Old 08-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #81
politcat
Human being with feelings

go ahead and strictly follow the instructions in post #7. that's the best way, to see for yourself
politcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #82
keys

Yes, say map all the rotories to CC147 with 2nd data value set to 107, 108, 109 etc. set to relative 2's compliment.

Then you can midi learn in reaper.

ie reaper will see a rotary with value cc=147+data=107, cc=147+data=108 etc.

Ive got pads set to cc147 note values 50, 51 etc.
keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #83
Sound asleep

ok, cool, i get it, do i get a full 128 cc data 2s for every assign cc? that would a blissful shitload.

what i like too is that i can use a CC that is reserved for just whatever a user wants to do, so i can use one of those, and then assign my 8 knobs using that, in 16 patches, which is more than enough. my pads, i think i will take a slightly different approach, since i think i want them transmitting notes rather than cc data, so i'll have to use a assign cc without the data 2 modifier in order to get that functionality i guess.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #84
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by politcat View Post
go ahead and strictly follow the instructions in post #7. that's the best way, to see for yourself
I am very grateful you made that awesome post explaining how you can configure the axiom to work with reaper, but i'm not much of the follow directions exactly type.

i mean, i will want to use my axiom a little differently than you did, that's why for me, understanding exactly what is what is the important thing. i don't necessarily just want to get it working, i'm trying to understand it as much as possible, that way i can use it to my own style to the most of its abilities. so sorry if i'm annoying, i know you already gave alot of good information, i'm not trying to be a dick.

but just some things, i'm not sure about like, how come you chose cc147 every time? i'm assuming it's just some random user definable cc assign value.

but then you seem to choose certain data 2 values, not starting at 00, which makes me wonder why, and you always choose channel 00, which i wonder why as well.

i'm the sort, that if i meet a fisherman, i will not beg him for fish, but i will instead beg him to teach me how to fish.

i'm sorry if i'm a little annoying. but thank you, you've been very helpful to me so far.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #85
keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
i'm not sure about like, how come you chose cc147 every time? i'm assuming it's just some random user definable cc assign value.
check out page 18 & 19 of the axiom user manual. It describes endless controllers and 'relative' rotaries.
keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #86
politcat

@Sound asleep

i simply think that if you physically go through the steps with your axiom you'll understand better. and of course yes to what keys said above
Old 08-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #87
Sound asleep

Quote:
@Sound asleep

i simply think that if you physically go through the steps with your axiom you'll understand better. and of course yes to what keys said above
i see, 147 is a plus minus, a boolean parameter, of 127 or 0, which i suppose would allow to have a relative control, which is good for knobs, meaning you won't have to use the null feature and knobs should just move as you move the knob from whatever position they began in.

works well for pan, but the downside is that if you just choose some other CC and use the null method, it gives you a nice big center zone for easily getting the pan centered which is nice. but having the position take off from where you left it every time i think is better.

I think i'm going to go a different route slightly. not really gonna use the controller to mix that much, although, i do like it, i may end up doing that one day, but for now, it's just pan and pan width for selected track for first two controllers, and the rest will be for VSTs. Volume fader will control volume for selected track. your method won't work as well for that since a pot is infinite in rotation but a fader has an upper and lower limit. so i'll have to use the null feature for that.

how did you figure out what 147 did? i don't see that in any of my documentation for the axiom. i have one list that goes to 144 then skips to 255, and then another list that starts at 00 and goes to 122.

i still don't understand fully why you started the data 2 at 46.

not sure if your model has null mode, but null mode, makes it so that moving a control does nothing until the control meets the same value as the data. that way you don't get jumping around of fader.not sure why channel assign 00 either.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #88
politcat

everything was trial and error for me

i hope i saved a few people a lot of time. just giving back a little...
Old 08-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #89
Sound asleep

do you think there is a way i could get one knob to let me select next or previous track depending on direction? i feel there would need to be a specific action for that made for cc input. but maybe you have some ideas.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #90
politcat

yeah, just go into ACTIONS and search "go to next track" click add and hit something on your axiom

works with ">>" button here

do the same for previous

ediit...you need 2 for that. there is no action for any direction

Last edited by politcat; 08-21-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:09 AM   #91
ivansc

