Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 03-22-2021, 11:14 AM   #41
garanimals
Human being with feelings

(PVinKC)

Looking for to seeing a video of a mix contest (after submission of course!).
Hope your move goes well.
I'll be moving 3rd week in April and will hopefully have a better studio environment then.
garanimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 03:28 PM   #42
fuzzball

I downloaded the RPP and data files for the Sailor one, loaded and listened to the first 30 seconds or so of each one. You guys really work at this. Many of them are indicative of levels of skill that I had only dreamed of thus far.

It was helpful for me to see some of the techniques that are universally used. The ones that were unique to each mix will be harder to extract lessons, but I thoroughly enjoyed browsing through them. Thanks!
fuzzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 03:37 PM   #43
garanimals

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjama View Post
FYI there was a problem on my settings for mix #13 that was causing the ending to get cut off when listening with the player. If you had opened the browser to vote previously please refresh your browser to make sure you hear the full version.
I'm assuming this doesn't affect the downloaded tracks, right?

I the download tracks in reaper as my source listening as I'm afraid my browser session is going to time out and I'll loose my notes.
Old 03-22-2021, 03:39 PM   #44
garanimals

Quote:
Originally Posted by garanimals View Post

I the download tracks in reaper as my source listening as I'm afraid my browser session is going to time out and I'll loose my notes.
I'll just compare -

I'm trying a new "blind" mixup for 2nd listens to my top picks (which there are many this time around).
Old 03-22-2021, 04:24 PM   #45
Dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVinKC View Post
Life got in the way this month. My work schedule was changed and my days off went from Sunday and Monday to Saturday and Sunday. However to get on the new schedule I got only one day off last week.

My PLAN was to mix the song and record a video for my YouTube channel. However I am upping the quality of my videos and changing my workflow has proven to be quite a challenge. Long story short...I didn't get either a video OR the song mixed.

So I didn't submit anything this month. As well we are moving soon and because of that we are spending a lot of time house hunting which leaves less time for everything. So I may not get time to vote either, my only day for me right now is Sunday, and I spent all of it yesterday trying to get my video workflow up to snuff, and falling short unfortunately.

Anyway, point is I won't have a chance to vote until Sunday. But since I'm also trying to get my video workflow sorted, the best idea and maybe my only chance of doing both may be to film a video of how I load all the tracks into Reaper and compare them, and ultimately vote and comment on them, live?!

I'll have to think a bit on this.
I mean, go for it if you want but don't feel obligated. We've got a bunch of participants this month (yay!) so there should be plenty of votes and feedback already. It always takes me a long time for me to listen to everything, assign scores, and write feedback.
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:37 AM   #46
LCM!

Ballot cast. And comments as well. Take them with a grain of salt; they are just my opinion.
Good luck.
LCM! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:29 AM   #47
darjama

Quote:
Originally Posted by garanimals View Post

It didn't affect the downloaded tracks, correct.

The notes and votes data is stored in your browser's local storage and won't expire. It gets wiped clean after you vote, or for the next's month contest.

Let's get those votes in, a day and a half to go!
darjama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 02:21 PM   #48
garanimals

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjama View Post
It didn't affect the downloaded tracks, correct.

The notes and votes data is stored in your browser's local storage and won't expire. It gets wiped clean after you vote, or for the next's month contest.

Let's get those votes in, a day and a half to go!
Thanks for the clarification darjama!

voted and noted!
Old 03-24-2021, 03:46 PM   #49
Funicello3

My votes/notes are in. Good luck everyone. I missed the mark in a big way this month.
Funicello3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:37 AM   #50
ColinJ

Rip mine apart. I know it stinks. Buried guitars were my biggest sin.

I did do a better one, though.
ColinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:01 AM   #51
darjama

Congrats to javiramallo, our March winner. I'll be reaching out to you about picking next month's song.
You can find the comments and the project files at https://reamixed.com/results

Old 03-28-2021, 01:02 AM   #52
jansen

Well done Javi! You were destined to win and you did not disappoint

Frankly I found there was serious competition this month. Special kudos to garanimals whose mix was my personal favourite, and also thanks to voter n°4 (Is that you Daryl?) for making me laugh throughout the comments.
As for my own monthly mixing lesson, I promise I will put more high end (10k) in my mix next month. I actually tried a much brighter mix initially by using the tilteq function of the sky master plugin, but it seemed a little much. I wonder what would have happened if...

