Old 02-25-2020, 02:15 PM   #1
ripgtr
Human being with feelings

Default Can the snap offset be locked to a bar?

I've been searching for this forever and have never been able to find it.

The little white triangle at the bottom left of an item, I know it can be dragged over to make a snap point in the middle of an item. I have some questions.

First, what is it called? I can't find it mentioned in the manual and it would be easier to search if I knew what it was called.

Is there a way to lock it to a bar line, when I change tempo? I want to use this to lock the first beat of a bar and then change tempo til the beats fall on a grid. I do this for learning songs and getting the tempo. I find that even doing this manually is easier than he "get tempo from selection, I just chop off everything before the first beat, but I'd like to not have to do that. Just set the snap line and it locks to that bar line. So far everything I've tried hasn't worked.
ripgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:04 AM   #2
jrk

snap offset handle? I dunno. Get the handle on yr first beat, drag the item so that it snaps to a bar, and it should stay snapped - as long as the track timebase is beats?

Last edited by jrk; 02-26-2020 at 09:10 AM.
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:49 AM   #3
ripgtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
snap offset handle? I dunno. Get the handle on yr first beat, drag the item so that it snaps to a bar, and it should stay snapped - as long as the track timebase is beats?
Yea the problem with timebase is beats is, I don't want the tempo of the audio to change.

I have a rough solution - chop off the beginning of audio up to a beat, then it stays stuck at the beginning, if you move it all the way over to the left. Then it doesn't - can't - move left and I can get a click/drum beat to match. Not the most elegant solution. Was hoping for something that wasn't as many steps, but it works, so ...
ripgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 04:08 PM   #4
jrk

Oh right, yes. You're changing the tempo. I remember.

How's this working out for you? I should think it's only really going to fly for pieces with constant tempo. It seems an unusual way of going about it.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:29 PM   #5
jrk

Beats (position only) should do it. Or does that only apply to the start of the item, rather than the handle?