Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #41
ksor
Human being with feelings

The computer I'm normaly use is W7 and my physical desk is limited - so I don't want to have one more keyboard and one more mouse on the physical desktop to run the XP-computer - that's why I use "remote desktop control" from the W7- to XP-computer.

If you look through my recipe for setting up the "remote controlling" MAYBE you can get your audio/MIDI running on the W7-computer BUT because the connection between the two computers is ETHERNET I think there will be some UN-controlable delays that will invalidate this method concerning audio/MIDI.

But why not dedicate the XP-computer to run ALL of the musical HW and only do the CONTROLLING of Reaper on the XP-computer by the ethernet connection on the W7-computer ?

Then you have your W7-computer for your normal daily use and when you "play with music" you use the same keyboard/mouse but another computer - the XP-computer.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #42
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksor View Post
The computer I'm normaly use is W7 and my physical desk is limited - so I don't want to have one more keyboard and one more mouse on the physical desktop to run the XP-computer - that's why I use "remote desktop control" from the W7- to XP-computer.
Ah okay, I understand.

Quote:
If you look through my recipe for setting up the "remote controlling" MAYBE you can get your audio/MIDI running on the W7-computer BUT because the connection between the two computers is ETHERNET I think there will be some UN-controlable delays that will invalidate this method concerning audio/MIDI.
Latency, yes, always a problem.

Quote:
But why not dedicate the XP-computer to run ALL of the musical HW and only do the CONTROLLING of Reaper on the XP-computer by the ethernet connection on the W7-computer ?
Is this possible? So far the only solutions I know of is using SPP (Song Position Pointer) or MTC (Midi Time Code). If there's a way to lock them up thru ethernet that would be great. Based on several posts I've seen concerning SPP and MTC, Reaper doesn't do this very well. I haven't actually tried it yet because I haven't gotten to that postition. I also have an old SMPTE box that I used for locking up my computers to my multi track tape machines that I thought might work but don't know for sure.

Quote:
Then you have your W7-computer for your normal daily use and when you "play with music" you use the same keyboard/mouse but another computer - the XP-computer.
Actually I have 3 computers in my studio and they all have thier own desk so that's not so much a problem, they're all dedicated to music. Heh heh, I just think the day might come when I want to lock everything together. Since I'm totally retired now it might not happen. But my old clients keep poping up and you never know.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:57 AM   #43
ksor

Oh, you allready have a studio ... then you'r way longer than me !

If you have separate computers then you too have 3 keyboards and 3 mouses then you CAN spare some space by using "remote controlling" and get rid og 2 keyboards and 2 mouses - in fact I´still have two screens connected to one computer to distribute different screen layouts to each of them. You could let the programs from each computer stay on each of the three screens and with ALT + TAB keys "jump" from one computer to the next, but still user the mouse over ALL three screens.

This "locking things together" isn't that what this "WordClock" is made for ?
I noticed that the PHASE88 has this ability too but I never used it and proberly never will.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #44
Tod

Quote:
If you have separate computers then you too have 3 keyboards and 3 mouses then you CAN spare some space by using "remote controlling" and get rid og 2 keyboards and 2 mouses - in fact I´still have two screens connected to one computer to distribute different screen layouts to each of them.
Actually I'd really like to have two screens on the main computer (Win7) which is the one I'm using the most right now. I think having the two screens for two layouts would be really beneficial.

Quote:
You could let the programs from each computer stay on each of the three screens and with ALT + TAB keys "jump" from one computer to the next, but still user the mouse over ALL three screens.
At this point the computers are 10 to 12 feet apart but I suppose I could remote them.

Quote:
This "locking things together" isn't that what this "WordClock" is made for ?
I noticed that the PHASE88 has this ability too but I never used it and proberly never will.
"WordClock" is what I use to lock the Q10 soundcards together with so that I can use 2 or all 3 of them at the same time. However, that won't lock the computers together to run two different Reapers. Using a midi chord and SPP should do it if Reaper can handle it.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #45
ksor

You writes:

"At this point the computers are 10 to 12 feet apart but I suppose I could remote them. "

They HAVE to be connected with ethernet - then you can - even I can control them here from Denmark if I just new teh address !

I don't know "WordClock" and I don't think I'll ever go so fare I need it !
Old 03-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #46
Tod

Quote:
You writes:

"At this point the computers are 10 to 12 feet apart but I suppose I could remote them. "

They HAVE to be connected with ethernet - then you can - even I can control them here from Denmark if I just new teh address !

I don't know "WordClock" and I don't think I'll ever go so fare I need it !
Aah, okay, to be honest with you ksor, non of my studio computers are connected to the net. It's a policy I developed years ago just to be on the safe side.