Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Video Editing/Mangling

Old 12-14-2017, 12:17 PM   #1
Sound asleep
Human being with feelings

Default Video editing question: pausing the video

Let's say I have a video in reaper, and I want to add voice over to it, and then at one point I want the video to sort of pause, while the audio continues over it, and then resume again afterwards. I'm think I could just copy paste a single frame however many times is necessary, but I'm not sure about how to isolate a frame, and to easily copy paste it so as not to leave any empty spaces.

Can I set my grid to video frames? I would guess not? since I dont' think I told my reaper project how many frames per second I want, or anything like that.

Also, how good is the video rendering in reaper? I could do all of that in after effects, but I want to be able to adjust both the video and the audio at once.

Right now what I'm doing is I'm going through all of the audio, and matching up the video loosely, without the pauses, and then I am planning on just rendering the audio, and then going into After Effects, and doing all the video in there, so it lines up how I want with the audio I rendered, which kind of means I'm doing the video twice almost. which sucks.

Any ideas how I should go about this?
Old 12-14-2017, 05:50 PM   #2
SonicAxiom

you can easily determin the video properties by clicking on "Options -> Video item properties" at the top left of the video preview window. Ideally, you set up a project template for video editing that contains all necessary settings.

Open the project properties dialog and (in the video tab) set the video frame rate to the value corresponding to your video item. After that, go to Reaper's grid options and enable snapping and set grid to "frames". It's recommended to always place and move video items with frame grid snapping enabled and to also make all video cuts on the grid. If the video item happens to be placed between frames you might get flickering in the final video (not sure if this is the case with progressive video but it will most likely happen with interlaced video).

It's a pity that snapping to the grid cannot be set for individual tracks. This option would make it easier to always keep video items on video tracks on the grid and nudging audio without snapping would still be possible without repeatedly having to toggle global snapping on and off.

I'm not sure what happens if you have to edit several videos with differing frame rates in the same project as you can only set one frame rate. It's probably a good idea to convert all video material to a common frame rate prior to insert them into a Reaper project. I'd choose the frame rate that most of the material has and then choose this frame rate as the project frame rate.

Regarding your request to pause the video afaik there are two options: 1.) time-stretch / slow down the video (decreasing its play rate) by pulling the edge of the video item, or 2.) make the video preview window full-screen, make a screenshot of the desired frame, then re-import the still image and stretch it to the desired length. This workflow is not ideal but it works.

Generally, Reaper's video editing capabilities are sufficient for a lot of purposes and the output quality can be absolutely great provided that you have vlc player installed. I'm rendering to h.264/aac 320 kbps and the quality is absolutely flawless.

It's surely advisable to create a video editing project template with everything necessary already set up properly to be able to immediately start editing. My video template has various tracks like one with my own personal station ID logo, tracks with other logos (muted if I don't need them), some regularly used video fx and a voice-over track with the entire processing chain for my voice and even side-chaining to duck the video's audio track already prepared, so I only drop the video content into the project and speak and everything is immediately ready to be rendered.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:56 PM   #3
EpicSounds

to freeze frame you split the item and set the rate to 0.

Yes set your grid to frames
Old 12-14-2017, 07:09 PM   #4
SonicAxiom

Thanks, Epic, that's how it's done.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:12 AM   #5
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
It's a pity that snapping to the grid cannot be set for individual tracks. This option would make it easier to always keep video items on video tracks on the grid and nudging audio without snapping would still be possible without repeatedly having to toggle global snapping on and off.
I use the action: Grid: Toggle framerate grid to toggle it to frame grid to edit a video item, and then toggle it back to where it was. But yes, independent track grids would be awesome.

There is also a useful script: X-Raym_Quantize selected items start and end to closest frame
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:18 AM   #6
Sound asleep

Thanks guys, That's all going to be pretty useful.

I have one more worry though, and that's for video quality. So, I like the idea of being able to time everything in reaper, because it will work nicely to be able to have full control over the audio and video at the same time. For this project, I'm not worried about independent grids, because I'll just be moving the audio by ear anyway, just so it sounds nice, and the grid spacing doesn't really matter to me. But like you said, for the frames, that is important.

I am kind of worried about quality for rendering it so many times. I have a video that's 30 fps, and that's the one I will edit and stretch in reaper. But then I will want to add some FX and stuff on top of all that, which I'll need to do in After Effects. So, I know I'm going to want all my fps at 30 in all programs, but I'm not sure about reaper's rendering capabilities, and how to get the best quality there, or if that alone is a good reason to just do the audio in reaper and then do all the video in After Effects, without bothering in reaper.

Oh, one more thing. I have already sliced up all my items, which are therefore not going to all be cut right on a frame division. So, I guess that means I will need to replace them all, and re-cut everything?

It's really kind of delicate of a thing then, because if you ever move anything with snapping off, then you will never be able to get it snapped back on the frames again properly. So, I guess in that case, I would always leave snapping to grid on, and would even like to have a dialog that tells me "are you sure you want to turn off snapping in video mode?" and then just live with the small imprecision for the audio, which doesn't require such perfect timing.

