Old 09-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
Gunpoint Guitar
Human being with feelings

Default Missing ASIO Drivers?

I've been using Reaper off and on for quite some time in deciding what my main DAW will be and I really enjoy the program. I've used it for the last month or so in working on demos for an EP we're about to record, and now today I can't open my ASIO drivers for my POD HD500. I was using it without issue with this device and a TASCAM US-1800 recently without issue, even recorded some yesterday with the POD, but today when I opened up my project it says "No ASIO driver found!"

-I Uninstalled my drivers, deleted all the unused instances from Device Manager, removed the US-1800 drivers, removed ASIO4All; reinstalled Line 6 drivers, restarted computer and still not showing up

-I uninstalled and re-installed Reaper, still not showing up

-Reinstalled ASIO4All; that doesn't show up either

I am still on the "Evaluation License" with Reaper, but as I understand this does not limit functionality. I was actually about to buy a license this week, and this crap is happening.

TL;DR-Reaper can't recognize any ASIO drivers and I've tried everything I can think of. Studio One Artist and Cubase LE both recognize the drivers with the device in any port, the POD works fine with the MAC in the other room with the same cord...so now what?
Gunpoint Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
Gunpoint Guitar

Default No ASIO Driver Found!

Just updated today and now I can't "see" any of my ASIO drivers in the audio configuration settings.
I already posted in the general forum here http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=127872
Old 09-03-2013, 02:50 AM   #3
Anton9

Just a shot in the dark, but.., shut down REAPER then try doing a search for reaper.ini on your computer and delete any instances that you find then restart REAPER.
Anton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:01 AM   #4
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

You can also try 'Start Menu->Programs->Reaper->Reaper (reset configuration data to factory defaults)' to reset REAPER (reinstalling doesn't do that). Are you still getting audio with the Windows drivers (WDM/DirectSound/Waveout)?
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:42 AM   #5
Gunpoint Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
You can also try 'Start Menu->Programs->Reaper->Reaper (reset configuration data to factory defaults)' to reset REAPER (reinstalling doesn't do that). Are you still getting audio with the Windows drivers (WDM/DirectSound/Waveout)?
Yep, I tried that one. . . . Deleted the only single instance of "reaper.ini" search could find.....still not working...Thanks for trying!
Old 09-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
Ollie

So are the Windows drivers working?

What's your operating system and REAPER version (32 or 64 bit?)?

What's your mainboard make/model?
Old 09-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
Gunpoint Guitar

Quote:
So are the Windows drivers working?

What's your operating system and REAPER version (32 or 64 bit?)?

What's your mainboard make/model?
All of the usual Windows stuff shows up, but it obviously doesn't work with the POD. ASIO4All doesn't even show up. I just downloaded the newest 32-bit version of Reaper yesterday after this hang-up started with 4.3x.

Reaper Version: 4.51

Mainboard info in attached image
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (30.5 KB, 557 views)
Old 09-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
Gunpoint Guitar

any other solutions, tips, tricks anyone can think of....this is super frustrating!

EDIT: is there somewhere else I should be looking for assistance here?

Last edited by Gunpoint Guitar; 09-04-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #9
Ollie

I'm sorry, not sure what to advise here. I asked for the mainboard right away because the only other case I can remember where REAPER miraculously and persistently refused to recognize audio hardware turned out to be (believe it or not) an empty mainboard battery at the end.

Try to "barebone" your setup, removing devices and ASIO4ALL and making sure one remaining audio device is still functioning properly in other apps using the ASIO driver. Then reboot your computer and check if REAPER still can't see that driver.

If REAPER can't "see" hardware, it's usually because some other application is hogging the device, please make sure not even a web browser is running when you start REAPER and make sure it's the first application you start after a reboot.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #10
Gunpoint Guitar

Quote:
I'm sorry, not sure what to advise here. I asked for the mainboard right away because the only other case I can remember where REAPER miraculously and persistently refused to recognize audio hardware turned out to be (believe it or not) an empty mainboard battery at the end.

Try to "barebone" your setup, removing devices and ASIO4ALL and making sure one remaining audio device is still functioning properly in other apps using the ASIO driver. Then reboot your computer and check if REAPER still can't see that driver.

If REAPER can't "see" hardware, it's usually because some other application is hogging the device, please make sure not even a web browser is running when you start REAPER and make sure it's the first application you start after a reboot.
I've done this several times over the last 3-4 days. I really appreciate all the advice, but I'm not a noob to my system or to PC recording, so all of the usual stuff (reinstall, reboot, remove excess programs, etc) has been tried. I even opened everything up in safe mode and it still wasn't working. I don't want to have to abandon Reaper here, but I have a demo project that needs finishing ASAP and I don't really have any more days to wait on this issue. I may end-up just dumping Reaper and upgrading my Studio One from Artist to Pro so I can finish....
Old 09-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #11
darthmorphling

I just had this same problem with my PodXTl. I used to use Asio4all and then the drivers disappeared. Used line6 Monkey to update the line6 drivers. It worked. For a few days. It got to the point that I had to do this at every reboot. The Pod stopped working completely and I finally ordered a new interface.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:08 AM   #12
Gunpoint Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthmorphling View Post
I just had this same problem with my PodXTl. I used to use Asio4all and then the drivers disappeared. Used line6 Monkey to update the line6 drivers. It worked. For a few days. It got to the point that I had to do this at every reboot. The Pod stopped working completely and I finally ordered a new interface.
so you were able to use the XTL in other audio programs with the L6 drivers, but not Reaper? This really seems like a Reaper-only problem as any other audio device on my PC has no problem using ASIO drivers from any of my devices....

EDIT: Just got an e-mail from Cockos and they suggested disabled Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth in the MIDI panel...gonna try when I get home!

Last edited by Gunpoint Guitar; 09-06-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #13
darthmorphling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpoint Guitar View Post
so you were able to use the XTL in other audio programs with the L6 drivers, but not Reaper? This really seems like a Reaper-only problem as any other audio device on my PC has no problem using ASIO drivers from any of my devices....

EDIT: Just got an e-mail from Cockos and they suggested disabled Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth in the MIDI panel...gonna try when I get home!
No it wouldn't work for anything until I ran line6 monkey and did the driver install. It was simply the Pod dying. I have had it for a long time and I don't think it was meant to be on 24/7 like I had it for the past two years.

Have a Komplete Audio 6 in the mail.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #14
Gunpoint Guitar

so the Wavetable Synth thing was not applicable, it was already disabled...gonna try to uninstall/reinstall everything again, then I'm going to a different DAW.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #15
darthmorphling

Quote:
so the Wavetable Synth thing was not applicable, it was already disabled...gonna try to uninstall/reinstall everything again, then I'm going to a different DAW.
Make sure to delete a of Reapers folders before reinstalling. You could also try doing a portable install into a different location. Tha way if it is a corrupted file the portable install won't use that. Worth a try as I doubt it is a Reaper thing.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #16
Gunpoint Guitar

Even if its "hanging" on some old install file, I would still consider that a Reaper thing....I've tried everything...completely wiped reaper and folders from HDD and registry, reinstalled, reinstalled "portable", reinstalled to different location, reinstalled to different partition, portable install to thumb drive....multiple install/uninstall/clean from registry/reinstall on drivers...I think its time to move on.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #17
Ollie

Quote:
Even if its "hanging" on some old install file,
It's probably not. Once you did the "reset configuration files" no old device entry should remain, and particularly not when you deleted the entire resource folder anyway.

Quote:
I would still consider that a Reaper thing....
That may look like that but I mentioned that dead mainboard battery example for a reason, here's the entire thread:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=69087

Sorry, it's a bit lengthy but it's full of troubleshooting clues before it turned out to be something quite unexpected and your issue seems to have lots in common with that one.

First off, that only REAPER can't see interfaces anymore no matter what you've tried obviously happens very rarely. Normal "REAPER can't see my device" threads are ususally fixed when going through the usual troubleshooting options. There's only that one case where someone made an odd experience like you and it was surprisingly fixed after changing the mainboard battery.

Your mainboard may have reached a typical age for dying MB batteries as well, even though it's a different mainboard (but they both could have some components in common) and the issue could be caused by something completely different in your case, the evidence probably warrants grabbing to it as a straw. Because...

Quote:
I've tried everything...completely wiped reaper and folders from HDD and registry, reinstalled, reinstalled "portable", reinstalled to different location, reinstalled to different partition, portable install to thumb drive....multiple install/uninstall/clean from registry/reinstall on drivers...I think its time to move on.
If you've tried everything, your options are "try everything again", "try what you didn't try yet" and of course "moving on". The latter is sure an option but in case that again REAPER indicates an upcoming problem with some hardware first, it would be worth checking that thoroughly since you may notice odd things in the other hosts as well, sooner or later.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #18
Gunpoint Guitar

I'll look into the battery issue, but why would it only affect Reaper (seems like a program bug if its the only program affected)

EDIT: Replaced battery even though it appeared to be fine (my clock still works even when not connected to internet, etc.) restarted, uninstalled, reinstalled...still not working, the drivers are just invisible to Reaper for some reason all of the sudden and it makes absolutely no sense. Maybe once I get this project done I'll have a whole day to re-install Windows and see what happens.

Last edited by Gunpoint Guitar; 09-10-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #19
Gunpoint Guitar

Default still not working

So I still haven't been able to do a complete system re-install, but I have wiped every audio program and driver (including media players), reinstalled, repartitioned, reinstalled, and still I can't get ASIO recognition in Reaper.....I'll try again when I update my PC in a month or so, but this has been a real deal breaker for me.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #20
bdog57

Same exact problem. Line 6 Toneport. Kind of wondering whether Line 6 hasn't screwed something up here.
bdog57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #21
Gunpoint Guitar

could be...not sure why it only affects Reaper for me, though....it is certainly frustrating, and this forum, Line 6, or cockos directly hasn't found a way to do anything about it. For now I'm tracking in Studio One and bouncing out stems to mix in reaper with my stock sound card, cause I like the interface better...sure would be nice to just record in Reaper, though.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #22
spk77

I have had "Error initializing ASIO driver" problem very often (WinXP 32bit SP3, Line 6 GuitarPort). Usually Reaper "recognizes" the Guitar Port ASIO driver when I close Reaper -> unplug the USB cable -> plug it back to USB port -> restart Reaper. Sometimes I have to reinstall the driver if the cable is for example plugged into another USB port.
spk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #23
spk77

This is how I reinstall the driver:

spk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #24
Gunpoint Guitar

familiar with that job....I've tried every configuration of unplugging, uninstalling, installing, rolling back drivers, using older versions of Reaper (like two years older!). At one point I uninstalled every single piece of software that had do with audio or video, then just installed reaper and Line 6 ASIO drivers......and I got nothing!
Old 11-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #25
Gunpoint Guitar

Update: Did a full, fresh install of my OS (Windows XP SP2) and everything is working just fine now.
Shouldn't have to wipe my HDD and reinstall my OS to get a program to see a driver.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #26
ivansc

Depends a lot on what was already on there and what you my have picked up in the meantime.
Microsoft installed an automatic update to the driver for my onboard video a few years back and it killed off ALL video.
That one had me scratching my head for a bit.

Glad you got it sorted out!
And you HAVE mirrored your nice new install havnet you?
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #27
TimOBrien

Quote:
Shouldn't have to wipe my HDD and reinstall my OS to get a program to see a driver.
All it takes is a minor corruption in a jillion driver files (or files the drivers are pointed to) to cause a problem. Sometimes a full wipe and rebuild IS the best solution...
Old 11-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #28
Gunpoint Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Depends a lot on what was already on there and what you my have picked up in the meantime.
Microsoft installed an automatic update to the driver for my onboard video a few years back and it killed off ALL video.
That one had me scratching my head for a bit.

Glad you got it sorted out!
And you HAVE mirrored your nice new install havnet you?
Guess I'm not familiar with what you mean "mirrored"....I'm migrating over to a new laptop in a week or so, and I finished my recent EP project with Studio One, so this is just kind of an interim for catching ideas now.

I gotta start just saving everything off of my hard disk so if I do need to wipe/install its only programs I need to re-do.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #29
cvanrusky

Default same problem with Zoom R24

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=131275

Still no answer as to why or how to fix.

Is it a problem with the most updated version of Reaper?
cvanrusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:58 AM   #30
Ronypony

Default ASIO driver failure

Hi
I'm a new user of Reaper and was beginning to pull my hair out with ASIO driver issues.
I use Reaper with a Zoom R16 running on win 7 64bit machine ..and everything was just fine until I suddenly had an ASIO driver issue...Reaper wouldn't recognise the R16 ASIO drivers for some inexplicable reason.I spent hours deleting and reinstalling drivers, Reaper program etc..all to no avail.
I am exceedingly grateful to OLLIE (senior moderator) who gave me the solution...and it was so easy.

In another post Ollie had suggested to another user to reset Reaper to its factory defaults...this is not done when you simply reinstall the entire program...doing this FIXED my ASIO driver issues with the Zoom R16...hurray...I'm a happy bunny..thank you so much for posting that suggestion Ollie...your a star !

To reset Reaper configuration to factory default do this as Ollie suggested

Start ... all programs....Reaper...click on Reaper(x64)...choose 'reset configuration to factory defaults'
Ronypony is offline   Reply With Quote