Interesting read, just picked up on this today s I am looking for a more up to date MIDI keyboard.
Since I already have two Korg Nano Kontrollers and Nano pad working just fine, I suppose this could make a great buy if I decided I wanted to be able to control plugins without mouse and keyboard involvement.
And the programming DOES look pretty straightforward and undoubtedly less flaky than Automap.
One slightly off topic question: Is there THAT much difference between the two keybeds?
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:20 AM   #92
Sound asleep

Quote:
yeah, just go into ACTIONS and search "go to next track" click add and hit something on your axiom

works with ">>" button here

do the same for previous

ediit...you need 2 for that. there is no action for any direction
Ya! I need buttons. All my buttons are already mapped, I was hoping maybe I could use a knob in such a way that turning it left is recognized as one signal and right another, that way I could cycle through tracks with a knob rather than 2 buttons. I'm considering using my fast forward and rewind but I think I need go to next/previous marker more.

Its too bad I can't map those extra buttons to anything. They seem only to have internal function unless you are using direct link. In actions editor if you try to map, when you hit one, nothing happens.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:55 AM   #93
politcat

i realized that and edited my post. there are many ways to set up

i use my pc kybd arrows and numbers to navigate markers
Old 08-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #94
Sound asleep

Quote:
i realized that and edited my post. there are many ways to set up

i use my pc kybd arrows and numbers to navigate markers
ya, me too, i actually use my arrows left and right for markers and up and down for tracks.

it would have been cool though to get both of those onto my controller. but, it's not that big a deal i guess, since i won't be using the controller far from my keyboard anyways.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #95
politcat

i'm currently using my axiom different from what's in my post #7. i should take some time and post what i'm doing. it's much better
Old 08-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #96
Sound asleep

Quote:
i'm currently using my axiom different from what's in my post #7. i should take some time and post what i'm doing. it's much better
you've peaked my interest.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:04 AM   #97
politcat

i've only been able to get in here for a few minutes at a time but...

basically, instead of trying to create fast non-mouse access to all tracks, fx etc i now have the axiom functions focused on one track at a time. i use the pc kybd to quickly scroll to and select a track. everything i do on the axiom is now directed at that one track alone

like pads to show fx, sends, or fx parameters separately (actually show for all tracks). rwd and fwd to cycle thru, select and float plugins (float one at a time or keep them all open). pads for bypass fx, solo, mute, vol to zero, env mode. and of course knobs for vol, pan, width and plugin parameters on focused track and plugin

ok i have to get working

Last edited by politcat; 08-23-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #98
Sound asleep

Quote:
i've only been able to get in here for a few minutes at a time but...

basically, instead of trying to create fast non-mouse access to all tracks, fx etc i now have the axiom functions focused on one track at a time. i use the pc kybd to quickly scroll to and select a track. everything i do on the axiom is now directed at that one track alone

like pads to show fx, sends, or fx parameters separately (actually show for all tracks). rwd and fwd to cycle thru, select and float plugins (float one at a time or keep them all open). pads for bypass fx, solo, mute, vol to zero, env mode. and of course knobs for vol, pan, width and plugin parameters on focused track and plugin

ok i have to get working
ya, that's more the workflow i would have. maybe i would get one patch to go nuts like that on selected track, and then another patch would be more for whatever i midi learn to a parameter. maybe still keeping track volume on fader, and maybe pan and pan width on first two knobs and rest of knobs for VST midi learnt parameters.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:04 AM   #99
politcat

sick as a dog today so here's some detail on how i'm currently using the Axiom for faster workflow and avoiding the mouse

first, i'm using White Tie's beautiful Imperial Theme on a two screen setup. second, i now have the Axiom on my desk's roll out shelf which puts it between me and the mouse/pc kybrd (that kind of forces me to use it even more). also, note that i only mix in Reaper, all writing/arranging is done in Live. of course one can go from writing to mixing "mode" in Reaper

