Old 10-29-2015, 08:18 AM   #1
shurt
Human being with feelings

Default Best plug in for creating drums from sample library

Hi,

Been using Reaper for a while now and generally use loops or samples pasted into the session (time consuming) for my drum tracks.

What I'd love to be able to do is play basic drum parts on my midi controller and then change the snare/kick/hats sound by scrolling through a list - my samples aren't sorted into folders of snare, kick etc but it's something I'm planning on doing. I'd love to have a system that allowed me to do this in Reaper.

Another separate question is could I do this an the drums be automatically quantized to account for any mistakes in my playing?

I'm pretty new to midi having just got the 2 octave Arturia hybrid synth which can also be used as a controller. It took me a while to get this working so would love some suggestions as to how I can get this drum set up going.

Oh, and I'm on a Mac btw
shurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:45 AM   #2
DarkStar

A1)
CWITec's TX16Wx - cheaper, more features, multiple instruments at one itme

or discoDSP's Bliss - newer, simpler, in beta at the moment, shows a lot of promise.

Traditionally, for changing, say, a snare sound, you could:
-- load several different snares, each onr mapped to a different MIDI trigger note
-- load one snare, then if you do not like it replace it by another,
-- load one snare and use the software's controls to change the sound, apply internal effects etc

A2) Yes

Details are in the User Guide
Old 10-29-2015, 02:02 PM   #3
foxAsteria

Haven't tested extensively yet, but this one seems very slick too: http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2015...-sampler-free/
Old 10-29-2015, 02:38 PM   #4
shurt

Thank you both so much for your replies. I'll have a look into both and report back. I've already downloaded TX16W so that'll be my first port of call...
Old 10-29-2015, 03:40 PM   #5
shurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Haven't tested extensively yet, but this one seems very slick too: http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2015...-sampler-free/
Seems this is Windows only...
Old 10-29-2015, 03:56 PM   #6
shurt

Ok I'm posting like a lunatic here BUT am playing around with the TX16Wx and there is a lot of cool stuff on it. Slicing up drum loops and mapping on the keyboard is a good example.

The dream (for me) is that I can audition sounds quickly from within the plugin before I decide to substitute them into the midi note e.g. changing snares. I know I can do this through finder or the media player in Reaper (alt+cmd+X) but its starting to get a bit messy with various windows open etc.

Any TX16Wx users out there who know how to do this? Dragging a new sound onto an exisiting one doesn't get rid of it. It's still there underneath.

I'd really like to get a system where I'm not constantly getting stopped by the technology when I'm writing. Its a reason why I resisted writing on a computer for so long - too many distractions/plug ins etc.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:09 PM   #7
DarkStar

You can audition them in the Browser (or set it to Auto-play.

Or, try out "Preview mode" (5.2 in the TX16Wx User Guide)

Quote:
5.2 Preview mode
The rightmost button In the file browser toolbar is the preview toggle. When active, selecting files in the file browser will temporarily load them into the last selected applicable sound object.

Sound objects that can be previewed are waves, wave matrices and program files. Waves and matrices can be loaded into splits, waves into matrix cells and programs into program slots.

To work with preview, select the sound item you want to modify, for example a split. Activate preview and pick a wave file in the browser. The file will be loaded and temporarily replace the currently mapped sound. Re-selecting the split, selecting another split or editing any range parameter will reset the split into its original state.

If you are satisfied with the previewed sound, double click the sound file to load it permanently. The split will be re-mapped with the new sample.

I navigate the Browser with Up/Down arrow keys and play the notes from my keyboard (at the moment if I click the piano roll keyboard the split is reset to the original sample).

Last edited by DarkStar; 10-29-2015 at 04:44 PM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:36 PM   #8
shurt

Hey thanks that's just brilliant, pretty much exactly what I need. Will know after I've tried doing some recording with it.

And yes, I have now downloaded the manual (hangs head in shame)