Old 09-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
semiquaver
Human being with feelings

Default trouble accessing ReaEq mid-bands from OSC

Hey all - setting up a touchosc layout to control Reaeq

fxeq/loshelf/gain

works great...

but fxeq/band/@/gain doesn't work for me: I have tried fxeq/band/2/gain and likewise 0 or 1

any idea how to get the mid bands on reaeq to move?
semiquaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:55 AM   #2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiquaver View Post
Hey all - setting up a touchosc layout to control Reaeq

fxeq/loshelf/gain

works great...

but fxeq/band/@/gain doesn't work for me: I have tried fxeq/band/2/gain and likewise 0 or 1

any idea how to get the mid bands on reaeq to move?
Yeah, I don't much like the OSC action definitions for ReaEQ either - I think they're bloated, exactly because they don't work for any 'band' type. The action you're referring to ONLY works for the "Band" type; As soon as you switch to another type, such as "Low Shelf" or "Notch", you have to use a different action definition, such as:

fxeq/loshelf/gain

fxeq/notch/gain

The number in the @ wildcard does not refer to ReaEQ's 'tab' number; if you'd use more than one EQ 'band' of the same type, then you can use this to distinguish between them.

Btw, as far as ReaEQ goes, there is no such a thing as a "mid" band: you can use any tab / band across the entire frequency range.

(I've complained about this in the OSC FR/bug reports thread too, btw.)
Old 09-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
semiquaver

thx banned.

but my problem is that I have touchosc sending fxeq/band/2/gain to a default reaEQ instance and the band doesn't respond! I assume the command targets the band at tab 2? does it work for you?

I tried changing the message to a geneeric /mydummy/ on both sides and that didn't work either... wondering if the command is broken....

tia
Old 09-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
Banned

Quote:
[...] but my problem is that I have touchosc sending fxeq/band/2/gain to a default reaEQ instance and the band doesn't respond! I assume the command targets the band at tab 2? does it work for you? [...]
I'm not at my music computer atm, so I can't check - but in general, no, the OSC specs for ReaEQ don't 'work' for me at all, insofar as I really don't want to use them they way they are designed currently. I would suggest (1) moving the knobs on the GUI and staring at the OSC output from REAPER, and/or (2) just using the 'regular', generic fxparam stuff.

For the longer term, we should probably have an in-depth discussion on how we'd ideally like to see REAPER's OSC specs further developed.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
semiquaver

OK I fiddled further and it looks to me as though the FX_EQ_BAND_GAIN only works on a single band - the default suggests that you can target different bands via the @ wildcard: fxeq/band/@/gain but I could not get this to work at all - when I commented out that pattern and just put in fxeq/band/gain I got control of a single band.

its a pretty clumsy way of controlling reaeq for sure...

just dipping my toe in the water I am really impressed by the possibilities of OSC and I'd love to see a *real* implementation !
Old 09-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
Banned

Quote:
OK I fiddled further and it looks to me as though the FX_EQ_BAND_GAIN only works on a single band - the default suggests that you can target different bands via the @ wildcard: fxeq/band/@/gain but I could not get this to work at all - when I commented out that pattern and just put in fxeq/band/gain I got control of a single band.

its a pretty clumsy way of controlling reaeq for sure...

just dipping my toe in the water I am really impressed by the possibilities of OSC and I'd love to see a *real* implementation !
Well, we do have a real implementation already. But with regard to the ReaEQ-specific OSC action descriptions in specific, I definitely agree it is quite clumsy. To help designing a better implementation, can you perhaps describe what would you expect from a 'real' implementation?