Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 03-31-2021, 10:52 AM   #1
reborn579
Human being with feelings

Default Checkout my entry into the Metapop Absynth Interstellar Competition

i know i posted a song in this category just recently, but i promise i won't advertise a new song every day

that being said, here's my entry into the metapop absynth interstellar competition (that is a very long title :P). it's a very ambiental and experimental piece which doesn't attempt to blow people away, but just be an homage to my favorite synth.
let me know what you think

https://metapop.com/mihaildoman/trac...etition/180469
reborn579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:57 PM   #2
eq1

Nice vibe, atmosphere.

To my ear, there's a kind of incongruity between the orchestration and the progression, where orchestration says one thing, progression says another. For instance, the organ-like sound and a couple of the chord changes say 'epic' nearing last 3rd/end, yet to my sensibility the progression never really builds up to that.

I'd prefer that clicky, rhythmic 1/16th note sound to be much drier, not so much reverb, same with the bassy material. Not sure if that's only a personal preference or if there's some deeper rationale to it. In general, the melodic material is ethereal and has a lot of reverb, kind of creates the space/atmosphere on its own. When there's that much reverb on the 'clicky' sound, it tends to draw attention away from the melodic/harmonic material and the atmosphere it creates... When there's that much reverb on the bassy stuff, it tends to muddy the atmosphere and obscure the bass itself... I would have preferred the bass to stand out a bit more, to be more intelligible...

I don't think more clarity on those elements would detract from the overall washed-out, primordial vibe, yet at the same time, I think it would give the piece more oomph, power, etc...

Also, I tend to think even ambient music can benefit from a little contrast, background vs. foreground. With less reverb on clicky and bass, you'd bring those more into foreground and create contrast with the melodic/harmonic stuff and its atmosphere. This would give the mix/piece more depth (or it should/might).

Etc etc... Anyway, thanks for sharing it. I hope my comments help more than annoy.
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:28 AM   #3
reborn579

Quote:
To my ear, there's a kind of incongruity between the orchestration and the progression, where orchestration says one thing, progression says another. For instance, the organ-like sound and a couple of the chord changes say 'epic' nearing last 3rd/end, yet to my sensibility the progression never really builds up to that.
thank you so much for giving it a listen! i'm not surprised you've noticed this, because they way i made the song was a bit more detached from the harmony part, let's say. i actually took the chords and notes from a piece from my album 'humanity' and put them in this song. but i also edited them a little, but i would say quite clumsy. i usually pay attention to these things, but i just wanted to make some atmospheric and a bit well, messy

Quote:
Also, I tend to think even ambient music can benefit from a little contrast, background vs. foreground. With less reverb on clicky and bass, you'd bring those more into foreground and create contrast with the melodic/harmonic stuff and its atmosphere.
i agree. i kinda thought out the song as something in two parts, so that's why the song doesn't really have a foreground and background.

but i'm really glad you gave me such detailed feedback. i always appreciate it!
Old 04-01-2021, 12:51 PM   #4
eq1

^ ha, I'm glad you appreciate it (or at least pretend to). It's hard to tell when people post stuff whether they want 'honest' feedback or what. Personally, if I posted something I'd want people to be, just, honest, take off the kid-gloves - because I know how hard it is to be objective, stay 'centered', and all that when writing stuff, or rather, how easy it is to basically 'get lost'.

You can listen to a thing for the first time only once - I think that can be a very valuable perspective, and of course if it's one's own composition that perspective is long gone...

Anyway, good luck with the contest.
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:50 PM   #5
reborn579

oh, i do appreciate it i don't mind very honest feedback as long as it's polite and on point. and yours of course is.

and you are right, indeed: you can listen to a song for the first time only once. this has always been my greatest struggle with regards to mixing / mastering my music.

cheers!