Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-27-2014, 12:49 PM   #201
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoJag View Post
Hi ! I just bought REAPER Power! off Amazon and downloaded it to my Kindle. I started reading it and realized I didn't get the sample projects that come on the CD. Would it be possible for me to get these to download ? I'm a newbie and need all the practice I can get. I have used a Cubase LE DAW, but it seemed to quickly overwhelm the capabilities of my computer and left me very frustrated. REAPER seems to be much better at using computer resources. TIA.
Please send me a PM with your email and I will send you a link. Thanks!
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:20 AM   #202
johnteddy
Human being with feelings

Glad I found this place ive been doing things the hard way. Just ordered my copy of recording for beginners and im looking forward to it. Cheers! John.
johnteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:11 AM   #203
KeithC

Happy I found this thread. The thread was started in 2009, so I'm wondering if it has been revised? Is it still available at Barnes & Noble? Coming from a good deal of analog experience, but fairly computer illiterate, is this a good starting place for me to learn the basics of I/O, Routing, and the plethora of menu selections in Reaper? And lastly, does it go into the way the PC, and DAW link, communicate, and help with setting your file locations, folders, and subfolders in the most logical, and productive way? I mainly have issues understanding the computer aspects, and initial setup, as well as routing inside Reaper, so that I have the correct inputs from my interface, and through, then out of the DAW.

THANKS, KeithC
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #204
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithC View Post
Happy I found this thread. The thread was started in 2009, so I'm wondering if it has been revised? Is it still available at Barnes & Noble? Coming from a good deal of analog experience, but fairly computer illiterate, is this a good starting place for me to learn the basics of I/O, Routing, and the plethora of menu selections in Reaper? And lastly, does it go into the way the PC, and DAW link, communicate, and help with setting your file locations, folders, and subfolders in the most logical, and productive way? I mainly have issues understanding the computer aspects, and initial setup, as well as routing inside Reaper, so that I have the correct inputs from my interface, and through, then out of the DAW.

THANKS, KeithC
Hi Keith,

This book isn't to teach everything about REAPER in depth but is written to teach complete beginners to DAWs more than enough to get meaningfully going and grow in confidence. Yoi can tread more abiout it including customer eviews at amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Home-Recording.../dp/1598638815
Old 10-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #205
Glyn

Great.. Got the book and am reading through first. I'm not new to recording as i've used the old teac 4 track cassette based then a Korg D8 now a Boss BR1600. Therefore a lot seems quite self explanatory. Would love to get into computer based recording though, and in this respect I'm definitely in the Newbie category! As the book's been around for a while now is the disc still relevant and updateable after the 30 days? I am using an iMac (from about 2009 I think) There seems to be an awful lot of trouble with this type of recording if the unending number of forums are to be believed and this is tending to put me off. Surely there are recommendations as to which hardware is best, even on a budget? The last thing anyone wants is to spend money on an interface etc and end up with endless latency problems. I would love any feedback that could recommend a decent interface etc that will avoid latency and the like to start with. The type of recording I will mostly be doing is with Vocals, backing vocals, drums, guitar, bass and Korg N364 keyboard either as it is or as a midi controller.Just the basics really although will no doubt expand in the future.
Glyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:33 AM   #206
G6millars

Default Welcome Quote

Hi guys , How are you all , I'm new in this community i'd like if i get a lots of information that can increase my knowledge !
G6millars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:01 AM   #207
PigPenofsoftware

Nicholas-

I just bought the Kindle version and the lack of examples to follow is leaving me lost.

Prior postings suggested sending you a PM for a link.
Being a new forum subscriber I don't seem to have that capability yet.

Is the offer for a link still open?

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2015, 01:00 PM   #208
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigPenofsoftware View Post
Nicholas-

Prior postings suggested sending you a PM for a link.
Being a new forum subscriber I don't seem to have that capability yet.

Is the offer for a link still open?

Thanks!
Yes, and yes you can send me a PM. Follow this link here, then click on Contact Info, then Send Private Message.

http://forum.cockos.com/member.php?u=2831

If you send me your email I will send you a link.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:05 PM   #209
PigPenofsoftware

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Yes, and yes you can send me a PM. Follow this link here, then click on Contact Info, then Send Private Message.

http://forum.cockos.com/member.php?u=2831

If you send me your email I will send you a link.
Thank you but that does not offer me an option because I have too few postings. (Which is why I posted rather than PM'd to start with. It's an anti-spammer measure most forums use.)

But it appears I can receive a PM? Not sure if I can reply to it or not. Send me a PM and I'll reply with my email if I can.

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2015, 02:08 PM   #210
nicholas
Scribe

Done!
Old 03-18-2015, 02:34 PM   #211
PigPenofsoftware

And replied.

Thank you very much!
Old 06-15-2015, 05:19 AM   #212
mikeduvall

Default Requesting link for Home Recording for Beginners sample file

I'm reading "Home Recording for Beginners" through my subscription to Safari Books Online.

Can I get the link for sample files as well?
mikeduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:23 AM   #213
nicholas
Scribe

Hi Mike, Please check your private messages.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:09 AM   #214
Jondis68

Default The Book

Greetings!

