COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 12-24-2010, 12:21 AM   #1
IceRegent
Human being with feelings

Default Confusion in running client

I have some problems here. I set up a server on one of my computers, and am running it. Now, I have the client on another computer. However, there is no instructions on how to run it.It all appears to be in an uncompiled C++ format. How are you supposed to run the client?

IceRegent
IceRegent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:22 AM   #2
pljones

There are executables for Windows, Mac and Linux. If you've downloaded the source, you'll need to compile it first.
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
AndyMc

What OS you on, Windows, Linuz or OS2?
AndyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
IceRegent

Default Found the executable

Ok, thanks, I found the correct program. I had the uncompiled version unzipped, and went and found the correct one and installed it. I was able to get the server and the client running. I can run it on my own network, but, now I am wondering, does anyone have any experience running a server on their own network and how do I have anyone else connect up to my server? I have a router with 5 different computers on the network.

How do you have an outside client connect up to your server inside of your network? I am running a windows server.

IceRegent
Old 12-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
IceRegent

Default One problem encountered on a laptop

I have been trying to get more than one client connected up to the server to get experience with how it works. I have the server running right now, and another computer has connected up to it successfully. Now, I am trying to get the laptop connected up. It is a WinVista home edition on the laptop. The other client connected right now is on WinVista Enterprise.

The issue I am encountering on the laptop, the message when I try to connect, is:

Error creating session directory!

I have set the preferences to point to a valid directory, so this cannot be the problem. I am confused as to what is the problem.

IceRegent
Old 12-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
pljones

I'd guess it's a permissions problem if Home is OK and Enterprise isn't. Try picking somewhere you don't need Admin auth to access.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
IceRegent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pljones View Post
I'd guess it's a permissions problem if Home is OK and Enterprise isn't. Try picking somewhere you don't need Admin auth to access.
Actually, it is the other way around...Enterprise is ok and Home is not. However, I tried it on another computer running WinXP Home, and that connected up, however, when the metronome starts going, it only gets the very first click, then the window doesn't show any more movement, it just shows the progress bar at the bottom stationary on the first click, and says it is loading or transferring, whatever that message is when its connected and loading data.All of the other functions are still working, I can move the sliders etc, so the program is not frozen, just the transferring of data seems to stop. But as I said, it does connect, and I see it show up in the server and on my client in the other computer that has successfully been running.

Ice
Old 12-25-2010, 08:16 AM   #8
pljones

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceRegent View Post
however, when the metronome starts going, it only gets the very first click, then the window doesn't show any more movement
I think that's a sound driver problem. I've had that when I forget I've got another program accessing the same device ninjam wants.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #9
IceRegent

Default Problem with client echoing back received data

Ok, I have been working on understanding using the server and client. I am having another particular problem, with each client echoing back into the system, what is received from the other clients via the server. I got my laptop working on the system, which is running Vista Home, by choosing to 'run the client as administrator', and have been working with it. I run the server on a stand alone computer, and run one client on my Vista Enterprise Desktop, and the second client on the Laptop. I input an audio source into the sound card input, and it is transmitted to the server, and I can hear the audio a measure later on the laptop. However, it is also echoing back the audio to the server, which is then coming back to the Desktop.At least, that appears to be what is happening.Has anyone else encountered this situation, with hearing the primary signal, and then hearing the delayed signal as well? It is very disconcerting.

IceRegent
Old 12-26-2010, 02:09 AM   #10
pljones

That sounds like the laptop (the "remote client") has an open mic picking up what its speakers are sounding. This is why I always tell users to wear headphones and isolate any mics carefully. You must eliminate any possibility of feeding back the signal you're receiving.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:12 AM   #11
IceRegent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pljones View Post
That sounds like the laptop (the "remote client") has an open mic picking up what its speakers are sounding. This is why I always tell users to wear headphones and isolate any mics carefully. You must eliminate any possibility of feeding back the signal you're receiving.
Ok, I just ran an experiment, as well as used headphones. No, it happens on both machines. I ran the Desktop client, and there is an echo feedback about a half a second or so plus or minus later. I went to the Laptop, and when I turn up the volume on the local channel that is transmitting, the echo is there on the laptop as well, and gets worse as you turn it up, and appears to be regenerative feedback. I then disconnected the Laptop from the server, and came back to the Desktop, and the echo is still there, and if I turn the local channel volume up, it gets worse as well. There is no mic to feedback on.

So it has to be some sort of a loop-back that is happening on all the clients I use.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:04 AM   #12
pljones

There must be something wrong in your local sound configuration to cause that, outside NINJAM. You'll need to find someone to help you set your computer up properly for sound.