Anyway, I have to admit I am getting seriously addicted to this: I have been voter n°1 for the second month in a row Looking forward to the next one!
jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:18 AM   #53
Tiny Tortoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by javiramallo View Post
I'll hope the goddes of providence bring us a good ROCK track to mix next month.
Congrats and well done Javi, it was meant to be! Great job to all of you guys up around the top.
Tiny Tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:10 PM   #54
WaveTrans

Congratulations to Javiramallo and everyone participating.

It was a rather demanding task this month, from mixing to voting.

One question please.
Some voter (#3) stated, "Your mix is at 0.1 dBFS which is out of rules..".

I did not break the rules arbitratily and would like to know how to avoid such glitches. So Could you please advise me how to do the limiting/adjustment of appropriate loudness properly?

What I did was putting on Youlean and adjusting the threshold of JS Master limiter until Youlean showed -14db on the loudest part of the song, in this case I chose and looped two lines of the chorus.

Cheers!
WaveTrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:17 PM   #55
LCM!

First time on the podium; it's an honor, especially with this company.
If anybody has the whim to take a look at my .rpp feel free to ask me whatever you want.
And thanks for the comments; it's crystal clear that the kick was way too loud, there has been consensus.

P. D. : me pregunto qué compaņero ha escrito sus comentarios en espaņol. Simplemente curiosidad.
Old 03-28-2021, 02:33 PM   #56
javiramallo

Hi.

Thanks and also congrats for everyone here because this contest, one more time, has demostrate that is an effective way to learn and skills knowledge interchange. We all did a great job.

Congratulations LCM and Grunton. Amazing mixes there, Clearly any of us could be at the top.

Of course, thank to Daryl for the effort to keep this contest alive, please don't faint ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny Tortoise View Post
Congrats and well done Javi, it was meant to be! Great job to all of you guys up around the top.
Hahaha! Thanks Tiny Tortoise. It seems so but trust me, I was not happy with that mix this month, I did not achieve the sound that I would like to get. but you know ... I stopped touch up more than I should have before messing it up. It was a wise decision.

Thanks friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCM! View Post
P. D. : me pregunto qué compaņero ha escrito sus comentarios en espaņol. Simplemente curiosidad.
Yo también tengo curiosidad. Amigo hispano hablante, manifiéstate!

About this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveTrans View Post
One question please.
Some voter (#3) stated, "Your mix is at 0.1 dBFS which is out of rules..".
The "Voter 3" also follow saying: "In any case my judgement is not taking this in account."

It is better mirror the all sentence for avoid misunderstanding, you know!

Quote:
I would like to know how to avoid such glitches. So Could you please advise me how to do the limiting/adjustment of appropriate loudness properly?
Thanks to the wonderful manner to work of this contest you'll can take a look how the rest of friends did it in their sessions.

In my name, I can tell you that in my Master, my penultimate process is as follow:

and the last process is a Master limiter.

Wavetrans, I hope this help in any way.

Cheers!
Signed: "Voter 3"

PD. I hope you like the track for the next month which promises to be quite entertaining.
javiramallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 03:19 PM   #57
garanimals

Great Job javiramallo!
Old 03-28-2021, 04:53 PM   #58
Funicello3

Congrats and great job, Javi! Also to LCM who came in only 0.03 points lower. I thought Grundton's mix was also exceptional.

Many of you accomplished a clarity in this mix that I just could not get. For sure, I'll be dissecting many of your projects looking for the answer.

Thanks Daryl, and to everyone who participated and voted/commented.
Funicello3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:13 PM   #59
REDTone Studio

As I suspected. Way too much reverb on mine, especially the vocals. This is something I always have trouble with, my room is sometimes such a cave it's hard to judge while mixing.

Great job Javi and all who entered.
REDTone Studio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 11:45 PM   #60
kavacs

Congratulations to Javiramallo and also everyone else! Looking forward to next month.
kavacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 05:16 AM   #61
germano

Congratulations to Javiramallo and LCM!.

Both did a superb mix!

I mixed with headphones (have a not reliable room acoustic) but i'm getting more and more adapted to them. I only listen to my iLoud Micro monitors at the end.