I'm new to the community and new to home recording. 25 years ago I spent quite a bit of time in recording studios (analog) and then spent several years as a live audio engineer (again, analog) after a 20 year plus absence from the music industry I'm preparing to get back into things from a home studio perspective. I've completely missed out on the digital audio revolution and in my initial research have become overwhelmed with the shear volume of products, processes and opinions. I keep finding my way to Reaper and I just found this thread regarding the book for beginners. I've already ordered it from Amazon and should receive it in about a week. I did notice that the book was initially offered several years ago and Reaper has been updated several times since the books initial publication. However, I'm going to assume that the book will still be relevant as it should be quite basic and although Reaper has seen many changes and advances..... My hope is that the basic architecture is still close enough for the book to be helpful.

Please let me know of any changes that may cause confusion for me from book to current reaper version.

And thank you for your efforts on providing information and a helpful community for those of us who need it most!

Jon
Jondis68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:25 AM   #215
nicholas
Scribe

Hi Jon and thanks for posting. Welcome!

You're right that REAPER has advanced considerably since that book was written, but for the most part the basic concepts and features that are covered by that book are pretty much the same. From memory, I think you'll find that most actual differences are fairly minor or cosmetic and most likely you'll be able to figure them out.

That said, if you come across any issues where you encounter problems, don't be afraid to post in this forum ... that's what it's here for!
Old 07-13-2015, 09:34 AM   #216
Jondis68

Default Thanks Nicholas

Looking forward to digesting all of your offerings! I may be a few decades removed from the technology..... But my ears are still pretty good!

Back in the old days, in terms of signal routing, our motto was; "For every Goes-inny there must be a Goes-outty." It seems that the pathways are still similar..... Just less a few hundred patch cables! :-)

Cheers!
Old 07-13-2015, 11:05 AM   #217
nicholas
Scribe

My own background is not dissimilar from yours ... my first experiences of digital audio were terrifying (pre Reaper!). Take it nice and slowly. When you get to a road block (we all do at some stage), don't pull your hair out! Ask for help.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:01 PM   #218
Jondis68

Quote:
My own background is not dissimilar from yours ... my first experiences of digital audio were terrifying (pre Reaper!). Take it nice and slowly. When you get to a road block (we all do at some stage), don't pull your hair out! Ask for help.
Nicholas, Is there a linkable / downloadable location to get the sample files? Book came today... But without going into a long, convoluded story.... I can not use the disc provided to get those files.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:07 PM   #219
nicholas
Scribe

Yes, there is a link but I don't have it on me right now. If you PM me with your email address I'll send it to you when I get home later today.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:20 PM   #220
Jondis68

Quote:
Yes, there is a link but I don't have it on me right now. If you PM me with your email address I'll send it to you when I get home later today.
Done! and Thank you!

Jon
Old 07-17-2015, 08:23 AM   #221
matonanjin

Default Up and Running: A REAPER User Guide ?

So is "Up and Running: A REAPER User Guide" now the book I need to learn Reaper? I have "Home Recording for Beginners" and started with it a couple years ago. But then got away from it for a while (back issues). Now that I am back at it "Home Recording" doesn't seem to follow ver. 4.n.
matonanjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:59 AM   #222
Janelizperry

Default Reaper for Mac?

Thanks for the info about your book. Just wondering, does it go through a step by step process for those who use a Mac? I'm just about to give up on Reaper, as I simply can't get the basics...such as downloading Lame so I can translate my .wav into MP3s. I know, from all the many youtube videos I've watched that Reaper's great, but I really can't get past the first base. Am about to give up and move on to something that is a bit more user friendly and makes more sense to someone who is completely new. No doubt, there is some small setting somewhere, that I just don't know about, that would make all the difference in the world. That would be a great thing actually - having some sort of document that tells you exactly what settings you need to record audio on a Mac using Reaper and Lame. I look at Preferences in Options...and I just don't know. Anyway, I'm at my wits end. If you have info for Reaper on Mac, then there still might be hope.

Thanks!
J
Janelizperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:02 AM   #223
viscofisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelizperry View Post
Thanks for the info about your book. Just wondering, does it go through a step by step process for those who use a Mac? I'm just about to give up on Reaper, as I simply can't get the basics...such as downloading Lame so I can translate my .wav into MP3s. I know, from all the many youtube videos I've watched that Reaper's great, but I really can't get past the first base. Am about to give up and move on to something that is a bit more user friendly and makes more sense to someone who is completely new. No doubt, there is some small setting somewhere, that I just don't know about, that would make all the difference in the world. That would be a great thing actually - having some sort of document that tells you exactly what settings you need to record audio on a Mac using Reaper and Lame. I look at Preferences in Options...and I just don't know. Anyway, I'm at my wits end. If you have info for Reaper on Mac, then there still might be hope.

Thanks!
J
Hi - sorry to hear you're having trouble with this - things do get easier after an initial learning curve

I noticed that you only have 2 posts, and your other one is in the OSX forum on the same problem.

