Old 03-30-2021, 05:09 AM   #1
netphreak
Human being with feelings

Default Multiple OSC clients

I have built myself a device with ESP8266 (Arduino like micro controller with onboard WiFi) with 6 rotary encoders. It is used for headphone channel volume control, so I can adjust the volume in my headphones of guitar, vocal, drums etc. while practicing - just like using the "More Me" web interface - but I like hardware buttons over fiddling with my phone .

Works very well. Now, everyone else in my band wants one as well. My question:

Does it affect Reaper performance in a negative way having multiple "OSC Send" configurations? Let's say we end up sending OSC messages to 8 devices/IP addresses? I plan to add receive OSC as well, for visualization of channel volume levels on the clients, if this isn't a particularly bad idea...

Thanks!
netphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:36 AM   #2
EcBaPr

as far as number of clients before a bottleneck I'm not sure but a good option to lower network traffic is go to reaper .OSC config files and make a custom address list so you only transfer the necessary data for each device. if you leave the default OSC config file it will transfer every action and if you are only using volumes it would be sending loads of redundant data. I think metering is what uses most bandwidth but stuff like playback time would probably use a bit as well.. i think you can increase update frequency also to minimise traffic further with the Hz setting..
EcBaPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:01 AM   #3
netphreak

Yes, I will make really light config files, there's little data transfer needed for this. My main concern is not bandwidth - more an uncertainty due to the fact that I doubt this UDP (OSC) traffic is sent as "multicast", hence separate config files - meaning it WILL keep the system resources busy to some degree... But will it matter?

Sending OSC from Reaper is easy enough to test, just send to dummy addresses, if they're received or not shouldn't matter. But the other way requires actual clients sending OSC to Reaper. Well, I could simulate clients for testing.

Hm, the more I write, the less concerned I am Off to testing.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:24 PM   #4
mschnell

As OSC sits on UDP, it should be possible to use boadcast.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:15 PM   #5
EcBaPr

Quote:
Originally Posted by netphreak View Post

Hm, the more I write, the less concerned I am Off to testing.
yes best thing is to test.. if your band mates have tablets you could maybe use those before building controllers ?
EcBaPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:13 AM   #6
netphreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
As OSC sits on UDP, it should be possible to use boadcast.

-Michael
Yes, if Reaper would let you specify multiple clients within the same OSC configuration. But it doesn't, so it's unicast.

I did a test last night, spamming Reaper with multiple sessions (10) from my computer. I couldn't notice any resource differences on the Reaper workstation. But due to Covid regulations in Norway it's it hard to test this properly...
Old 03-31-2021, 07:25 AM   #7
mschnell

With broadcast you would not specify multiple clients, but just a broadcast address (e.g. 192.168.1.0) as a target.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 03-31-2021 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-31-2021, 01:41 PM   #8
netphreak

Alright, how would the clients pick up the OSC messages broadcasted to this address defined as target in Reaper?
Old 03-31-2021, 10:30 PM   #9
mschnell

Reagarding the transport and the OS, a broadcast is received by all clients.

It's up to the client software what to do with it. If it does not take dedicated care, it would react in the same way as if it would be dedicatedly addressed.

-Michael