Will try to do better next month.
germano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:53 AM   #62
WaveTrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by javiramallo View Post
Hi.

Wavetrans, I hope this help in any way.

Cheers!
Signed: "Voter 3"

PD. I hope you like the track for the next month which promises to be quite entertaining.
Cheers Javiramallo a.k.a Voter #3 , didnīt mean to but forgot to adjust the limit. To be honest, I rather doubt that I would have found out by myself from going through the RPPs. So thanks again. Was rather concerned that this mistake came up time and again with my mixes; sorry if my post did not reflect that properly and sounded a bit sourly instead.

And, yes, Iīm curious whatīs up next month.
We are on lockdown again, so looking forward to it.
WaveTrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 04:34 PM   #63
darjama

Quote:
Originally Posted by jansen View Post
... and also thanks to voter n°4 (Is that you Daryl?)
nope, not me.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:50 PM   #64
Dex

Quote:
Cheers Javiramallo a.k.a Voter #3 , didnīt mean to but forgot to adjust the limit. To be honest, I rather doubt that I would have found out by myself from going through the RPPs. So thanks again. Was rather concerned that this mistake came up time and again with my mixes; sorry if my post did not reflect that properly and sounded a bit sourly instead.

And, yes, Iīm curious whatīs up next month.
We are on lockdown again, so looking forward to it.
I usually just turn the fader on the master channel down by 1 db.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:44 AM   #65
kindafishy

Question for the folks who took part in the mixing contest for March. How much time did you end up spending on this when it comes to evaluation other mixes?

Personally, when I listen to anyone's mix with the purpose to form a critique, whether someone asks me directly, or I listen to a post on this or other forums, I tend to spend about 30 minutes or so on a song. I'll listen through a couple times, think about it, write a little bit, try to listen for good stuff, for areas that might benefit from tweaks, the overall vibe, the dimension, space and openness, etc, etc, etc.

That seems like an overwhelming thing to do when considering 18 other mixes!

So, how do you guys manage your time when it comes to evaluation?
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 07:58 AM   #66
germano

1 - I put all flacs on a reaper project.

2 - Ajust the beginning of the items to synchronize them.

3 - Run the action Script: " me2beats_Auto solo for selected tracks (defer) "

4 - I can jump from track to track with a simple click and listen the same part in all of them.

Last edited by germano; 03-30-2021 at 08:26 AM.
germano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:00 AM   #67
javiramallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by germano View Post
1 - I put all flacs on a reaper project.

2 - Ajust the beginning of the items to synchronize them.

3 - Run the action Script: " me2beats_Auto solo for selected tracks (defer) "

4 - I can jump from track to track with a simple click and listen the same part in all of them.
More or less the same of Germano. The only additional step is that I normalize all the track to an common Loudness volume.
Normally to the lower one.

For that I use the action called SWS/BR Normalize Loudness.

This way all the entrances are at equal loudness..

Last edited by javiramallo; 03-30-2021 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Correcting my bad english!
javiramallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:40 AM   #68
Dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCM! View Post
First time on the podium; it's an honor, especially with this company.
If anybody has the whim to take a look at my .rpp feel free to ask me whatever you want.
And thanks for the comments; it's crystal clear that the kick was way too loud, there has been consensus.

I thought your mix was excellent. I'm the most curious about how you went about mixing the guitars - that has to do with the sound of the guitars themselves as well as how they fit with the drums and bass. When I listen to the last part of the song where the drums go to half time, your mix sounds so clear and balanced, while mine sounds like a jumbled mess by comparison. Could you say a bit about what order you did your processing and how you were thinking about things to make it all come together so well?
Old 03-30-2021, 02:40 PM   #69
LCM!

Hi Dex, glad to see your post because your mixes are usually among the ones I like the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Could you say a bit about what order you did your processing and how you were thinking about things to make it all come together so well?

First of all, I tried to set the volume and the pan of every instrument, drums, bass, voice and guitars, in this order. Later I equalized and compressed whatever needs so. Many of the decisions are kinda trial-error: moving on when I think it's fine and avoid to going back frequently. Reverb, delay, effects or automation would come in the final stages. If I keep close to the reference, the final volume shouldn't be such a great issue. I hope my answer is clear enough.