Did Ollie's instructions not work out?
That is - did you get Lame installed......or are you having problems downloading it to the correct folder?

If you're still having the same problem. maybe you should have posted a follow up on the same thread, as you're more likely to get your problem resolved if you follow it up where those who replied can see it.

Otherwise, you should probably create a new thread in "newbieland" and I'm sure you'll get help to download Lame and install it.

Lots of people are using macs and Reaper Forums are generally very helpful - so your problem isn't insurmountable.

So I'd post back on your own thread you started in OSX forum, or start a new one here in newbieland.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get it resolved with a bit of persistance, and sorry I can't help....I'm a windows user.

p.s. - Maybe also make your question clearer - are you having problems setting up your mac for recording?

Just so you know - Lame has no part in the process or problems with recording.

Any problems you have recording come first......so you should ask for help to set up recording on a mac.....otherwise people might look at your question and avoid it because it involves different (confused) aspects.

So get help from a mac user on setting up for recording first, either in newbieland or OSX forum.

Lame is only used to convert recordings to MP3 once they are finished.....so setting up Lame on a mac is a separate question.

Good luck.

Last edited by viscofisy; 08-05-2015 at 09:13 AM.
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:03 AM   #224
matonanjin

Default It is frustrating!

It IS frustrating. I agree. I was shocked when I saw a message in this forum. I thought maybe it was an answer to my question, but no luck.

I can't answer your question about the book because, as you saw, I've got the other one. I still don't know if "Up and Running" is the book we need. We may never know! There are lots of training videos here and on YT.

There is also "Reaper User Guide". Have you downloaded it? It's here: http://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php

It's 400+ pages! One can purchase a printed, bound one and I have been meaning to do that but just haven't yet.

Good luck!
matonanjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:42 PM   #225
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelizperry View Post
Thanks for the info about your book. Just wondering, does it go through a step by step process for those who use a Mac? I'm just about to give up on Reaper, as I simply can't get the basics...such as downloading Lame so I can translate my .wav into MP3s.
Thanks!
J
From memory, I think this was written before the Mac version of REAPER was developed. However, this should help you with LAME and Mac:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xhPLv6Gq_w

Last edited by nicholas; 08-05-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:44 PM   #226
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by matonanjin View Post
So is "Up and Running: A REAPER User Guide" now the book I need to learn Reaper? I have "Home Recording for Beginners" and started with it a couple years ago. But then got away from it for a while (back issues). Now that I am back at it "Home Recording" doesn't seem to follow ver. 4.n.
You can download a free PDF of this book here, and judge for yourself:
http://reaper.fm/userguide.php

If you find it helps, yopu can then purchase a hard copy here:
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperbac...-guide/1295509
Old 08-11-2015, 07:08 AM   #227
Janelizperry

Default Thanks!

Hello Nicholas and Viscofisy!

Thanks so much for your response to my post. Viscofisy, good suggestion about going back to my original post, to which Ollie kindly responded. However, I've still not followed it up with him, because...well, I guess I'm feeling a little idiotic not being able to get going with this, and just didn't want to bug him! I've thankfully found a sound engineer who can take me through a few steps, which will no doubt help me diagnose my error, and get me one step closer to Reaper heaven!

In the meantime, Nicholas, I shall have a look at the Youtube link you kindly posted - you never know! Really appreciate the feedback!

Cheers!
JP
Janelizperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:36 AM   #228
togggof

Default with reaper software included??

sorry did i read correctly the cd is with reaper software included??
togggof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:43 AM   #229
nicholas
Scribe

the cd that comes with the hard copy of the book (not ebook or pdf) includes an earlier evaluation copy of reaper it does NOT include a reaper license.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:48 AM   #230
StringSounds

Default Am Interested

This sounds like something I would be interested in. Would I be able to use it on my laptop without having to be hooked up to the internet? My WIFI access is a little limited and it would be nice if I could do most of the work and studying offline!
StringSounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:54 AM   #231
StringSounds

Default Using your CD book version of Reaper

Would I be able to overwrite my current Reaper evaluation version I have on my laptop, or even leave them both on at the same time?
Old 07-20-2019, 03:02 PM   #232
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringSounds View Post
This sounds like something I would be interested in. Would I be able to use it on my laptop without having to be hooked up to the internet? My WIFI access is a little limited and it would be nice if I could do most of the work and studying offline!
Yes you could, it doesn't need to be on-line.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:11 AM   #233
BobbyS

Is this book no longer offered?
BobbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:59 PM   #234
StringSounds

Quote:
Yes you could, it doesn't need to be on-line.
Great. Hopefully will be getting started with it soon.

Oh, This is confusing. I didn't realize it was no longer available.

Last edited by StringSounds; 07-24-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:34 PM   #235
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyS View Post
Is this book no longer offered?
Unfortunately the publishers, Cengage, went into administration several tears ago and are now operating ina restructured "slimmed down" format. Most of their oruginal titles (including this) are no longer available.

However, you might be able to get a second hand copy from somewhere like Abe Books:

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo...srp1-_-title27