Obviously if I was creating music from scratch in my video piece that would be different, since timing would become crucial for the audio, but that's not the case here.

Last edited by Sound asleep; 12-15-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:40 AM   #7
heda

you should render to uncompressed format if you are going to edit it later again.

the script will take care of your already sliced items
X-Raym_Quantize selected items start and end to closest frame
Old 12-15-2017, 09:47 AM   #8
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
I have one more worry though, and that's for video quality. So, I like the idea of being able to time everything in reaper, because it will work nicely to be able to have full control over the audio and video at the same time. For this project, I'm not worried about independent grids, because I'll just be moving the audio by ear anyway, just so it sounds nice, and the grid spacing doesn't really matter to me. But like you said, for the frames, that is important.

I am kind of worried about quality for rendering it so many times. I have a video that's 30 fps, and that's the one I will edit and stretch in reaper. But then I will want to add some FX and stuff on top of all that, which I'll need to do in After Effects. So, I know I'm going to want all my fps at 30 in all programs, but I'm not sure about reaper's rendering capabilities, and how to get the best quality there, or if that alone is a good reason to just do the audio in reaper and then do all the video in After Effects, without bothering in reaper.

Oh, one more thing. I have already sliced up all my items, which are therefore not going to all be cut right on a frame division. So, I guess that means I will need to replace them all, and re-cut everything?

It's really kind of delicate of a thing then, because if you ever move anything with snapping off, then you will never be able to get it snapped back on the frames again properly. So, I guess in that case, I would always leave snapping to grid on, and would even like to have a dialog that tells me "are you sure you want to turn off snapping in video mode?" and then just live with the small imprecision for the audio, which doesn't require such perfect timing.

Obviously if I was creating music from scratch in my video piece that would be different, since timing would become crucial for the audio, but that's not the case here.
Hi Sound asleep, I've made a few videos in Reaper and it never even dawned on me to use the frame rate grid, I just set things up so that they fit together. However, I always used a fade in/out so I guess it didn't matter.

Regarding the frame rate and quality of final render, I don't think you really have to worry too much until you do your final render, that's when you can select the settings you want to render with including the frame rate. However, I'm a total amateur when it comes to video so I could be wrong.

Regarding the actual quality, the first couple of videos I did with Reaper I thought turned out poorly, and I was disappointed. However, the last two I did turned out just as good or better than what I get from my purchased video software.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #9
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
I use the action: Grid: Toggle framerate grid to toggle it to frame grid to edit a video item, and then toggle it back to where it was. But yes, independent track grids would be awesome.

There is also a useful script: X-Raym_Quantize selected items start and end to closest frame
Hi heda, is this more of a visual thing?

Although I'm sure if you're quantizing it could be important, but if that's the case then you'd have to have the whole video quntized, right?

Quote:
the script will take care of your already sliced items
X-Raym_Quantize selected items start and end to closest frame
Aah, so you just select all the items, run the script and it lines everything up? I assume this works across several tracks, I usually end up with several video tracks.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:47 AM   #10
Sound asleep

Quote:

How would I go about using that script?
Old 12-15-2017, 11:37 AM   #11
EpicSounds

select the items and run from the action list
Old 12-15-2017, 01:38 PM   #12
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Hi heda, is this more of a visual thing?

Although I'm sure if you're quantizing it could be important, but if that's the case then you'd have to have the whole video quntized, right?

Aah, so you just select all the items, run the script and it lines everything up? I assume this works across several tracks, I usually end up with several video tracks.
Hi Tod.
Quantizing all the items to frame gris is not absolutely important. But it is good practice. If the final output for the project is a video, it makes sense to work with frames to make sure all frames are good. If not, REAPER will duplicate one video frame to the nearest frame if you split a video between two frames for example. If you don't mind about it and you never had the problem noticed, then you may be fine with it.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:34 AM   #13
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
to freeze frame you split the item and set the rate to 0.

Yes set your grid to frames
Sweet that's exactly what I want. Do you know of any quick way to set to rate to 0? I found that there is an action to set rate to 1.0, and then there are some to decrease or increase by ~6%, but I don't think that the math would really easily workout, unless I repeated the action a bunch of times so that the margin of error is smaller than the precision of the rate meter? I will have to do this quite a lot, so if I could have an action that did that for me, that would really help.

Quote:
select the items and run from the action list
Ok, I got it figured out. I found the script with google, and then just saved is as .lua in my scripts folder, and imported the script into my actions list. I had done that before, I just kind of forgot exactly how I did it. It seemed to work pretty well, but for a couple of the items it stretched the item out backwards, which is normally good, however my item didn't exist before that point, so I just cut it after the loop, and moved it back. I don't think that will be a problem much though. Stretching it out like that should usually be the desired behaviour.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:53 AM   #14
Sound asleep

I opened up a "video" mode that I once had made, so I may be forgetting some of the options I had set, but moving the video items is really slow now. Pressing play and everything like that is really fast, but anything to do with moving or cutting the video item or even moving the cursor has really slowed down. I have a good enough PC, and my CPU and ram are not even breaking a sweat, so I don't really understand that.

