Old 12-08-2018, 10:15 AM   #1
rose62
Human being with feelings

Default Collaboration via email

A buddy and I are experiencing difficulty passing a project back and forth via email. I have my rendering set to MP3. What are some other things that we need to be aware?
rose62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:22 AM   #2
TC7

You're not giving much info about the project and how you are collaborating.

Can't imagine why you'd send mp3s back and forth unless you are just in a writing phase of the project and want to trade ideas... and not trade material that could be eventually used in final work.

Email limits the size of the docs you can trade... Why not use Dropbox or something similar so you could just pass full copies of the session back and forth from storage you could both edit...?
TC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:29 AM   #3
rose62

I'm not giving much info because I'm such a novice that I don't know what's relevant, LOL! He sent me a track just to illustrate the tempo (for which he used no kind of metronome) and the mood and I opened the download with Reaper, added a bunch of stuff, muted what he's sent me and then sent it back. When he tried to open it the tracks were present but each was labled, "offline." He said that it came to him in WAVE form so I rendered it in MP3 format and resent it but he still can't access the file that I sent him.

But, yes, we'll get together in person once the final arrangement is done and record it in a denser format.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:37 AM   #4
Glennbo

I do long distance recording with a friend using MP3s as the reference track.

I'll compose some music and leave some places for him to play, then email him an MP3 mix of what I have so far. He imports it into REAPER, adds some tracks of him playing, then renders each track he played into separate wave files.

Once he's made five or six wave files, he puts them up on a web site where I can download them and import them one by one into new tracks of my project.

I've used REAPER the whole time, but when we started doing this about 15 years ago, he was still using Sonar and it worked exactly the same. Any of the songs at my music page that credit "Poly" on keys or guitars were done like that, and I've never even met him face to face. He's a virtuoso who wanted to play a synth part on a song of mine 15 years ago and since then have worked on many projects together over email.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:38 AM   #5
Dex

Just to be clear, you sent him the .rpp file and all of the recordings you did (in mp3 or wave or whatever format), right? The rpp file doesn't contain the actual recordings you did, it just contains “pointers” to them.
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:44 AM   #6
rose62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Just to be clear, you sent him the .rpp file and all of the recordings you did (in mp3 or wave or whatever format), right? The rpp file doesn't contain the actual recordings you did, it just contains “pointers” to them.
I suppose that's what I did. But I'm so ignorant it might not be. But, if that the easiest mistake to make, that's what I did!
Old 12-08-2018, 11:59 AM   #7
Glennbo

For someone to add parts to your project they only need a single stereo MP3 to use as a reference when playing their parts.

They import the stereo MP3 into REAPER and then record their parts, which they would need to send you back as separate individual wave files, unless they are going to be mixing the project.

If the person you are sending this stuff to will be doing the final mix of the project would they would be the one to need individual tracks.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:24 AM   #8
Dupal

Default Check out MuCol.ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose62 View Post
A buddy and I are experiencing difficulty passing a project back and forth via email. I have my rendering set to MP3. What are some other things that we need to be aware?
For details pls refer to https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=219539
Dupal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:28 PM   #9
hopi

do we assume your buddy is also using reaper?

If yes, then you could do this and avoid some hassles:

Open up Project Settings
on the media tab, in the first field, type Audio Files
click Save as default project settings and OK

Then...

1 Make a folder on your HD called Reaper Projects
2 with your project open, under File, choose Save As
and in the dialog that comes up, first navigate to the folder you made in #1, then give your project a name, and check the first two boxes at the bottom, then Save.

Now you can work on the project and just use Save until you are done.

OK when you want to sent it... go to Reaper Projects folder, inside that will be the sub folder of your project, as you named it.

Use winrar or 7zip or whatever to make a zip file of that named project folder... you will send that zip to your buddy...

If it is too big for direct email, go to Wetransfer.com and use the free version to send him up to 2 gb's.

Now if he is not using reaper, it could be a whole other method.