Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-12-2020, 03:59 AM   #1
Softsynth
Human being with feelings

Default Pianoteq 7 now available. Substantial improvements and new features

As per title, something of a surprise release (I rather prefer it when developers keeps schtum!):
https://www.modartt.com/pianoteq
Improvements with sound quality through increased complexity of the modelling engine applied to every sound pack.
With a new ability to blend the models of any of the sound packs. Unlike sampled instruments where you can really only layer them.
Also the Steinway D pack gains New York D to go with Hamburg version for free.

On the slight cons side it would've been nice to have a completely new piano model (from a different piano company) rather than a variant on the D but it definitely sounds different.
Then again since you can now blend between all the piano models you can make your own!
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:08 AM   #2
Judders

Very reasonable upgrade price, and a noticeable improvement on the modelling. I instantly noticed more realistic sustain in the lower register and how wider union widths resonate.

I don't really care about the grand pianos, as I use it mostly for upright and marimba.

I've yet to play with the microphone modelling, but I hear that is improved as well.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:14 AM   #3
Softsynth

Yeah I haven't looked at the microphone positioning changes yet. I thought the U4 pack (the uprights piano pack for those unfamiliar with Pianoteq) sounded particularly improved in version 7.

Maybe they will consider producing some more specific models of branded uprights at some point, rather than merely generic upright sound, although it is very very good. Almost seems a bit elitist to still only model grand pianos in such refined detail, but then again they also do electrics and clavs, so perhaps that's not it?

Yes the upgrade is sensibly priced. Good to maintain brand loyalty.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:16 AM   #4
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Maybe they will consider producing some more specific models of branded uprights at some point...
That would be nice, although with the amount of tweaking you can do you can pretty much create the upright you want anyway.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:51 AM   #5
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
That would be nice, although with the amount of tweaking you can do you can pretty much create the upright you want anyway.
Indeed, it is very tweakable, more than that really, it's capable of dramatic changes denied sampling. However if they applied that logic to the Grands they wouldn't have much of a sales model!

I guess that's kind of how Pianoteq started; I came in at version 5 so it already sounded excellent across the board.
I believe the very early versions were just generic "Concert grand piano" and if I remember correctly without googling something called the "Cyber piano", which suggests a somewhat intentionally synthetic model.

Now they've got the refinement in the engine to differentiate a New York D from a Hamburg D presumably this opens the possibilities yet further for the uprights too.

Last edited by Softsynth; 11-12-2020 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:50 AM   #6
martifingers

An overview in typical Guy style here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kT_ukP-cOM
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:56 AM   #7
Twangothan

Thanks for the tip. What model do you use for rock piano tracks, even Jackson Browne style singer with piano and band stuff? I can never find a setting/model which sits well.
Twangothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 12:20 PM   #8
Softsynth

The most obvious choice is the YC5. It's an unofficial Yamaha Concert 5.

Choose a pop preset. Maybe reduce dynamics, width settings and also consider using mono.
However all of the grands and the U4 can be used, it's just down to how you set it up.
In a pop rock mix you probably want minimal dynamics, the polar opposite of a solo recording. Play with the copious microphone positions too.

With so many piano parameters and Eq options it's only user error getting in the way now. It's more than good enough for solo recordings, let alone in a dense rock mix.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:35 AM   #9
Twangothan

Quote:
The most obvious choice is the YC5. It's an unofficial Yamaha Concert 5.

Choose a pop preset. Maybe reduce dynamics, width settings and also consider using mono.
However all of the grands and the U4 can be used, it's just down to how you set it up.
In a pop rock mix you probably want minimal dynamics, the polar opposite of a solo recording. Play with the copious microphone positions too.

With so many piano parameters and Eq options it's only user error getting in the way now. It's more than good enough for solo recordings, let alone in a dense rock mix.
Yeah that's the one I use generally.
Twangothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:55 AM   #10
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twangothan View Post
Yeah that's the one I use generally.
Try all of them, and mic positions. It's trivial to flick through the pianos during Midi playback.

Also have a play with the new morphing technology. Blending the piano models to create your ideal piano sound is unique and impressive.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:00 AM   #11
Softsynth

Free piano/upgrade heads up.

Pianoteq have just improved the engine for all the acoustic pianos once again (still on version 7).
Modartt added a free upgrade to the Petrof 275 which now becomes the Petrof pack, as they have added an even larger piano the 284 Mistral.
Beyond the global improvements they have further improved the Steinway B model too.

Also you can now remove the piano lids in the microphone positioning section.

Last edited by Softsynth; 04-08-2021 at 01:08 AM.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:08 AM   #12
Judders

Quote:
Free piano/upgrade heads up.

Pianoteq have just improved the engine for all the acoustic pianos once again (still on version 7).
Modartt added a free upgrade to the Petrof 275 which now becomes the Petrof pack, as they have added an even larger piano the 284 Mistral.
Beyond the global improvements they have further improved the Steinway B model too.

Also you can now remove the piano lids in the microphone positioning section.
Thanks for the heads up!
Old 04-08-2021, 04:00 AM   #13
Softsynth

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up!
I haven't even checked the U4 yet.
Maybe you'll enjoy the ability to take the lid off?
Old 04-08-2021, 04:03 AM   #14
Judders

Quote:
I haven't even checked the U4 yet.
Maybe you'll enjoy the ability to take the lid off?
I'll definitely give it a go
Old 04-08-2021, 08:06 AM   #15
bjohn

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up!
+1! Pianoteq just keeps getting better and better. I don't use any piano sample libraries anymore, they don't sound nearly as good. I feel like some instruments aren't quite there yet in terms of realism (harp, harpischord, etc.), but the pianos are brilliant.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:45 AM   #16
Judders

The Marimba is very good as well.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:13 PM   #17
Softsynth

I like the vibes too, no upgrades on that front though, they wouldn't benefit from these latest changes anyway.

They really have improved the realism of all the pianos models again with this update.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:52 PM   #18
michaeltonight

I am a huge Pianoteq fan!
michaeltonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:19 AM   #19
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltonight View Post
I am a huge Pianoteq fan!
+1.
Nobody in the samples game would give away a new top quality piano to existing customers.