Any ideas?

It is really bad when I'm zoomed in, but not so bad when I'm zoomed way out.

Last edited by Sound asleep; 12-16-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:27 PM   #15
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Happens here, too. Hope this can be fixed somehow.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:26 PM   #16
EpicSounds

Quote:
Sweet that's exactly what I want. Do you know of any quick way to set to rate to 0?
I've been doing it from the item properties. I'm sure a script could be made.

Quote:
I opened up a "video" mode that I once had made, so I may be forgetting some of the options I had set, but moving the video items is really slow now. Pressing play and everything like that is really fast, but anything to do with moving or cutting the video item or even moving the cursor has really slowed down. I have a good enough PC, and my CPU and ram are not even breaking a sweat, so I don't really understand that.

Any ideas?

When you zoom in reaper has to read the file in a different way, the peak file isn't used when zoomed in past a certain point.

For video it's best to right-click, source properties, and set to ignore audio.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:56 PM   #17
inarisound

Sorry guys, supper lazy to read through all comments so I have no idea if someone already suggested it.

It is supper easy!
All you have to do is to cut fragment you want to stop on and then stretch it till the moment you want to continue.

The process is exactly the same as you would've done that for audio. I think it's Alt (Option) drag.
inarisound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:21 AM   #18
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by inarisound View Post
It is supper easy!
All you have to do is to cut fragment you want to stop on and then stretch it till the moment you want to continue.

The process is exactly the same as you would've done that for audio. I think it's Alt (Option) drag.
Wonderful inarisound, that's quick and easy :-)

! EDIT: While inspecting the item properties... this technique manipulates the playrate of item, but still is not 0, so then when you stretch the one still frame for more that minute or more, then last frame of item will not be the same as first one. But for shorter durations of "stopped frame" it will work, I believe.

BTW: By using default actions it is impossible to set item's playrate to 0.00, because even if you execute the "-6%" action 17 times, playrate will stop decreasing at some 0.3xxxxx (seems like 16x6 and then x0.6 and approx 0,4 remains that cannot be fully subtracted without remain :-(

Last edited by akademie; 12-17-2017 at 12:30 PM. Reason: fixing some typing errors (z vs. y due to QWERTZ / QWERTY keyb layout :(
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:58 AM   #19
Sound asleep

Quote:
I've been doing it from the item properties. I'm sure a script could be made.

When you zoom in reaper has to read the file in a different way, the peak file isn't used when zoomed in past a certain point.

For video it's best to right-click, source properties, and set to ignore audio.
Not sure I noticed much of a difference, but good to know for "ignore audio" I wish I would have seen the "copy to all video source files" or whatever though, but that is a handy feature also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inarisound View Post
Sorry guys, supper lazy to read through all comments so I have no idea if someone already suggested it.

It is supper easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Wonderfull inarisound, that's quick and easy :-)

! EDIT: While inspecting the item properties... this technique manipulates the plzrate of item, but still is not 0, so then when zou stretch the one still frame for more that minute or more, then last frame of item will not be the same as first one. But for shorter durations of "stopped frame" it will work, I believe.

BTW: By using default actions it is impossible to set item's playrate to 0.00, because even if you execute the "-6%" action 17 times, playrate will stop decreasing at some 0.3xxxxx (seems like 16x6 and then x0.6 and approx 0,4 remains that cannot be fully subtracted without remain :-(
Also good to know, thx.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:53 PM   #20
EpicSounds

cfillion just made me a script

Save as "set item playrate to 0.lua"

Code:
for ii=0, reaper.CountSelectedMediaItems(0) - 1 do

local item = reaper.GetSelectedMediaItem(0, ii)

for ti=0, reaper.GetMediaItemNumTakes(item) - 1 do

local take = reaper.GetMediaItemTake(item, ti)

reaper.SetMediaItemTakeInfo_Value(take, 'D_PLAYRATE', 0.000001)

end

end

reaper.UpdateArrange()
Old 12-17-2017, 09:14 PM   #21
Sound asleep

Quote:
cfillion just made me a script

Save as "set item playrate to 0.lua"

Code:
for ii=0, reaper.CountSelectedMediaItems(0) - 1 do

local item = reaper.GetSelectedMediaItem(0, ii)

for ti=0, reaper.GetMediaItemNumTakes(item) - 1 do

local take = reaper.GetMediaItemTake(item, ti)

reaper.SetMediaItemTakeInfo_Value(take, 'D_PLAYRATE', 0.000001)

end

end

reaper.UpdateArrange()
Nice, thank you for showing me that, and thank you cfillion for making it. That's awesome.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:19 PM   #22
Eliseat

This is now very easy with this new preset: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=214233

Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote