Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 07-13-2019, 05:26 PM   #1
fredmatthew25
Human being with feelings

Default What are the best digital boards for live performance with REAPER?

Hello Everyone,

My bandmate recently picked up a PreSonus Studio Live iii 16/32 channel digital board for his home studio and for us when we travel to gigs, etc.

I do all of my studio work at home with REAPER and I do not want to switch to Studio One - not even when visiting bandmate to do recording!

I have tried to get the board to talk with REAPER and I have been unable to do so. (If someone knows how - even just to get the basic transport controls working that would be helpful).

My question goes ultimately whether or not this was a good investment because I'm actually looking at how I can incorporate REAPER into our live shows - FX busses, etc.

My question is - for those who are using REAPER for live performances and also use a digital board, what do you recommend?

Many Thanks
-Fred
fredmatthew25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:58 PM   #2
mschnell

What do you mean by "live performance" ?

The control surface you mention seems more like suitable for mixing rather than "performing".

Do you want to use Reaper for mixing a stage event and feeding a PA ?

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:13 PM   #3
serr

You would need to use the control surface part of that Presonus board/interface as a separate control surface and assign it to Reaper. Not sure what hoops you might or might not need to jump through for that. It will either identify as a MIDI device or a control surface for starters. It's also possible it's not made to use as a separate control surface and this might be tricky (ie need hacking). Sorry, not looking it up right now.

The audio interface part is straightforward. Assign it to Reaper in Preferences/Audio/Device just like any other audio interface.

If you mix live in Reaper... Then you're still preferring and doing that. The digital board wouldn't be used for that in that case. The tricky part might be using that Presonus as a stand alone control surface that you can assign to a DAW app.

To answer the question "What digital boards..." more generally.
A separate audio interface + a separate control surface would be the best choice. A digital board has redundant (when mixing with a DAW) mixing ability you wouldn't want to pay for.

The Behringer/Midas X32 rack might not be a bad choice though. Decent price for just the mic pres and audio interface ability. And then you'd have the built-in digital board you could run with an iPad if you needed a separate stand-alone digital mixer from your DAW.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:47 AM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
What do you mean by "live performance" ?

The control surface you mention seems more like suitable for mixing rather than "performing".

Do you want to use Reaper for mixing a stage event and feeding a PA ?

-Michael
Mixing and/or recording a live performance.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:29 PM   #5
fredmatthew25

mschnell - Yes, it wouldn't be for performing live EDM music if that's what you mean - I have a Native Instruments S61MK2 Komplete Kontrol connected to my laptop as well as a Line 6 old school Tone Port UX2. I connect Microphone and Guitar to the UX2 and run PodFarm 2.5 as well as Komplete Kontrol through Reaper for BOTH my home studio and live settings.

Up until now, I have run my setup with the two quarter-inch outs (L&R) on the back of the UX2 to a BOSE T8SD which then runs out to the L1 towers. The PreSonus has now replaced that Bose T8SD and while I'm used to (even running our backing tracks through Reaper for live tracks ----> I do want to build backing tracks for live use that will have multiple tracks with inerserted FX where desired in songs etc. (still have to figure that one out)

So, the Presonus is also in the studio now, and I'm much more happy running the recording through the UX2 because I set up recording, edit, basically do everything A-Z in REAPER. Up until now I haven't been able to get the Presonus to identify as either an OSC Control or as a Midi Device, etc. I wondered if it was its own plugin as is Ableton, or Machine 2 - I didn't see it though and did attempt to add it as a Mackie device.

[[don't want to get too technical here and get sidetracked]]

SERR is correct when it probably needs hacking and someone talented enough and motivated enough to make it happen.

Ultimately, I can see it be BENEFICIAL to have a DIGITAL BOARD that runs Stage Production *AND* Recording for songwriters. Having such a board where I could make real-time "touch" changes on the fly without having to click around (unless there were SHORTCUTS that were customized for certain functions which I just read about people doing....) However, there is something to be said of being able to manually grab a fader.

I haven't been able to find where it is possible to have a good integration and I haven't been able to even get the transport controls to work at this point.

BACK ON SUBJECT --->

***I think for now I'm going to do everything I do with NI, Line 6, Reaper, Backing Tracks, etc., then just run it out from my laptop to two open channels on the Pre-Sonus and Mute all the FX, etc.***

Then the board will send everything out to the PA wherever we are and I will learn the basics of the Pre-Sonus board for both the *LIVE AND STUDIO* settings when I'm helping out / setting sound for the other musicians. -I'm learning the board somewhat already...

What I would like to do is control the soundboard completely from my laptop. Perhaps this is a dream ?

Ultimately, the software has controls everything, but the hardware is needed to plug everything in. Perhaps a digital mixing board was not as needed as an Audio Interface ---- perhaps that is more of what I'm wanting this board to be?

I appreciate everyone's help. Learning as I go..... Sorry for novel - if it helps someone understand my setup to help their own then it is beneficial. Peace
Old 07-14-2019, 01:47 PM   #6
fredmatthew25

SERR - Thank you for your insight. Doing some home work now
Old 07-16-2019, 07:09 AM   #7
Philbo King

Some of the newer Presonus digital consoles (like the 32C) have a HUI interfave and motorized faders, allowing them (in theory) to be used as a control surface for Reaper. I'm not positive, but I don't think the older Presonus mixers are usable as a DAW control surface.

But if you're just recording a live show you don't really need all that. Just use the Presonus as a multi-input interface into Reaper, and record each channel to a separate track. Mix later. I'd assume that during a live show you'd have enough to keep you busy just getting good FOH and stage monitor mixes, without adding a live recording mix into the soup also...
Old 07-17-2019, 02:31 PM   #8
fredmatthew25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
Some of the newer Presonus digital consoles (like the 32C) have a HUI interfave and motorized faders, allowing them (in theory) to be used as a control surface for Reaper. I'm not positive, but I don't think the older Presonus mixers are usable as a DAW control surface.

But if you're just recording a live show you don't really need all that. Just use the Presonus as a multi-input interface into Reaper, and record each channel to a separate track. Mix later. I'd assume that during a live show you'd have enough to keep you busy just getting good FOH and stage monitor mixes, without adding a live recording mix into the soup also...

Yes, exactly --- regarding the movable faders / etc. That is the integration I am looking for - primarily for the studio when I am recording through REAPER - as much integration between the board and REAPER the better. I was just wondering if I went amiss and missed a board that would have had much better integration out of the gate. I am able to get recordings right now, but I'm not able to activate it as a control surface (yet) - gonna keep trying