Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 01-22-2007, 04:04 PM   #41
Dstruct
Human being with feelings

?

didn't you had it (almost perfectly) working (with this pop-up version)? or what was the trick there?
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:15 PM   #42
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandruff View Post
?

didn't you had it (almost perfectly) working (with this pop-up version)? or what was the trick there?
presumably the messagebox popping up prevented the RME driver from failing the way it is (by introducing some delay between the sequence of events)...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:22 PM   #43
Dstruct

means? rme should do something? if so, what?
Old 01-22-2007, 04:32 PM   #44
pipelineaudio
Mortal

RME should come clean. In all my dealings with them, they misdirect for as long as hey possibly can tll their back is against the wall and they finally admit (like in the case of the first gen HDSP9652) that there actually is a hardware problem, contrary to the fixes shown on their site.

But theyll let you stew in the wrong direction for a year or more, even after having been asked point blank again and again.

I dont believe for one instant RME are telling the whole story of whats going on....what of the 255 PCI latency setting as well? WHats being yanked on here?

JUstin has shown he will bend over backwards to accomadate any company that gives a crap about their customers. RME is being given this chance, HAS been given this chance for more than a year, yet except for sopme guys at synthax support, have not even acknowledged reaper

balls in their court, time to pony up
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:06 PM   #45
Justin
Administrator

try this one:

http://reaper.fm/files/reaper169_rewireupd2.zip
Old 01-22-2007, 06:04 PM   #46
Dstruct

yes, this one works as the one with the pop-up.

BUT: only with "pre-zero output buffers" enabled (didn't tried this with your previous rme-versions)!

mmmh, "pre-zero output buffers" means the driver has problems/bugs? more cpu-usage always sounds bad in my ears

Last edited by Dstruct; 01-22-2007 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:12 PM   #47
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
I dont believe for one instant RME are telling the whole story of whats going on....what of the 255 PCI latency setting as well? WHats being yanked on here?
what's your problem with this setting?

rme has fixed so many driver- and digicheck-bugs i've reported to them in the past! really. and most in a very short time (like justin does). there are some features and some smaller gui-issues i would like to see them implemented.

just one month ago my d/a converter got damaged on my card. didn't had warranty anymore. but: i got it repaired for FREE in 8 days!

shall i list the BUGS justin hasn't fixed yet in reaper? there are plenty!
Old 01-22-2007, 06:26 PM   #48
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
yes, this one works as the one with the pop-up.

BUT: only with "pre-zero output buffers" enabled (didn't tried this with your previous rme-versions)!

mmmh, "pre-zero output buffers" means the driver has problems/bugs? more cpu-usage always sounds bad in my ears
pre-zero output buffers does a few things, including the shutdown zeroing wait stuff... you definitely want it enabled on RME, and the cpu use isn't that major...

The stuff we do to prevent the glitch at exit, is a total hack, of just waiting and zeroing for a long time.. I really think this is some issue with their driver (perhaps the time between closing and unloading of the DLL is relevant)...
Old 01-22-2007, 06:33 PM   #49
Dstruct

ok, 1.70alpha1 installed and "pre-zero buffers" enabled! but i still get the glitch/crackle most of the time when closing reaper while playback. so your hack isn't fully working?

at least when reopening reaper there's silence now! thanks! this was the biggest "problem" for me, as it made me always thinking of "something isn't robust here" ...

of course i'll also forward this stuff to rme ...

Last edited by Dstruct; 01-22-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:02 PM   #50
Justin
Administrator

testing on a hdsp9652 with driver v2.94, and I get none of these issues either with 1.69 or 1.70alpha1...
Old 01-22-2007, 07:05 PM   #51
Dstruct

ok, might be. only use the newer 3.0 drivers. will forward it to rme ... thanks!
Old 01-22-2007, 07:08 PM   #52
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
rme has fixed so many driver- and digicheck-bugs i've reported to them in the past! really. and most in a very short time (like justin does). there are some features and some smaller gui-issues i would like to see them implemented.

shall i list the BUGS justin hasn't fixed yet in reaper? there are plenty!

I think the real thing is that people point out bugs, and until we figure it out we take it seriously.. whereas I think pipeline's frustration with RME comes from hearing them say "it's not our fault, it's Vegas's fault", when vegas+rme has some behavior that vegas+no other audio driver does.. same goes for reaper.. the rme glitch sound is something (almost completely) unique to them... nearly every other major soundcard driver acts VERY differently.. so hearing them say "it's the hosts fault" is a bit ridiculous (even though it may be true some of the time)
Old 01-22-2007, 07:22 PM   #53
Dstruct

yeah like i said: i don't care which component has the bug. as a customer i just want to get it fixed (as these things sum up to a point where it can drive you crazy sometimes).

maybe the direct communication between all the involved developers/companies should be improved here massively in such cases?
Old 01-22-2007, 08:36 PM   #54
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:

maybe the direct communication between all the involved developers/companies should be improved here massively in such cases?
I think you are having selective hearing

RME is being their usual standoffish self

We have been begging them for help for more than a year now

Justin as always is more than willing to try and work it out

RME as always is too good to bother
Old 01-23-2007, 09:56 AM   #55
chip mcdonald

Could it be the sample rate resetting from what Reaper is asking it to be to another program/system?

My Motu 24 i/o doesn't hang on sounds, but if I close/start an audio app with a different sample rate (44.1>48) I'll get a brief click.

... which isn't any big deal...

..and if we're talking about a brief click on close here, wouldn't Justin working on something like... oh, I don't know... maybe plugin assigned knobs on each track <g> be a better time expenditure...?
Old 01-23-2007, 10:29 AM   #56
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
Could it be the sample rate resetting from what Reaper is asking it to be to another program/system?
not in my case. all my programs output at 48kHz (same as reaper). i even have my card fixed (via dds) at 48kHz. so even if another program would output at a different samplerate, my card never would switch to it.

Last edited by Dstruct; 01-29-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:35 AM   #57
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post

..and if we're talking about a brief click on close here, wouldn't Justin working on something like... oh, I don't know... maybe plugin assigned knobs on each track <g> be a better time expenditure...?
unbelievable, im forced to agree with you here
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:59 AM   #58
pipelineaudio
Mortal

its often not a brief click though, but a stuck buffer that will play until other audio is called up. It wreaks havoc while recording as well, as it ca throw transients thru the phones, into the vocal mics before the song actually starts
Old 01-23-2007, 07:29 PM   #59
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
its often not a brief click though, but a stuck buffer that will play until other audio is called up. It wreaks havoc while recording as well, as it ca throw transients thru the phones, into the vocal mics before the song actually starts
Does this happen randomly, or is it *always* reproducible?

Does it do it in all configurations? I've had things like that happen with other cards, and it always seems like it's some configuration the card wouldn't like (like 44.1/24 vs. 44.1 16, etc...)..

/ it's ok, I'm not programming plugin assigned knobs for track panels
// I'd suggest switch to MOTU, but they're also about as helpful as this plate of rice noodles in front of me