left/right pc kybd arrows to scroll thru tracks
just hold one down and fly. one problem tho, if Reaper's main window isn't focused you can't use the pc kybd to do stuff in Reaper. i solved that by assigning the highest black key on the Axiom, Bb, to an action that focuses the main window
rwd and fwd to cycle thru and float plugins on focused track
i really didn't find myself using these buttons in the usual way to get around, just not useful in Reaper. they're assigned to actions such that fwd floats the next plugin while closing all others. rwd floats the previous while leaving all others open. i assigned the highest white key on the Axiom, C, to an action that cycles thru floating plugins (also very useful when focus is not on plugins)
pads to show fx, sends, or fx parameters separately (in the mixer window)
altho this takes 3 pads only 2 are constantly used. one alternates between fx and sends. show fx/sends/parameters is implemented in Reaper in a clumsy way which took me awhile to figure out. so, if you want to use the pads this way let me know and i'll give more details
pads for bypass fx, solo, mute, env mode
i'm always needing to switch the env mode between read and trim after doing some automation. this makes it really quick
knobs for vol, pan, width and plugin parameters on focused track and plugin
this is the only time i use different midi channels now. ch. 1 for fx parameters and ch. 2 for track controls. all fx use default mappings. that's something i really like, float a plugin and the knobs are ready to go
keys to choose markers, go fwd/back one measure
i use the bottom octave to choose markers. i typically have 7-8, rarely more than 10. the next two black keys are assigned to custom actions for moving one measure at time

it's surprising how fast this kind of setup becomes second nature, not unlike playing an instrument. i'm getting around very quickly and easily

let me know if you need more details about any aspect of the setup
Old 10-01-2012, 08:45 AM   #100
JN99

I have an Oxygen 49 I just got and have a question. I was able to quickly and easily map all the transport controls, sliders, and knobs I wanted for the initial setup - just basic mappings for the sliders and pan knobs to tracks 1-8. I also mapped the pads below the slider to mute and the 9th slider to the master. All is well it seems.

When I initially setup the sliders and knobs they were set to Relative and would jump when I tried to use them. Just a slight twist of a knob and track pan in Reaper would jump hard right or left and not adjust properly. So I changed cc for these to Absolute and that seems to work, Reaper knobs track to the Oxygen adjustments.

Then I looked on the forum for some more tips and found in a couple threads the recommendation to set knobs and sliders to Relative mode so they don't jump around. That is exactly opposite to my experience. Is there something else I need to do to get these to work correctly in Relative mode? For me, in Relative mode they simply were not usable.

Also, I am using the "Track: Set pan for track X" action. I noticed there is also a "Track: Link volume/pan controls to MIDI volume/pan controls" action. I don't understand the difference or how exactly a single link action would work for both volume/pan. Maybe that is the one I want and not the track pan I am using?
JN99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #101
JN99

bump...
JN99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 02:59 AM   #102
dave_van_damn

Default newbie

So if I follow this guide for my M-Audio Axiom Air Mini 32, will I be able to use all the functions of the Axiom Air Mini 32? Or should I buy a different USB MIDI keyboard.

Sorry, for dumb questions, I'm totally a beginner with Midi stuff.
dave_van_damn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:34 AM   #103
politcat

i don't see why not
Old 10-27-2016, 04:47 AM   #104
G-Sun

So, I've got an Axiom25 1st gen
and would like to
- Have all midi keys/knobs/pads on ch1
- Have transport on ch 15 or 16, mapped to target cc
- Optional map encoders to different cc (think I'll manage this)

I believe I got the right manual,
but, it's rather complicated to me.

Can I set transport/groupB to a dedicated channel
or do I need to use global for that?
Then groupA to channel?

Last edited by G-Sun; 10-27-2016 at 05:09 AM.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:44 AM   #105
G-Sun

Ok,
set global to ch15
zone1 ch1
zone2 ch2
zone3 ch3

Now, how do I change midi cc for transport and knobs?

Ok, got it
(turn knob, adv., ctrl ass, cc number)

Last edited by G-Sun; 10-27-2016 at 08:14 AM.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote