Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 10-13-2021, 06:25 AM   #1
leescratchy
Human being with feelings

Default create several MIDI channels for the same VSTi

Guys, simple things are never easy in REAPER for me sadly

I want to create 4 MIDI tracks with different channel# for one single VSTi instance, I've read that you can just move a new MIDI track under a VSTi main MIDI track and it shall become its child......fair enough, works! But then all names of the tracks disappear on the top left side of the tracks, is that a feature lol?

Here's what I get:https://images4.imagebam.com/68/31/fe/ME498ZD_o.png

Is there any simple way to do what I want please? With tracks names and all
leescratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 06:27 AM   #2
leescratchy

Oops nevermind, had to increase the size of the left window duh, very intuitive lol

Humm I don't like this "child" story coz I have to keep the parent MIDI channel enabled to hear the children, how can I make it work as intended please?

Last edited by leescratchy; 10-13-2021 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:35 AM   #3
leescratchy

OK I get it, I'm better off leaving the parent track empty and only make children then but it's annoying that I get separate tracks for midi and audio as it ends up cluttering my mixer, nice thing about going single track is that same track combines both...any way to work this out please?
Old 10-20-2021, 02:24 PM   #4
leescratchy

That's enough annoyance for one man, I'm moving to ABLETON where my MIDIMIX will be PNP at that
Old 10-20-2021, 02:39 PM   #5
DarkStar

1 Open the FX chain window, select the VSTi, click [Options] then select (Build 16 channels of MIDI ...". Delete the 12 that you do not want.

2A Re the separate MIDI and audio tracks. you can hide the ones you do not want using the Track Manager (I hide the "audio" tracks in the Arranger and the "MIDI" tracks in the Mixer).

2B You can route the audio back to the "MIDI" track by Allowing feedback routing in the Project Settings, But you run the risk of audio feedback and loud volumes and lose any PDC.

And my Akai MIDIMix works perfectly here, either as a Control Surface or a plain old MIDI controller.
Old 10-20-2021, 05:09 PM   #6
leescratchy

OK thanks a lot, I'll look into it

Fact is that I wanna use MIDIMIX exactly like in this video with 3 sendfx and fx return on the last "MASTER" slider and that seems like rocket science in Reaper when it's actually PNP in Ableton: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Roh_J2EsQ

I've found some neat sliders for MIDIMIX BTW: https://images4.imagebam.com/20/73/90/ME4FN3C_o.jpg

Can't deny that piano roll in Reaper is quite a train wreck for me, Ableton & FL look so much more convenient with ghost notes & name of the notes tagged on top left corner of them

Some claim that Ableton is designed for EDM and Reaper for live music, I make DUB IDM and everything appears like a struggle in Reaper