Old 04-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
Seventh
Human being with feelings

Default Default MIDI note velocity

Is there a way to change the default velocity of drawn notes?

It's really frustrating to have to adjust each new note separately, when I want to create a bunch of notes with 127 velocity for example.
Seventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
gofer
-blänk-

Only sort of:

You can pre-determine the velocity of note input by clicking on a piano key. 127 is far to the right and easy to get, but it's not really useful if you want any particular other value.

The velocity is also determined by the selected note's velocity, so you can input the first note of your bunch, change it to the desired velocity, (re-)select it and then input the other notes you wanted to create. This works ok-ish when you already have a bunch of notes with your favorite velocities existing in the piano roll. Just click on one that fits before you input the next one.
But: Note length default will also change to the selected note, so if you input with pre-determined length (as opposed to "Insert note, drag to extend") this might be not working out for you.

I'd probably just input them all, select the bunch and change the velocity of all of them in one go (no need to do them separately).
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
msore

Default copy existing phrases

One thing I do - after similar frustration - is to create a PHRASE that is going to be typical of the section, and then I move the phrase farther and farther to the right as I put in notes going left to right. When I want a pair (like a strong downbeat note followed by a weak short upbeat note), I select that pair from my PHRASE, and then CNTL-click-drag to drag a copy to the desired position. It works well to with triplets, and with alternating up-down-hard-soft bass notes.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
gofer
-blänk-

I try to train myself to use the mouse modifier "Insert note, drag to change velocity", but with not much success - I miss the ability to drag the note length when using that one (I almost always use "Insert note, drag to extend or change pitch" for mouse note input). I would so love to have a mouse modifier that combines them, so a vertical drag would change velocity and a horizontal drag changes the length.

Or the ability change the mouse modifier on the fly (without re-clicking), so I could switch from "drag to extend" to "drag to edit velocity" and back in the same drawing movement. That would be even better.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
DarkStar

From way back
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
eXT1 does it nicely:

to insert a note - Alt+click or double-click
- - by default, the note will be inserted with the same length and velocity as the last note inserted or selected, but you can turn either or both of these options off
- - if Snap is on, the note is entered at the Grid Snap position preceding the click position, and can be changed by an integral number of snap lengths. If Snap is Off, the note is entered at the click position and can be changed to any length.

- - before you release the last mouse click, you can change the note's attributes:
to set the note length - drag horizontally while keeping Alt held
to set the note velocity - drag vertically, while keeping Alt held
Old 04-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
Seventh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
You can pre-determine the velocity of note input by clicking on a piano key. 127 is far to the right and easy to get, but it's not really useful if you want any particular other value.
This works for me, thanks!
Seventh is offline   Reply With Quote