Old 03-27-2009, 03:02 AM   #1
antiClick
Human being with feelings

Default A good mastering house?

I'm just finishing some mixes I'v been working on during last month.
Music is some type of Alternative Rock.

I'll hopefully send it to a mastering house, but since I know none I'd like to hear some suggestions based on your experience.

I'v been also thinking on promoting a mastering poll in the forum, plus publishing the entire projects in the forum. That should be very educational since we will be able to compare our mastering work versus the commercial one.
Please let me know what you think.

thanks in advance!

Last edited by antiClick; 03-27-2009 at 03:06 AM.
antiClick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:19 AM   #2
airon

digido.com

Box Katz. They do online transfers, as I'm sure most other reputable mastering studios do.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:09 AM   #3
Fingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiClick View Post
I'v been also thinking on promoting a mastering poll in the forum, plus publishing the entire projects in the forum. That should be very educational since we will be able to compare our mastering work versus the commercial one.
that would be great!
Fingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
antiClick

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
digido.com

Box Katz. They do online transfers, as I'm sure most other reputable mastering studios do.

Maybe some place without that big name, or somebody you had excellent experience with. I don't think I can pày the huge bill

thanks in advance
Old 03-31-2009, 07:21 PM   #5
illacov

Quote:
Maybe some place without that big name, or somebody you had excellent experience with. I don't think I can pày the huge bill

thanks in advance
http://www.Soundbitesdog.com

They mastered my 16 track album for 500 USD.

FTP upload, multiple recalls allowed. Shipped to you on Gold DVD, plus they give you mp3s during the whole project. They take half up front and half when completed.

They've got a big client list, some grammy nominations under their belt. All analog outboard, good ears. Very good place.

I use them for everything. They definitely made my lofi album sound awesome. We've won awards for it as well as gotten some radio play internationally (BBC). I always get major cred for the album since I engineered it but they head mastering engineer (Hans Dekline) is the reason that my good work sounded great.

Definitely worth the free master they offer.

Peace
Illumination
illacov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:55 AM   #6
Fingle

hey antiClick!

could you maybe post one of your mixes here?

I'd like to master it just for fun/study if you don't mind.
Fingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:07 PM   #7
antiClick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingle View Post
hey antiClick!

could you maybe post one of your mixes here?

I'd like to master it just for fun/study if you don't mind.

Hi! Im currently trying to register the songs.
Please hold on for a couple of weeks... or send me a private message with your email ;D

Thnks man!

Regards
Old 04-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #8
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Andrew Davenport, Enforcer on the forums, does most of my stuff
Old 04-05-2009, 12:44 AM   #9
Enforcer{EMC}

Default Pro Mastering

hi
I am the guy that does Pipeline’s and many other people mastering here. Edge worth studios has done 264 albums so far. We are very reasonable for reaper people 30 US a song for albums lots.

www.edgeworthstudios.com drop me a line normal turn around is usually 3-4 days depending on the studios work load. Transfer via ftp ill provide the login and pass word for you 30 down and 8 meg up ftp its fast enough for anything type of digital audio/ bit rate.

We use a combination of analog and digital gear with gain that warm fat analog sound with. Email me for a full CV, qualifications, and bands worked with etc.

All the reaper guys know me as Enforcer{EMC}

look forward to hearing from you
Kind regards
Andy
Enforcer{EMC} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #10
nprime

http://www.sunbreakmusic.com/

Quality work at reasonable prices.
nprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #11
psingman

HI, I stumbled onto this thread while spending a night out of the studio. I am recording a double CD, called RoCross, that I would like to have mastered, around 24 songs. It is Christian hard rock, with a few ballads, just thought I would define the genre as a lot of people don't like to work in that domain.

So, I would like to connect with Enforcer but he lives faraway and I live in upstate NY. Is there anyone else hear that uses Reaper ( which is what my tracks would be recorded in) and wants to maybe mix some and master some tracks for me. It won't be ready for awhile but I could send the psongs in as they get recorded, OK? Well, get back to me in this thread, or message me at psongman@yahoo.com. Thanks for listening, hope someone can assist me, Derrick
psingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:17 PM   #12
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by psingman View Post
HI, I stumbled onto this thread while spending a night out of the studio. I am recording a double CD, called RoCross, that I would like to have mastered, around 24 songs. It is Christian hard rock, with a few ballads, just thought I would define the genre as a lot of people don't like to work in that domain.

So, I would like to connect with Enforcer but he lives faraway and I live in upstate NY. Is there anyone else hear that uses Reaper ( which is what my tracks would be recorded in) and wants to maybe mix some and master some tracks for me. It won't be ready for awhile but I could send the psongs in as they get recorded, OK? Well, get back to me in this thread, or message me at psongman@yahoo.com. Thanks for listening, hope someone can assist me, Derrick
Separate the two.

I'm probably happy to mix it, but wouldnt dream of mastering it. Working with Andrew in the mastering process is easy for me. I either catch him on chat or messenger, and since shup especially, we just back and forth if there are any issues.

Many is the time he's saved a mix by having me change something on my end. Back in the day you had the dat at the mastering lab and thats it, done you live with what you got. But with our two way communication its quick and easy.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #13
antiClick

Thanks to everybody for your kind responses.

Quote:
It won't be ready for awhile but I could send the psongs in as they get recorded, OK?
Your actual DAW has nothing to do with the mastering house. If your mix is finished, you just render it and send the wav file to the mastering house.

Kind regards!
Old 04-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #14
psingman

Hi, one thing I was trying to convey in my reply, was, isn't it important to send the tracks or master track in using Reaper. I know it can be mastered in various forms, but since we are using Reaper to record, seems like it makes sense to send the whole mix in via a Reaper project file. Can this be done, or are we just talking mastering, here? psingman
psingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:43 AM   #15
jamesp

Quote:
Hi, one thing I was trying to convey in my reply, was, isn't it important to send the tracks or master track in using Reaper.
Most mastering engineers would prefer to receive a stereo mix or possibly a number of stereo mixes rather than a complete session file. If you really aren't sure of your mix then send your best mix attempt then a couple of other mixes - one with vocal or lead instrument up a little and one with vocal or lead down a little.

Another alternative is to send sub-mixes with, say, the rhythm section as one track, melodic instruments as another track and vocals as a third. When mixed together at unity gain these sub-mixes should sound the same as a normal mix.

Cheers

James.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:44 AM   #16
phonofranz

Quote:
Music is some type of Alternative Rock.
Quote:
...we will be able to compare our mastering work versus the commercial one.
Hi!

I'm working mostly with your genre, both recording/mixing on my own and mastering fellow engineers' mixes for a living. I've got no fancy external gear, doing it mostly inside Reaper.

If you manage to upload a couple of songs somewhere, I would like to give it a try and send you back a sample of what I would do. For details PM me.

Cheers!