinyl-type plastic that charges up...or stores charges rather than insulating like it should? The better cable using more exotic materials for those parts?

Funny, if it was a piezo effect like I was thinking, you probably wouldn't be able to move the cable at all without "explosive" efx. LOL.

Jim P.

toyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
Staccato

Invalid test, the balanced nature of the cable requires it to be terminated at both ends. Opening one end of the cable defeats the circuits ability to achieve it's "CMRR": common mode rejection ratio, whereas signals/currents induced into the circuit are cancelled due to their relative phase.