Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 09-24-2017, 09:09 AM   #1
millertone
Human being with feelings

Default Stop Transport at End of Selected Media Item

Hi All,

I do a lot of sample editing for games and have been working towards creating a more efficient workflow. I use key commands to zoom media items, move cursor to next media item, and a macro for making an item mono and normalizing it.

Here's my dilemma: Let's say I'm zoomed in to a short media item and I want to edit the tail. When I audition the item, the POV updates before I have a chance to manually stop the transport, and so lose focus of the item I'm editing.

One trick that would really improve things for me is a setting that stops the transport at the end of the selected media item.

Can anyone think of a macro that would allow this?

Thanks, Matt
millertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:20 AM   #2
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertone View Post
One trick that would really improve things for me is a setting that stops the transport at the end of the selected media item.
I use SWS marker actions for exactly this. I have a marker named "!1016", and if marker actions are turned on, this stops the play cursor when it reaches the marker. It is a bit annoying to manually move that marker around to the correct place, but probably a simple macro could be written to put in such markers at the and of the selected item.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:32 AM   #3
nofish

Hi and welcome to Reaper forums.

If you have SWS extensions installed (everyone should anyway IMO, for the added functionality), there's "Xenakios/SWS: Toggle stop playback at end of time selection".

So you could toggle this on and have something like this custom action for Play sel. item (stop at item end):

(SWS: Save time selection, slot 1)
Time selection: Set time selection to items
Transport: Play
(SWS: Restore time selection, slot 1)

(The Save / Restore time selection action if you want to keep previous time selection.)

edit:
Ah crap, the Save / Restore time selection thing makes no sense. It would start play, then move the time sel. to somewhere else so it it wouldn't stop at end of item as intended.
Sorry, didn't actually test before writing.

Last edited by nofish; 09-24-2017 at 11:02 AM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:41 PM   #4
millertone

Thank you both for the responses!

I think adding a button on the toolbar for "Toggle stop playback at end of time selection"is perfect, even without a key command, as my cursor will be hovering over the media item for editing.

Best, Matt
millertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:10 PM   #5
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertone View Post
Thank you both for the responses!

I think adding a button on the toolbar for "Toggle stop playback at end of time selection"is perfect, even without a key command, as my cursor will be hovering over the media item for editing.

Best, Matt
Maybe it's been mentioned, but if you hit enter where you want to stop the cursor, then the edit cursor moves right to that position.

Aah, but I see you want to stop at the end of the item. You can add "move cursor to end of time selection" so the cursor with go the the end of the time selection, in a macro.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:31 PM   #6
Andywanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
...So you could toggle this on and have something like this custom action for Play sel. item (stop at item end):

(SWS: Save time selection, slot 1)
Time selection: Set time selection to items
Transport: Play
(SWS: Restore time selection, slot 1)...
Maybe use "Transport: Toggle stop playback at end of loop if repeat is disabled" and "Time selection: Set time selection to items".

EDIT:

I just tried it and it works, but put them in the reverse order - "Time Selection" first, then "Transport".

EDIT #2:

Keep in mind that because the "Transport" action is a toggle, it will turn off on a second click. So if you move to another item, you'll have to run it twice.

Andy M. VST

Last edited by Andywanders; 09-24-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Andywanders is offline   Reply With Quote